80 replies to this topic

#41 exo

exo

Rich Kids don't go rogue

• umbiciles
  • 6761 posts
  • Interests:Women and money.

Posted 23 April 2010 - 01:54 PM

The drive works fine by itself, it's just the 003 won't really communicate with the mac.

#42 Guest_VoltFaceCons_*

Guest_VoltFaceCons_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2010 - 06:42 AM

boner

#43 exo

exo

Rich Kids don't go rogue

• umbiciles
  • 6761 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 12:25 PM

Called the dealer today, I'm sending the drive back, in exchange for a Glyph, maybe.

#44 Ender

Ender

Your Dad

• umbiciles
  • 3242 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 06:11 PM

good luck. hope it works out.

#45 Ender

Ender

Your Dad

• umbiciles
  • 3242 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 06:12 PM

altiverb and some real nice compressors recently cracked for mac. im excited to test them out. probably wont get a chance for a while though.

#46 exo

exo

Rich Kids don't go rogue

• umbiciles
  • 6761 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 10:01 PM

What are they called?

The only compressors I've ever used are the Waves SSL and API ones.

#47 Ender

Ender

Your Dad

• umbiciles
  • 3242 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 07:43 AM

elysia mpressor. is what it was called i think.

basically digitally recreated every single part of the compressors circuit.
eats your computer, but it sound perfect.

#48 Ender

Ender

Your Dad

• umbiciles
  • 3242 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 07:45 AM

softube's compressors and EQs are worth checking out.
they are better than the SSL stuff imo.

#49 Abelian

Abelian

Trillionaire

• umbiciles
  • 7252 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 12:04 PM

Anybody have recommendations for freeware reverb, EQ, ring modulators and miscellaneous effects good for digital/abstract music?

I've seen a few cool ones like all the DFX stuff, dblue glitch, the ambience reverb by magnus smartelectronix, and a couple others. Surely there are a lot more out there.

#50 Ender

Ender

Your Dad

• umbiciles
  • 3242 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 12:14 PM

those are pretty much it as far as freeware goes.

unless you want to buy/torrent some stuff thats pretty much it.

BUT

you can get a lot of life out of those plugins by creating sends and then running those effects in parallel with your source signal and then stacking effects on the channel you are sending the source signal too. Even then creating another send on the effected track and further manipulating that signal.

i know that seems complicated, if you want me to try and describe the process further in greater detail i would be glad to do it in this thread, or through aim.

#51 Abelian

Abelian

Trillionaire

• umbiciles
  • 7252 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 12:24 PM

I think I roughly get what you mean, stacking effects upon effects, and I've tried playing around with that to a small extent, though not exactly the way you've described. I find it hard to believe there isn't more stuff out there though...

#52 Ender

Ender

Your Dad

• umbiciles
  • 3242 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 12:59 PM

I think I roughly get what you mean, stacking effects upon effects, and I've tried playing around with that to a small extent, though not exactly the way you've described. I find it hard to believe there isn't more stuff out there though...

stacking effects gets messy, im more or less talking about blending effects, and having the ability to pan them as you please. there is a difference between globbing paint together and mixing it together.

you might also check out the plugin called cohmpost
i think its free and i think it might do some of the stuff you are talking about.

also izotope vinyl is free and it makes your signal sound like its coming out of a record player. might be kind of cool for what you want.

#53 exo

exo

Rich Kids don't go rogue

• umbiciles
  • 6761 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 10:28 PM

Sends and AUX channels can be great if you know how to use them. They definitely don't fit every purpose, but you can really save a lot of CPU resources and have a generally cleaner session if you take the time to set all that up. I think it's overly complicated in Pro Tools, compared to Reaper or Cubase, but the basics are the same, and it works.

There is a lot if you're using Windows VST plugins.

www.kvraudio.com

#54 Ender

Ender

Your Dad

• umbiciles
  • 3242 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 11:21 PM

after using both for a while, i find pro tools to be much easier for that kind of stuff.

how are you liking your setup btw?

#55 exo

exo

Rich Kids don't go rogue

• umbiciles
  • 6761 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 12:29 AM

A lot, actually. The keyboard that comes with the iMac doesn't let me use the tool shortcuts, even if I disable all Mac shortcuts from the system preferences.

I also think the 003 sounds pretty bad, but what can you do. Black Lion mod is tempting, but I'd have to find a way to bypass the 25% tax on incoming products. I'm using my Focusrite preamps and AD/DA for now so it's all good.

Running it at 64 samples for everything, with lots of tracks and plugins and it's smooth. The lack of delay compensation is completely retarded, though. I'm still annoyed by that. The Mellowmuse helps a lot, but it still sucks to have to put them on all tracks, etc.

But yea, Pro Tools is great, and definitely up there with Cubase when it comes to editing, mixing and recording. MIDI is another issue, but I'm using it less and less, so it shouldn't matter.

#56 Ender

Ender

Your Dad

• umbiciles
  • 3242 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 07:32 AM

ive never had a problem with delay when tracking at low latencies. only when using outboard gear has it been an issue for me.

also im pretty sure i had to go back and reassign everything on the keyboard to compatible with pro tools. not just disabling the mac shortcuts.

for me personally i have an easier time doing midi in pro tools 8 than anything else.
pro tools 7, now thats a completely different story.

is the 25% tax a norway thing?

#57 exo

exo

Rich Kids don't go rogue

• umbiciles
  • 6761 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 07:44 AM

No, I'm not talking about latency in terms of tracking, just the latency that comes with plugins.

I can access the keyboard shortcuts menu, but all I can do there is to disable mac shortcuts, which I have done. What else?

Yeah, 25% tax is applied to everything you buy in Norway, which goes to the state. Same thing for goods bought abroad.

The way most people do it is to get the online retailer to ship to a friend, and have them ship it back as a regular package from a private person.

#58 Ender

Ender

Your Dad

• umbiciles
  • 3242 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 11:39 PM

right on. ive never really had a problem with latency from plugins, but perhaps its juts ignorance.
where can i find these mellowmuse plugins, id like to try them out and see how it helps.

like i said the only problems ive had with plugin latency is with hardware units.

also id like to point out that its most likely not the pres in the 003 you find to be bad, its most likely the converter.

your other pres probably have more headroom, which make them initially sound better, but in the end it all ends up getting mixed and mastered anyways, and the extra headroom ends up being negligible. digidesign has been pretty forthcoming that their pres sound they way they do for a reason, clean clear and transparent, which i agree they are, but when compared to other pres that may add more color (which isnt a bad thing) or may add more headroom they may sound kind of dull.

ive been involved with a bunch of blind tests between different digi interfaces and converters, including a BLA 002r. and the pres are in my opinion good in the 003+, but the problem really resides in the converters.

#59 exo

exo

Rich Kids don't go rogue

• umbiciles
  • 6761 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 12:29 AM

Yeah, the biggest draw for the BLA mod is the improved converters. It's not like a huge deal. It still sounds good, and you can sort of get around it by being careful with EQ.

The Mellowmuse ATA is $49, and really invaluable. If you command/alt/ctrl (can't remember) the volume display in the mixer view, it will show you the amount of delay in samples. What the ATA plugin basically does is delay all tracks by the maximum in your track count, so that they all line up perfectly. The problem with this is that it only delays things after the fact, and this means that you can't track with the plugin on unless you shift the recorded track by the amount that the ATA has delayed the other tracks. If PT had true ADC it would have done all this automatically. PT actually has some ADC, but it only works for a few samples on certain plugins, that's why some plugins report 0 samples of latency, which is in reality an impossibility.

http://www.mellowmuse.com/ATA.html

What you do is you set one instance of ATA on each track as the first plugin, then one on your master output. Open the master one, and set it to 'Master'. The other tracks should default to 'Audio' which is what you want for basic tracks. When you start adding Aux tracks you need to assign them to group Aux1 in the ATA. If you send your aux tracks to other aux tracks, you're basically adding a new layer of latency, so you'd have to add these new aux tracks to Aux2 in the ATA. In other words, if all your aux tracks or sends are routed to the master output, you only need to have them assigned to Aux1 in the ATA. Confusing, but that's how it works.

#60 Abelian

Abelian

Trillionaire

• umbiciles
  • 7252 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 12:56 AM

you can get a lot of life out of those plugins by creating sends and then running those effects in parallel with your source signal and then stacking effects on the channel you are sending the source signal too. Even then creating another send on the effected track and further manipulating that signal.

i know that seems complicated, if you want me to try and describe the process further in greater detail i would be glad to do it in this thread, or through aim.

Could you?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users