• 1038 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:25 AM

You're one to talk about having new things to say

#22 alsirat

alsirat
  • umillionaires
  • 5175 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:29 AM

So yesterday the first major DFW biography was released. I was planning on going to buy it today, but I just read this article from Rolling Stone that has made me possibly reconsider:

http://www.rollingst...allace-20120827

Apparently all this info comes from the biography and it does not paint a pretty picture (particularly the last bullet point). I have always thought of DFW as a tragic figure, because although I feel like I've learned so much about life from his books--he seems like a guy who has figured shit out on a much greater level than I ever will--life was obviously still too much to bear for him. I'm not sure that I want to read a biography on the guy that basically shows how fucked up the guy I revere as being a moral advisor really is.

The article is a pretty huge bummer in my opinion, but I'm sure the opinion of the board will be that I'm making too much of it/DFW.

Odds are, though, Rolling Stone is being sensationalist and quotemining the book to get pageviews. Maybe actually reading the book will let me walk away with a better feeling than this article does.

"He once asked his friend Jonathan Franzen if his only purpose on Earth is "to put my penis in as many vaginas as possible.""

:pervert: :pervert:

#23 bro do u even give back to the community

bro do u even give back to the community

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:05 PM

if dfw is that much of a moron that he can't figure out that we're all biologically programmed to be disgusting breeders with insatiable pig lusts then maybe i should never read anything of his

#24 Guest_Sun is Lord_*

Guest_Sun is Lord_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:36 AM

Hey i'm wanting to read something by one of the following authors: Sylvia Plath and Virgina Woolf.

Where do I start? Unfortunately, the library doesn't have much of anything from Plath, just letters and such. I'd like to read some of her fiction.

There is quite a bit of Woolf, but which is her best?

I have 'A Room of One's Own', 'To the Light House', 'Night and Day', and 'The Voyage Out' to choose from.

#25 Flawless Calculations

Flawless Calculations

I'm the stallion mang -- you get it?

• umtrillionaires
  • 9622 posts
  • Interests:The best things in town

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:45 AM

I haven't read the latter two, but A Room of One's Own is just an essay - I'd recommend To the Light House. Really enjoyed that one. I've also read Mrs. Dalloway and it's good, too. She's a great author - really easy to get along with but weird, too.

I've never read Plath, but the people who have told me about Plath have not been my favorite people, so I have bad associations w/her.

#26 Guest_Sun is Lord_*

Guest_Sun is Lord_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:53 AM

Thanks. I love straightforward and weird. I noticed Mrs. Dalloway in the card catalog as, so i'll look into it too.

Plath is great... I love her poetry at least, and quotes from her that i've read. Seems like a really interesting writer.

#27 Guest_Sun is Lord_*

Guest_Sun is Lord_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2012 - 02:40 PM

Went to the library and looked at the Woolf novels. To the Lighthouse wasn't there, just The Voyage, Mrs. Dalloway, Night and Day, and Orlando. I read the first few pages of Orlando and The Voyage.

ended up getting Plath's 'The Bell Jar'. I sat down with it and it pulled me in, read through 40 pages before i left the library.. I enjoyed the prose more than I did Woolf's at first glace, so i went ahead and checked it out.

#28 sonic tooth

sonic tooth

An Average Tree

• umbiciles
  • 2529 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:47 AM

read mrs dalloway. it's a really good intro to woolf, and i still prefer it to everything but 'to the lighthouse,' but i can only take so much from inanimate perspective.

#29 ghost falseswipe haunting book thread

ghost falseswipe haunting book thread
  • umbiciles
  • 1038 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:51 PM

Anyone read Ovid's Metamorphoses? I have to give a presentation about its influence on Medieval and 16th+17th Century writers. I'd really like to read the whole thing cover to cover, as it seems super interesting, but that's pretty much impossible with the length of the book and how busy I am. So I'll be jumping around to what the internet tells me are particularly influential stories. Anyone who has read this have favorite stories that I should be sure to not pass up? Is it worth reading back to front sometime in the future?

#30 bro do u even give back to the community

bro do u even give back to the community

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:09 PM

orpheus&eurydice :daydream:

#31 Doge

Doge

Much amaze

• umbiciles
  • 1112 posts
  • Interests:Wowe
    such umbi
    many posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:09 PM

Just finished The Stranger by Camus,

loved every page

#32 ghost falseswipe haunting book thread

• umbiciles
  • 1038 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:20 PM

orpheus&eurydice :daydream:

Thanks, will report back!

#33 ghost falseswipe haunting book thread

• umbiciles
  • 1038 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:22 PM

Just finished The Stranger by Camus,

loved every page

Me too! I enjoyed this book much more than The Plague, which seems like the more popular choice around these parts. The Stranger is the standard Camus novel for a reason, imo.

#34 tizzy

tizzy

black people

• SKRAMZ LIFE
  • 6714 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 06:36 PM

The Plague is definitely way better than The Stranger
The Fall is too

Posted ImageThe Stranger is the standard Camus for plebs

#35 Doge

Doge

Much amaze

• umbiciles
  • 1112 posts
    such umbi
    many posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:58 PM

Cant really compare The Stranger and The Plague, I enjoyed both, but overall enjoyed the Stranger more.

I think the writing in The Stranger was stronger than in the Plague, but the story of the Plague was probably stronger, and a bit more gripping.

If that makes sense

#36 Bright Shining Lie

Bright Shining Lie
  • Interests:being a faggot

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:59 PM

The Stranger is the worst thing Camus ever wrote

#37 Doge

Doge

Much amaze

• umbiciles
  • 1112 posts
    such umbi
    many posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:59 PM

why is that?

#38 Belacqua Murphy & Watt

Belacqua Murphy & Watt
  • umbiciles
  • 1523 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 06:35 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

#39 rpmlem

rpmlem
  • umbiciles
  • 7258 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:32 PM

new purchases:

Posted Image

and

Posted Image

#40 Doge

Doge

Much amaze

• umbiciles
  • 1112 posts
    such umbi
    many posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 03:47 PM

Krishnamurti is a wonderful writer - have tried to find his books here but to no avail, may have to search online

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users