Slate Cloud Plum Berry Lime Orange

Photo

Where do you go for new music?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Voted #31 Poster

Voted #31 Poster

Posted 03 February 2015 - 01:28 PM

So how does everybody discover new music?  I think I mostly relied on this place and it's coma version for a long time and now its fairly dead around here so I find myself too lame to find anything new.  So what do you guys do? blogs? review sites? just through friends? digital recommends? something else?

#2 sep

sep
  • umbiciles
  • 2851 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 01:36 PM

hmm, a mix of things. I don't actively seek out new music as much I should, but when I do discover new things it kinda just happens.

I stumble upon something cool / get a recommendation, and then it might grow on me. And then if I look that album or artist up I might find something else by coincidence. Spotify is incredibly useful too. Just checking out playlists from friends with similar tastes, and making playlists with different artists makes you look for new artists. Also just searching for shit on there and browsing the (huuuge) collection, related/similar artists, etc. Also through friends. Also just lurking around on the internet, reading about artists and clicking things.

edit: Soundcloud is great too, a good start is finding the profile of an artist you like and looking through the tracks they've liked, other artists they follow, etc.

#3 ghost

ghost
  • sweater kid
  • 7421 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 02:51 PM

what.cd forums may be the last haven for music nerds
I also still use last.fm and their automated recommendations have helped me find some of my favorite artists
also browsing last.fm users, I have found some blogs that are spot on with my style

#4 Vairiant

Vairiant

I like my pockets fat not flat

• umbiciles
  • 9543 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 02:55 PM

since the internet cracked down on file uploading most of the blogs I used to visit died

doesn't really help that blogger isn't even a part of google anymore

nodata.tv is pretty good

newalbumreleases.net is pretty alright just because they probably upload more than any other file sharing site, gotta sift through a lot of garbage but its a pretty good mix of big name artists and weird uploads

usually when an artist I like releases something new and good I just search the album and then bookmark whatever blog it came from

idk what it's about since it's basically facebook but VK walls have lots of general uploads....pretty sure its just the European version of facebook?  only people seem to only use it for uploading

has tons of pr0n too

was a hip hop/Wu VK Wall that used to upload so many dope releases but it seems to have gone completely inactive since about a month ago

it had a ton of contributors so I'm guessing someone got really upset

kinda sad I don't seek out new/unheard stuff as much any more, but a lot of those are contributing factors

and because most of my free time is dedicated listening to artists I've already heard & enjoyed and waiting for their new releases

hear-japan and otonomai are the best places for music from Asia, the latter especially

the amount of wide eyed anime music is like 99% of it but every so often you'll find something incredible there

it's mostly Japanese but about a third of it is music from Korea

lots of gems in those sites

#5 sundance

sundance

and we're in heaven, h-e-a-v-e-n, in disco heaven

• umbiciles
  • 846 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 10:27 PM

i seem to just rely on like one best friend friend, and google music recommendations. it's really intuitive, and it just seems to understand what i'll like to hear.

#6 DeepArcher

DeepArcher
  • RainbowWarrior
  • 6262 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 08:45 AM

sputnikmusic users tend to review things... recommended artists in genres there sometimes come up with random shit.

EDIT: take reviews there with a grain of salt... users are sometimes really stupid

#7 szrs

szrs
  • umtrillionaires
  • 4324 posts
  • Interests:Taking a break at 4:30 everyday to watch jeopardy.

Posted 04 February 2015 - 09:04 AM

pitchfork

#8 Vairiant

Vairiant

• umbiciles
  • 9543 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 11:04 AM

sputnikmusic users tend to review things... recommended artists in genres there sometimes come up with random shit.

EDIT: take reviews there with a grain of salt... users are sometimes really stupid

Does pixiesfanyo still write for sputnik?  Haven't been there in awhile

#9 Matty Boh

Matty Boh
  • umbiciles
  • 2646 posts
  • Interests:chicken tetrazzini

Posted 04 February 2015 - 01:27 PM

I check Pitchfork once every 7-10 days or so to see if anything pops up that I like. I am also lucky to have a cool local station here in Baltimore, 89.7 WTMD, and they do a good job of playing local and indie artists that I write down to check out later. Plus with Spotify, I will find an artist I like and check out their related artists and hopefully find something new.

Another good way to find music is look up your favorite artists tour schedule, and see what bands are opening for them. I have found some cool and interesting music this way. I just saw Deradoorian and Zola Jesus at the Ottobar last week, and discovered this local act I had never heard of, Blacksage. They only played about 30 min, but it was probably the highlight of my night.

http://friendsrecord...m/album/sixtape

#10 stray dreams

stray dreams

the genie head has power in the tower of dreams

• ∞Δ∇Δ∞
  • 5684 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 04:48 PM

Anyone else had a problem with viruses and sites like mediafire? Random .exe files will download by themselves when I'm about to download something

#11 Vairiant

Vairiant

• umbiciles
  • 9543 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 08:51 PM

Haven't had that problem with mediafire but lots of file sharing sites do that instead of the .rar popping up

then again my laptop has been fuckey for like 7 months now

fairly sure I've been hacked by asians

I'll randomly have asian characters (text) just appear in the corners of my screen

also I have to minimize/maximize stuff a lot because my aspect ratio gets overlapped and all crazy

lol.

#12 DeepArcher

DeepArcher
  • RainbowWarrior
  • 6262 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 08:05 AM

i don't read reviews, so pixiesfanyo may still write for sputnik...

pretty sure it's all fan submissions anyways and people vote on the review that will end up being next to the record...

which is why some reviews are icky and stupid

i just look at the aggregate rating.

#13 tizzy

tizzy

black people

• SKRAMZ LIFE
  • 6714 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 01:52 PM

you guys download random shit because most of those sites have their own virus/adware infested "download managers" that are checked by default and you can just uncheck em... or ads that looks like download buttons.. that you shouldn't be seeing cuz of like adblock and stuff... or noscript.. but yea i've never gotten random exes downloading from visiting those sites you bros are fucked

#14 nice

nice

Electric Wizard

• fenomeno
  • 9547 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 02:59 PM

I am quite fond of rateyourmusic.com

fantastic site for reviews and discography information. It's similar to wikipedia in the sense that everything is user submitted and peer reviewed. I can spend hours on that site.

Here's a list of the top rated albums of 2015 thus far.

https://rateyourmusi.../top/album/2015

#15 Drunken

Drunken

Fading Fast

• The One & Only
  • 13327 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 07:15 AM

most new music from ur mom's puss

#16 tizzy

tizzy

black people

• SKRAMZ LIFE
  • 6714 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 12:54 PM

what the hell theres a new mount eerie album?

#17 Just a Sun Bro

Just a Sun Bro

If only I could be so grossly incandescent

• otter madness
  • 6119 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 06:44 PM

Yeah it tite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users