• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Bambii

Bambii

fyugie

• umbiciles
  • 1387 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 08:06 PM

My Bose Around-Ear headphones have finally taken their last breath after 2 years - I purchased them willingly knowing that they would not last that long. Got them for $90, had always heard that that particular model had a very weak make. The sound quality was solid though.

I'm now searching for a higher-quality replacement, something that sounds really good, is efficient with noise canceling, and is around-ear and COMFORTABLE for long periods of time. My budget is $300, tops. The #1 candidate right now is the Bose QuietComfort 15... I've heard good things about different Koss makes as well, but I'm not so sure about them. Maybe I just know more about Bose, so I can't really compare. I want to get these soon, I don't like using earbuds. Recommendations? Comments?

UPDATE: It's down primarily to being between the Sennheiser HD-595 and the Audio Technica ATH-ANC7B. AKA open vs closed...

#2 exo

exo

Rich Kids don't go rogue

• umbiciles
  • 6761 posts
  • Interests:Women and money.

Posted 07 February 2011 - 01:08 AM

Most people will tell you that anything with a lot of bass is good, but I hate too much bass.

Audiophiles will tell you Bose sucks, I guess. I have no idea.

#3 stalfos

stalfos
  • XIII
  • 6820 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 01:12 AM

I can never spend money on headphones. I break them too easily. I sleep in them half the time too. Usually just buy a pair for around £30 and EQ them in my mp3 player. Can't stand a lot of bass either but it's easy to take out.

#4 Bambii

Bambii

fyugie

• umbiciles
  • 1387 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 03:30 AM

I'm also looking into the Sennheiser HD-595... I know Sennheiser is a renown high-end headphone company, but I don't know much about their cheaper models. I still get the feeling they're more worth it for the price than Bose.

#5 autodidact

autodidact

SLOTHTRONAUT

• umbiciles
  • 13945 posts
  • Nemesis:light, happiness

Posted 07 February 2011 - 08:58 AM

I'm also looking into the Sennheiser HD-595... I know Sennheiser is a renown high-end headphone company, but I don't know much about their cheaper models. I still get the feeling they're more worth it for the price than Bose.

haven't heard the 595s but i'm a big sennheiser fan. they probably have a model in the top 5 of any particular budget/function.

and mark, if you like smaller open headphones, get some koss portapros. great sound, under $50, lifetime warranty.

#6 stalfos

stalfos
  • XIII
  • 6820 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 09:07 AM

naw can't stand open ear. do they have a closed ear equivalent?

#7 Bambii

Bambii

fyugie

• umbiciles
  • 1387 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 11:10 AM

haven't heard the 595s but i'm a big sennheiser fan. they probably have a model in the top 5 of any particular budget/function.

and mark, if you like smaller open headphones, get some koss portapros. great sound, under $50, lifetime warranty.

Mmmm, my concern with them is that they're open... and I typically prefer closed headphones. And I don't know much about the noise cancelling of it, or its comfortability. These are all, I feel, aspects that Bose has down pretty solid - they noise cancel beautifully, are incredibly comfortable, and are closed. But I'm assuming that the Sennheiser's actual sound quality is better (plus, it's half the price...) So here are the pros and cons:

Bose QC15
Pros:
-very comfortable
-closed
-great noise cancelling

Cons:
-more expensive ($280)
-possibly not as great sound quality

Sennheiser HD-595
Pros:
-great sound quality
-less expensive ($140)

Cons:
-open, high sound leakage
-possibly not as comfortable
-possibly not as great noise cancelling

Opinions? And if anyone has any additional suggestions, please let me know.

I'm also looking into getting a headphone amplifier... I don't know much about them, but I've heard that it can really enhance the sound, particularly with these higher-quality headphones. Any recommendations there?

#8 amy

amy

thirsty

• umbiciles
  • 2922 posts
  • Nemesis:maluut

Posted 07 February 2011 - 11:12 AM

wireless headphones are great when your shoveling in a blizzard

#9 autodidact

autodidact

SLOTHTRONAUT

• umbiciles
  • 13945 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 02:17 PM

naw can't stand open ear. do they have a closed ear equivalent?

not to my knowledge and most of their other stuff is garbage :pardon:

bambii, just out of curiosity, what do you need noise canceling for?

#10 Doge

Doge

Much amaze

• umbiciles
  • 1112 posts
  • Interests:Wowe
    such umbi
    many posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 02:28 PM

Or try the Beyerdynamic dt-770 pros
Posted Image

Ive had mine for almost 2 years now, no problems with them at all, impeccable sound, great comfort (for very long periods), coilied cord which i think is much much better, the pads are nice and soft, blah blah blah buy these

#11 sep

sep
  • umbiciles
  • 2851 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 03:23 PM

I got a new pair of headphones recently,

Posted Image

they're not noise-canceling/closed, but they're excellent, despite their relatively cheap appearance (I like how they look though). The bass is just right, and they reveal a whole lot of detail. They're great for ambient, jazz, hip hop, rock and just about anything. They tire my ears after about an hour, but it's all good after a short break (it's good to take breaks anyway during long listening sessions). Grado makes surprisingly good headphones. There's also the sr225s which are an upgraded version of these.

My brother has those Beyerdynamics and while they're a great, high-end piece of gear, they're definitely not that comfortable to wear. They're really heavy, to me at least. I think comfort is very subjective. Actually I think most headphones are uncomfortable in the long run. So if possible, see if you can try some headphones out before you buy. But in any case I would prioritize the sound quality over whether they're closed or not and things like that.

#12 nice

nice

Electric Wizard

• fenomeno
  • 9547 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 03:23 PM

I really want to get some new headphones this year.

I've had these Sennheiser PX-100s for about 5 years and they still work great. I got them for about $35 at the time, probably one of the best purchases I've made.
Posted Image
Highly recommended if you want some nice cheap headphones. They seem kind of flimsy and I've done a lot to them but the build quality is great, still as solid as ever. The only problem is that they leak a lot of sound but thats not really a problem for me because I usually wear them at home.

I'm definitely going to consider getting some nice Sennheisers because these have held up so well.

#13 sep

sep
  • umbiciles
  • 2851 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 03:35 PM

I had a newer version of those Sennheisers NiceYo posted which were pretty much the same, and I would still have had them if my sister didn't ruin them. They're great if you want to spend less money and get something that sounds good and is a little noise-canceling. The earpads aren't that large though so if you're looking for that immersive feeling you should probably go for those bigger sennheisers, idk

#14 stalfos

stalfos
  • XIII
  • 6820 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 04:29 PM

I really want to get some new headphones this year.

I've had these Sennheiser PX-100s for about 5 years and they still work great. I got them for about $35 at the time, probably one of the best purchases I've made.
Posted Image
Highly recommended if you want some nice cheap headphones. They seem kind of flimsy and I've done a lot to them but the build quality is great, still as solid as ever. The only problem is that they leak a lot of sound but thats not really a problem for me because I usually wear them at home.

I'm definitely going to consider getting some nice Sennheisers because these have held up so well.

i bought these once. really nice clear sound but far too dainty for me. they'd never survive what i put them through so i sold them on.

#15 Bambii

Bambii

fyugie

• umbiciles
  • 1387 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 09:29 PM

I mean, really, the dilemma is that I like to feel isolated and completely immersed in the music when I'm listening... if it doesn't cover my ear entirely and block off a decent amount of outside noise, it doesn't feel right. That's really why I prefer closed, but I know the sound quality of open air headphones is sooo much better, so it's a really tough choice. Also, I'm scratching the Bose QC15 idea for a much cheaper alternative that is pretty much exactly the same thing for half the price: the Audio Technica ATH-ANC7B. I'm definitely gonna go try as many of these out as I actually can before buying anything, though... My dilemma is just open vs closed. I've been running closed headphones for as long as I can recall, but I also feel like I'm missing out on some great sound quality from open headphones.

#16 sep

sep
  • umbiciles
  • 2851 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:15 PM

Then I'd go for open. You can still achieve that isolated feeling, it just depends on your surroundings/environment. I mean, you won't be able to do that on the train or in the middle of the city or whatever, but you can still immerse yourself in the music somewhere quiet, not to mention your room. My Grados are open and I can still have those listening experiences as often as I want.

#17 Bambii

Bambii

fyugie

• umbiciles
  • 1387 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:28 PM

Yeah, I think you're pretty much right. I'm probably gonna go for the Sennheiser HD-595... I need to find someplace to try them out first. I'm also thinking of getting one of these: http://www.amazon.co...ref=oss_product

Been wanting a headphone amp for a while, but have no intentions of spending a significant amount of money on one. Plus, this one seems mega portable. Idk.

#18 autodidact

autodidact

SLOTHTRONAUT

• umbiciles
  • 13945 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 05:58 AM

i have to say that my closed senns (hd280s) are practically as good as noise canceling. can't even play guitar with them on because i can barely hear the outside world.

i bought these once. really nice clear sound but far too dainty for me. they'd never survive what i put them through so i sold them on.

now i'm imagining mark running around chasing villains and jumping off of buildings and all kinds of james bond shit, listening to black metal on his ipod. needless to say it's a turn on

and i too would like to try an affordable headphone amp, but i'm a little skeptical that a sub-$25 amp from a no-name brand is going to have much improvement. hopefully someone around knows amps.

#19 stalfos

stalfos
  • XIII
  • 6820 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 06:04 AM

ipod? please. :scoff:

#20 autodidact

autodidact

SLOTHTRONAUT

• umbiciles
  • 13945 posts