chri art

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 ___

___
  • umbiciles
  • 758 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 02:06 AM

hey everyone. I was posting here in the past during the merge and some shit happened and i left and now you guys are unmerged. So yeah just a short explanation of why i have something of a post count and why none of you probably remember me at all. But anyways the name is Chris. I'm currently attending Art Center College of Design in pasadena california studying Illustration. I really like your guy's taste from what i remember. I consider anything that visually entices me in some way, inspiration. Anyway
check out some of my work.
Feel free to tell me whatever you think.
i'm kind of too lazy to post some examples so check out my blog.
I'm trying to update it frequently whenever i can.

http://chrisky.tumblr.com/

#2 Houdini

Houdini
  • umbiciles
  • 2721 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 04:52 AM

Nice line work in the studies and especially like the top post.

Elegant.

#3 Belacqua Murphy & Watt

Belacqua Murphy & Watt
  • umbiciles
  • 1523 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 05:22 PM

yeah a lot of these are really nice!

#4 Cicatrizatron

Cicatrizatron

Custom Concern

• umbiciles
  • 7099 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 05:36 PM

really cool stuff, man!
i dont remember how i ended up there but ive been on your tumblr page before, its possible that you liked one of my posts or something and i checked it outttt

#5 ___

___
  • umbiciles
  • 758 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 07:44 PM

thanks guys! :)

really cool stuff, man!
i dont remember how i ended up there but ive been on your tumblr page before, its possible that you liked one of my posts or something and i checked it outttt

i think that is awesome haha. I just started using tumblr and i have been on a liking frenzy

#6 alphabets

alphabets

b batteries

• umbiciles
  • 2097 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 09:43 AM

cool stuf

#7 ___

___
  • umbiciles
  • 758 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 03:10 AM

^thanks
Posted Image
i guess i should maintain this thread with recent updates. Here is just a drawing experiment

#8 q.t

q.t
  • Quality posts since '09
  • 4235 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 06:58 AM

Posted Image :daydream: :daydream:

#9 ___

___
  • umbiciles
  • 758 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 12:16 AM

^ thankyou :)

some new stuff.. just messing around though

Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 sep

sep
  • umbiciles
  • 2851 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 07:59 AM

I like that you're messing around and trying out different stuff, but since we're actually supposed to critique your work I'm gonna recommend you to observe things more, and draw lots of faces/people/things in real life a lot more. I can see that you're drawing forms based on things you remember, and that's cool, but some of the features don't really come off as intentional abstractions, because you're not comfortable enough in abstraction and it's obvious in your work, I think.

How do you process your stuff? Some of the filtery/digital stuff doesn't really look good in my opinion (too digitally - you should be more subtle with it) - but the more traditional stuff looks much better. That oil painting looks pretty nice.

#11 ___

___
  • umbiciles
  • 758 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 01:41 PM

I like that you're messing around and trying out different stuff, but since we're actually supposed to critique your work I'm gonna recommend you to observe things more, and draw lots of faces/people/things in real life a lot more. I can see that you're drawing forms based on things you remember, and that's cool, but some of the features don't really come off as intentional abstractions, because you're not comfortable enough in abstraction and it's obvious in your work, I think.

How do you process your stuff? Some of the filtery/digital stuff doesn't really look good in my opinion (too digitally - you should be more subtle with it) - but the more traditional stuff looks much better. That oil painting looks pretty nice.

Thanks for this i really appreciate it. You're totally right when you say i should draw more from life because i honestly don't do it that often. It is the best reference you can get because all the information is right there in front of you and not lost within pixels and paper. I don't really know why i haven't done it that much, but i'm glad you've made light of it for me. Some of these drawings however are meant to be more expressive and based off things that come from my head. In which i am basically trying to find a personal voice, but it is definitely still very under development. And i also totally agree with you about the digital stuff. This is something i'm starting learn more often as i experiment with taking traditional analogue work into digital. And i'm not sure exactly how to answer you on my process because i try to do a bunch of different things each time. Sometimes i use certain filters because i like how it breaks of the shapes and values, but i'm starting to leave that behind because you're totally right when something looks too digital and it kind of loses its strength in some way. I'm starting to blend things together digitally and try to make it look more natural and subtle now. I'll be posting more of this type of work so it'd be awesome if you came to check it out once in a while. Getting critiqued is really a valuable thing imo. After my schooling ends i wont be getting as much feedback as i'm used to.

And thank you about the oil painting, it's almost done and i think i might do a series on them. The more i use oil paints the more i start to love them. I am still pretty new to the medium.

and btw i just checked out your flickr and i'm in love with your work. Now i feel honored. :)

#12 sep

sep
  • umbiciles
  • 2851 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 01:56 PM

Thanks for this i really appreciate it. You're totally right when you say i should draw more from life because i honestly don't do it that often. It is the best reference you can get because all the information is right there in front of you and not lost within pixels and paper. I don't really know why i haven't done it that much, but i'm glad you've made light of it for me. Some of these drawings however are meant to be more expressive and based off things that come from my head. In which i am basically trying to find a personal voice, but it is definitely still very under development. And i also totally agree with you about the digital stuff. This is something i'm starting learn more often as i experiment with taking traditional analogue work into digital. And i'm not sure exactly how to answer you on my process because i try to do a bunch of different things each time. Sometimes i use certain filters because i like how it breaks of the shapes and values, but i'm starting to leave that behind because you're totally right when something looks too digital and it kind of loses its strength in some way. I'm starting to blend things together digitally and try to make it look more natural and subtle now. I'll be posting more of this type of work so it'd be awesome if you came to check it out once in a while. Getting critiqued is really a valuable thing imo. After my schooling ends i wont be getting as much feedback as i'm used to.

And thank you about the oil painting, it's almost done and i think i might do a series on them. The more i use oil paints the more i start to love them. I am still pretty new to the medium.

and btw i just checked out your flickr and i'm in love with your work. Now i feel honored. :)

That's great I've found that it's the ultimate practice, really, and every experienced artist talks about it. It really pays off in your future work too, as you get more confident in your forms/shapes/marks and establish a stronger understanding of what the world really looks like. And totally, expressing ideas from your head is cool and important but at the same time it's a great idea to sometimes be really technical rather than creative - just like practicing an instrument.

And sure I'll check back, I'm a noob myself so it's cool to learn things and get better. Thanks man I really appreciate it :good:

#13 Subtracting

Subtracting
  • umbiciles
  • 1571 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 05:07 AM

Posted Image

I like this one.

Keep it up. And like sepoe said, try to draw lots of different things. Something I need to work on actually :).

#14 ___

___
  • umbiciles
  • 758 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 02:26 AM

i haven't bumped this thing in a while :/. lately i've been pretty low key with my art and have been drawing non-representational portraits on my iphone using the Sketchbook Mobile app. It's fun, but nothing serious.

check em out.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#15 ___

___
  • umbiciles
  • 758 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 05:22 PM

Posted Image
http://chrisky.tumbl...-a-few-sketches

check out my latest tumblr post

#16 ___

___
  • umbiciles
  • 758 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 01:12 AM

Posted Image

#17 ___

___
  • umbiciles
  • 758 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 03:25 PM

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

#18 ___

___
  • umbiciles
  • 758 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 10:44 PM

check out my first threadless design submission!

http://www.threadles...69426/tripballs

#19 ___

___
  • umbiciles
  • 758 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 02:06 AM

Posted Image

a work in progress

#20 ryan

ryan

help

• umbiciles