Filmmakers Thread

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#41 Grain Belt Premium

Grain Belt Premium
  • STEROID POSTING SQUAD
  • 13699 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 11:05 AM

Premiere is awful for color correction, to say the least.

I'm just too lazy to use anything else right now.

#42 Voted #31 Poster

Voted #31 Poster

Posted 04 April 2010 - 06:27 PM

im such an asshole. i have access to canon xh-a1, panasonic HVX and DVX cameras, and lighting equipment and all sorts of filming equipment, but i haven't shot anything because I don't have an ideas.

i know how you feel, my school has an hpx170 with an adapter to mount 35mm prime lenses, and i haven't done anything at all, ive been there for 3 years. ive decided im gonna buckle down and bang out a script or two over the summer and get into production as soon as school starts next year.

#43 stalfos

stalfos
  • XIII
  • 6820 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 05:31 AM

bump. don't really have anything to add right now but this thread should get used more.

Premiere is awful for color correction, to say the least.

I'm just too lazy to use anything else right now.

yeah it really is. i only have premiere at home. work on Avids all day and then go home to do "da real shit" and uhgggggggg. Wish I could afford a proper avid rig.

#44 stalfos

stalfos
  • XIII
  • 6820 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 08:49 AM

magic bullet is awesome, colorista especially but there's really nothing worse than when you can tell someone has badly chucked their film through the "film" preset. i'm especially aware of it using a 7d because everyone is nowadays and everything is starting to look the same.

#45 stalfos

stalfos
  • XIII
  • 6820 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 10:30 AM

5d II :drool:

#46 Grain Belt Premium

Grain Belt Premium
  • STEROID POSTING SQUAD
  • 13699 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 11:10 PM

Completely blown away by DSLR video

unfortunately I had to learn it/use it on such a miserable shoot

#47 Grain Belt Premium

Grain Belt Premium
  • STEROID POSTING SQUAD
  • 13699 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 03:30 PM

DSLRs are pretty limited when it comes to the type of camera moves you can make without any type of peripherals though

I was using a Lumix but I've also kind of used a t2i. Both are really nice tripod cameras. Hate changing the exposure through menus though.

#48 Grain Belt Premium

Grain Belt Premium
  • STEROID POSTING SQUAD
  • 13699 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 10:07 PM

Posted Image

#49 stalfos

stalfos
  • XIII
  • 6820 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 01:49 AM

DSLRs are pretty limited when it comes to the type of camera moves you can make without any type of peripherals though

definitely. still looking for a decent, affordable steadicam thing for it. the cheap ones are so shit.

#50 Voted #31 Poster

Voted #31 Poster

Posted 18 October 2011 - 09:37 PM

mark, i never expected you to be a filmmaker, thought you were just a aspiring critic.

anyway am i the only who just doesnt get avid?

#51 stalfos

stalfos
  • XIII
  • 6820 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 01:33 AM

well i have a degree in film production but since i left uni and started working in tv i haven't really had time to do anything proper, certainly nothing serious. all my old stuff was shot on DV so i can't even stand to look at it. since i bought my 7d i've been working on some stuff, trying to get a music video finished first but it's a logistical nightmare organising a large crew of people who are doing it for free. have only shot like a quarter of it. started working on a script that i think has a good premise so i might try and flesh it out next year.

i like avid, it is clunky but i trained on it so i'm used to it. i use it at work. premiere at home. h8 FCP.

also i'm no critic.

#52 Voted #31 Poster

Voted #31 Poster

Posted 19 October 2011 - 09:01 AM

what's the premise? short or feature?

I'm working on making my first short. college students are the worst at being reliable. shooting on 7d.

also my advanced film class has a really disappointing script, but we get to shoot on the RED EPIC :drool: so many K's

#53 stalfos

stalfos
  • XIII
  • 6820 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 11:06 AM

idk i'll maybe post about it when it's a bit more fleshed out. just an idea for now, wrote down a ton of notes for it the other night and think it could be cool.

we shoot on red at work occasionally. shit is so boss. wish i could afford to go red. 7d is fine for making little shorts and stuff but it's pretty limited. problem is that everybody has 7d now and everything is starting to look the same. i tend to shoot super flat and underexposed. i can't stand those oversaturated images that most people make with them. if you want my $0.02, shoot super flat and underexpose by a stop or two, as long as you have the time to play with it in post. can make some much nicer, more film-like images that way.

#54 Voted #31 Poster

Voted #31 Poster

Posted 19 October 2011 - 06:11 PM

oh yeah, i know that. im thinking about using one of those 3rd party picture styles like marvels somethingerother or technicolor, they give more room to play than superflat. also i hate that super shallow dof everyone does with DSLRS. the sensitivity of these cameras are nuts, just stop down fer crissakes

#55 Grain Belt Premium

Grain Belt Premium
  • STEROID POSTING SQUAD
  • 13699 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:23 PM

New toy

Posted Image

#56 famine party

famine party

fang of magia negra

• umbiciles
  • 2342 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:16 AM

early last year I made an impulse buy on a thirty dollar pocket video camera and started carrying it with me every where I went. my roommate had a pirated copy of sony vegas on his laptop and I got really into recording strange things I saw, or interviewing people on the street and editing them into weird little videos. I would upload them to youtube and people got a kick out of them. it was really fun.

after my roommate passed I gave his laptop to his family and was no longer able to do the fun kinds of editing I had grown to enjoy. earlier this year I invested in a more sophisticated hd pocket camera, but all I have is an ipad and I can't do much as far as editing on it. I recently got a job, so I finally have money rolling in and will soon be investing in a laptop, probably a mac.

does anyone have any suggestions for good editing software that would give me a fair amount of options without being too ridiculously expensive? sony vegas is really the only software I've used to edit videos so I don't know much. again, it wouldn't be for anything spectacular, just fun little random samples of life so it doesn't have to be crazy. I just enjoyed being able to layer videos and apply effects only to certain things like people's faces and fun things like that.

#57 Grain Belt Premium

Grain Belt Premium
  • STEROID POSTING SQUAD
  • 13699 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 04:30 PM

If you're getting a Mac imovie is your basic shit or if its discontinued, Final Cut X is basically the same thing and really cheap

#58 //armk

//armk

Fixthe Fernback

• umbiciles
  • 3893 posts
  • Interests:Northern Brooding

Posted 26 October 2012 - 02:48 AM

FCPX is some bullshit.

#59 (X) (X)

(X) (X)
  • umbiciles
  • 4076 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:41 PM

i used final cut back in the day

has it somehow become worse???

#60 //armk

//armk

Fixthe Fernback

• umbiciles
  • 3893 posts
  • Interests:Northern Brooding

Posted 27 October 2012 - 06:17 AM

yeah it's gash, it's like itunes now, it's all based on metadata and tagging. it's suicide (i hope)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users