• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#1 Abelian

Abelian

Trillionaire

• umbiciles
  • 7252 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 09:50 PM

I was never sure whether to talk about Celer in the ambient appreesh thread or the drone thread, so here's a thread of their very own. Because they are worth it.

I feel indebted to shorty for introducing me to this group. Perhaps I would have eventually found out about them some other way, but regardless, they are my favorite ambient music discovery, and one of my favorite discoveries period, of the past year.

Celer is dead. Celer LIVES!

Celer was the artistic partnership of Dani Baquet-Long and Will Long, which yielded somewhere around 50 full length albums in the minimalist/drone/ambient genres, about half of which have not been released yet, and all of which (that I've heard) are exquisitely crafted and deeply emotionally resonating. Tragically last July saw the inexplicable passing away of Dani from heart failure at the age of 26, a couple weeks or months after shorty began talking about them here. No new Celer albums have been made since, or will be made.

The more albums I listen to by Celer the more I find that it's absolutely impossible to summarize what they had to say with only one of them. Anybody that has heard and enjoyed a single Celer album should make it a top priority to hear more, because they're very diverse while being incredibly consistent in quality.

I wish I had a physical copy of everything Celer ever made. Unfortunately I'll have to be satisfied with collecting most of their music digitally, since many of their albums are only available in limited handmade self-released packaging, or else digital rips. Here's a running list of all Celer albums I've acquired, for anyone interested in trading:

All At Once is What Eternity Is
Ariill
Belsslsssll
Breeze of Roses
Brittle
Cantus Libres
Capri
Close Proximity and the Unhindered Care-All
Compositions for Cassette
Continents
Cursory Asperses
Descender
Dilué
Discourses of the Withered
Dwell In Possibility
Elias
Engaged Touches
Fountain Glider
Four Pieces part One
Four Pieces part Two
Four Pieces part Three
I Love You So Much I Can't Even Title This (The Light That Never Goes Out Went Out)
In Escaping Lakes
Mandala
Mane Blooms
Mesoscaphe
Nacreous Clouds
Neon
Pockets of Wheat
Poulaine
Rags of Contentment
Red Seals
Sunlir/Scols
Symphony 19
Tropical

love, love, love :wub:

oh yeah there's lots of Celer to download on shorty's blog.

#2 static

static

chiastic slide

• lentic catachresis
  • 17006 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 09:53 PM

i haven't given Celer enough of my time and attention.... only listened to a couple albums but i'll get back around to them soon

#3 sep

sep
  • umbiciles
  • 2851 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 12:41 AM

beautiful music

#4 Siddhis

Siddhis

ALL ROBOTS

• umbiciles
  • 1181 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 10:22 AM

i hate it when artists have so many releases like this. because i never re-listen to any of their stuff, i just download more.

what i've listened to of Celer i'v enjoyed. but i cant really form an opinion more elaborate than that, since i've only given their music a cursory listen at best

#5 Abelian

Abelian

Trillionaire

• umbiciles
  • 7252 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 10:33 AM

I love it because as long as you pace yourself properly, it's like having a nearly endless stream of new material to enjoy. It's tempting to go out and grab as many albums as you can find, if you like their general aesthetic, and I've been doing this to some extent lately; but I'm also wary that listening to a Celer album for the first time should be as special as listening to, for example, a new Flying Lotus album (insert you favorite band here) for the first time - the comparison only used to show how special the experience could potentially be, not to suggest any similarity in their music. Of course, this will only be true if you really love Celer, like me. But so I've been trying to slow down a bit and really drink in the albums I've collected so far, and make occasions out of trying out new ones, not spoiling them by being too casual.

#6 Meccaroy

Meccaroy

sdrawkcab sdaerht daer I

• umbiciles
  • 3788 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 02:33 PM

can you suggest a good first album to delve into?

#7 Abelian

Abelian

Trillionaire

• umbiciles
  • 7252 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 02:47 PM

Nacreous Clouds (click link in first post)

The concept of the album was to musically capture nacreous clouds, which are rare, short-lived clouds that form in the uppermost reaches of the atmosphere (60,000 to 80,000 ft). Because they form so high up, light reflecting off the earth illuminates them from beneath, and they often display brilliant colors. In accordance with this, the album was made from 37 brief tracks that float by in gentle, colorful wisps. They executed the concept pretty much perfectly; there are many different textures, shapes and colors throughout the album, just like there are an amazing variety of nacreous clouds, but all of them feel consistently soft and cloudy.

Posted Image

Having the many different tracks makes the album easier to swallow than their albums made from only a few tracks or 1 track, which are most of their albums. Another one with lots of tracks is Capri, but I think Nacreous Clouds flows better and feels much more cohesive.

Shuffle is highly encouraged for this one. For some time now I've thought about how to create an album that would sound perfect played in an arbitrary order, but I think I've been beat to it with Nacreous Clouds. Still, there's the even greater challenge of making a seamless, gapless album that sounds perfect in any order. Now that would be amazing to hear.

#8 Shakedown Street

Shakedown Street

Sunset Limited

• umbiciles
  • 5540 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 03:29 PM

my favorite album is Continents. i usually put it on before bed and always stay up to listen to it all.

#9 Abelian

Abelian

Trillionaire

• umbiciles
  • 7252 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 03:32 PM

I've only given Continents one listen; saving it for some time later while I explore other albums more fully. I remember it being deep and dark.

#10 Meccaroy

Meccaroy

sdrawkcab sdaerht daer I

• umbiciles
  • 3788 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 03:55 PM

also this Thread's first post is what mumblings should be about.

#11 ghost

ghost
  • sweater kid
  • 7421 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 08:43 PM

not to mention at least 9 new chubby wolf releases
I feel like the best is yet to come even though Dani is gone
they do every style well

#12 Amrk.

Amrk.

The Fool

• umbiciles
  • 3942 posts
  • Interests:Meanwhile.

Posted 31 March 2010 - 02:16 PM

cursory asperses was really nice. gonna check out some more.

#13 Abelian

Abelian

Trillionaire

• umbiciles
  • 7252 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 02:47 PM

Been listening to a lottt of this band...

Favorite 5 Celer albums of the week:

Nacreous Clouds
Mane Blooms
Elias
I Love You So Much I Can't Even Title This (The Light That Never Goes Out Went Out)
Rags of Contentment

<- nerd riding a new musical crush

#14 Shakedown Street

Shakedown Street

Sunset Limited

• umbiciles
  • 5540 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 03:12 PM

do you happen to have link for Mane Blooms?

oh and here is a link to four pieces/one in case you don't have it yet, didn't see it on your list above. :whistle: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=AXJ5OQAB

#15 Abelian

Abelian

Trillionaire

• umbiciles
  • 7252 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 03:14 PM

I'll post one here later today, after I rip it

#16 ghost

ghost
  • sweater kid
  • 7421 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 03:35 PM

Just left over from my blog
When I'm not busy I'll try and add some more releases
Capri
Sunlir/Scols
Dilué (FLAC)
Compositions for Cassette
Discourses of the Withered
Four Pieces part Two
Four Pieces part Three
Tropical

#17 Abelian

Abelian

Trillionaire

• umbiciles
  • 7252 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 03:40 PM

Grabbing Sunlir/Scols and Diluted. I'm trying to find parts One and Four from Four Parts...the other two are impeccable.

What's this file type Sunlir/Scols is in?

#18 ghost

ghost
  • sweater kid
  • 7421 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 04:51 PM

it should be .mp3 320kbs

#19 Abelian

Abelian

Trillionaire

• umbiciles
  • 7252 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 05:09 PM

Hmm, on Megaupload it calls it an "application/octet-stream"; I tried downloading it and got an unknown file type.

#20 ghost

ghost
  • sweater kid
  • 7421 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 05:19 PM

that happens to me sometimes. try renaming it with .rar on the end, it usually works

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users