Theme Settings

Slate Cloud Plum Berry Lime Orange

Photo

Shuttle 358

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#41 Cocks 'n' Asses

Cocks 'n' Asses

Cocks 'N' Asses Everybody... Cocks 'N' Asses.

• umbiciles
  • 755 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:30 AM

I finally got the chance to get some Shuttle 358. Downloaded Frames and Chessa. So far im really enjoying it. Was my listening music lastnight when i was going to sleep. Still haven't given both the albums an intense or thorough listen just yet, but definately liking what i've heard so far.

#42 static

static

chiastic slide

• lentic catachresis
  • 17006 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 11:06 AM

shuttle was my bedtime music most of this month

#43 DoTheySmoke....Astroturf?

DoTheySmoke....Astroturf?
  • umbiciles
  • 573 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 06:36 AM

Listening to this guy properly for the first time. Optimal.lp is pretty great so far.
What do I get when I'm finished with this album?

#44 static

static

chiastic slide

• lentic catachresis
  • 17006 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 07:19 AM

Cheesa or Frame

#45 Abelian

Abelian

Trillionaire

• umbiciles
  • 7252 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 07:49 AM

All three albums are great; since you started with the first one, might as well keep going chronologically and get Frame. It's my favorite.

#46 static

static

chiastic slide

• lentic catachresis
  • 17006 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 08:28 AM

every time i ride a train i have to listen to Frame... if not the whole album, at least the title track

#47 charles

charles

academic excellence

• umbiciles
  • 17896 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 08:33 AM

love love love

#48 sep

sep
  • umbiciles
  • 2851 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 12:13 AM

"Logical" is incredibly beautiful, quite possibly the greatest piece of music ever, for me. I never get tired of it.

#49 Abelian

Abelian

Trillionaire

• umbiciles
  • 7252 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 12:46 AM

Field recording from the womb.

#50 sep

sep
  • umbiciles
  • 2851 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 01:06 AM

That's a great description. It also sounds like someone visiting Planet Earth in a wobbly little spacecraft, observing blue oceans reflecting sunlight, clouds and the plants and rainbows and how rich in life it is. It's really organic and pretty, very much like being inside a womb, new to a wondrous world.

#51 Guest_roygbiv;_*

Guest_roygbiv;_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2009 - 01:14 AM

That's a great description. It also sounds like someone visiting Planet Earth in a wobbly little spacecraft, observing blue oceans reflecting sunlight, clouds and the plants and rainbows and how rich in life it is. It's really organic and pretty, very much like being inside a womb, new to a wondrous world.

what a dandy description

#52 sep

sep
  • umbiciles
  • 2851 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 01:51 AM

i like it.

#53 Vairiant

Vairiant

I like my pockets fat not flat

• umbiciles
  • 9543 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 04:08 AM

about to hear frame for first time

#54 sep

sep
  • umbiciles
  • 2851 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 05:33 AM

Frame is amazing.

#55 ghost

ghost
  • sweater kid
  • 7421 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 05:48 AM

What do you guys think about Fenton, his Japanese alias?

#56 tremulants

tremulants
  • umbiciles
  • 4175 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 06:08 AM

First track on Frame is my favourite. Otherwordly.

#57 Abelian

Abelian

Trillionaire

• umbiciles
  • 7252 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 08:08 AM

What do you guys think about Fenton, his Japanese alias?

Not a frequent listen for me, though I do like. "Neon Giraffe" stands out for me, beautiful song, but maybe a bit too reminiscent of some of my favorite Shuttle358 songs.

Dan Abram's solo album Stream is an interesting listen, further away from the Shuttle sound. More austere and mechanical.

Top 5 Shuttle358 songs anyone?

1. Logical
2. Fissure
3. Frame
4. Lyndon Tree
5. Swarm / Gone / Floops / Out Out / Broom / Calty / Isonpgn / Spiff / Chessa / Blast / Duh / Nerf / West Nile / Scrapbook

I usually have a top 3 or 4 songs and then a huge tie after that. Which songs are at the top tend to rotate, but Logical has been a favorite for a long time.

#58 static

static

chiastic slide

• lentic catachresis
  • 17006 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 10:56 AM

hmm....

Scrapbook/Frame/Ash have always been top 3 for me

#59 Abelian

Abelian

Trillionaire

• umbiciles
  • 7252 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 06:16 AM

i just wanted to say that I think Shuttle358 is just as good for the background as it is for focused listening.

i disagree. while shuttle does have some interest upon extremely focused listening, it moves way too slow to be rewarding. Saying that shuttle is enjoyable while focusing on it very close, is like saying that a lava lamp is extremely stimulating by staring at it.

lol I've had some decent times staring at a lava lamp so maybe you're onto something here.

For real though, not to derail this thread too far (we can continue this discussion in the Shuttle thread), but I think if you know how to listen out for "microsounds", Shuttle suddenly becomes very engaging at the focused-listening level.

microsounds :blink:

i think i understand what you are saying, but again back to the lava lamp, i suppose if you started to really imagine there being small meta compositions within the lava lamp it may become more interesting to yourself, maybe like a mental game or something. i like shuttle 358 but if i really want to sit down and pay extremely close attention to music, it is one of the last things i would ever want to listen too.

Microsound isn't a term I made up by the way. People use it to refer to music like Shuttle358's, Alva Noto's, Tetsu Inoue's, even Iannis Xenakis's. It's a pretty simple idea - what's happening within the second-by-second small scale framework of a song is more important than what's happening in the minute-by-minute large scale framework of the song. If you turn up the volume, use good headphones, and combine the right strains of weed you will hear an absolute wealth of detail in any 2 second snippet of a Shuttle358 song. At that point the music becomes almost the opposite of "background music" - more like a sonic overload. That's also why the slow tempos you said make this music unfit for close attention actually serve it perfectly. It can take a lot of listens for the music to click in this way, and for some it never does. But that is how this music can reward extremely close attention.

Also, jokes aside the lava lamp analogy is really not accurate. Maybe if the lava lamp could constantly change color and the little blobs moved about in fantastic patterns, and every couple minutes it all changed into something completely different.

#60 sep

sep
  • umbiciles
  • 2851 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 06:45 AM

It's really like looking at a leaf with a microscope. If you try really turning up the volume on "West Nile", you can hear how there are other little "sound-bugs" of various timbres, shapes and patterns lurking underneath the thick warm layer. so cool, imo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users