• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Circle Button

Circle Button
  • umbiciles
  • 7285 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:52 PM

dDouble_Dragon_NES_NA.jpg

my first experience with Double Dragon(NES version) was also the first time I realized adults actually play video games.

Now that I'm as old as I am I feel no shame in playing Double Dragon on a Friday night since most of my friends are married and have kids. They'd probably love to be playing video games right now so I guess I can consider myself lucky?

I only wish that I could play the arcade version of Double Dragon one of these days Even though I never could acquire enough quarters to properly beat an arcade game it is truly one of the great video gaming experiences that this generation doesn't realize they are missing out on.

Playing video games with people you don't know online doesn't even come close to the experience of playing games with people in an arcade.

Never actually played the arcade version of Double Dragon in an arcade though (it was a bowling alley)

Apparently people played that shit in gas stations as well

For those of you who don't know anything about Double Dragon or all of the flaws in the movie The Wizard (which was more of a commercial for Super Mario Brothers 3 than it was an actual movie) it would have been impossible for Jimmy to get 50,000 points in that amount of time.

I must say I'm looking forward to(or a bit worried about) seeing how much my skills have declined since I was younger.

I'm sure I'll have more to say about this game since I can't really go into detail since it has been so fucking long since I've played it.

billylee.gif

I don't expect this thread to be very active since I know most of the gamers here are younger than me and/or mesmerized by the 'latest and greatest' stuff so the next time I make another post in this thread it will be an organized post full of tons of shit about various subjects related retro gaming

#2 Cyggy

Cyggy
  • umbiciles
  • 210 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:47 PM

get out of here, grandpa

#3 Chow Yun-Phat

Chow Yun-Phat

Detective Tequila

• umbiciles
  • 2184 posts
  • Interests:tequila slammers, shooting two pistols at the same time, doing flips, john woo.
  • Nemesis:Johnnie Wong

Posted 23 August 2014 - 01:02 AM

I don't expect this thread to be very active since I know most of the gamers here are younger than me and/or mesmerized by the 'latest and greatest' stuff so the next time I make another post in this thread it will be an organized post full of tons of shit about various subjects related retro gaming

Cochese uses 'shots fired'

It's ineffective!

Chow uses 'Steam'

It's super effective!

Foe Cochese fainted!

PC MASTER RACE defeated BURGER FLIPPER! 

#4 //armk

//armk

Fixthe Fernback

• umbiciles
  • 3893 posts
  • Interests:Northern Brooding

Posted 23 August 2014 - 01:47 AM

been trying to find a Sega CD emulator so I can play Dune (1992)

#5 Circle Button

Circle Button
  • umbiciles
  • 7285 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 07:28 AM

been trying to find a Sega CD emulator so I can play Dune (1992)

lat time I tried to emulate Sega CD it didn't really work

the only systems I've been able to emulate on my laptop are  NES, SNES, Genesis & 32x ...I was able to run Neo Geo games but sometimes it is more trouble than it is worth

#6 Circle Button

Circle Button
  • umbiciles
  • 7285 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 07:42 AM

I guess I'd also consider ps1 & n64 to be 'retro'

ps1 emulates pretty good but the n64 doesn't

I honestly don't mind because I think the N64 sucks

no bias here...when I was younger I was biased when it came to Genesis vs SNES....I came to realize that the SNES is pretty awesome...I'd say that console war resulted in TIE

The one thing I feel like I should mention when it comes to playing retro games using hardware is make sure you're using an old tv

Don't play old games on an HDTV!!!!!!   Use a CRT or tube TV

Not only will they look like garbage on an HDTV, there will be input lag that makes the games unbearable

#7 Drunken

Drunken

Fading Fast

• The One & Only
  • 13327 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:06 AM

you sound crazy cochese

#8 DeepArcher

DeepArcher
  • RainbowWarrior
  • 6262 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:13 AM

n4qahm7.jpg

#9 Circle Button

Circle Button
  • umbiciles
  • 7285 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:05 AM

/\

World of Warcraft on his shelf  LOL

computerslob.jpg

NES_02d800_254245.jpg

NES-blow-damage1.jpg

mario-dies-on-nes-cover.jpg

#10 Circle Button

Circle Button
  • umbiciles
  • 7285 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 09:35 PM

1191032487-00.jpg

Smash-TV-5.jpg

finally played the NES version Super Smash TV with the GOOD controls :)

In the past I didn't realize what this was all about:

smashtv_controllers1.png

even though the NES was a great system most arcade ports failed to live up to the original versions

(Sega Dreamcast was probably the first system capable of arcade perfect ports)

it is pretty awesome that the NES port tried to stay as true to the arcade version as possible

11812421702.jpg

during the days of Smash TV  DUAL ANALOG CONTROLLERS did not exist...in order for your movement and gunshots to be completely independent of each other you needed to use 2 NES controllers. In order to play the 2 player mode the proper way you needed one of these:

320px-Wikipedia_nes_fourscore.jpg

I'm sure the hardcore retro gamers look down on emulators but I think Smash TV is one example of why I think they're pretty cool.

For 1 player mode you don't have to hold an NES controller in each of your hands...2 player mode would require you to track down one of those Four Scores

with an emulator and a dual analog controller you can just configure 1 analog to player 1 and the other for player 2 and play the game as you would with a modern game

smash_tv.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users