Ableton Live

• Please log in to reply
269 replies to this topic

#81 MACHETE

MACHETE
  • umbiciles
  • 860 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 05:18 AM

dude you can record automation all day long.

also simen, I would have to disagree with your implication that Ableton is not a proffesional DAW. It was considered more experimental up untill Live 7 but then they gave it the same 32bit floating sound engine as all the other DAWs there is no reason what so ever that Ableton would not give you the same results as the Big boys. Ableton are blurring the edge between studio work and live work. The other DAWs just dont compete when it comes to creativity and simplicity.

your sincerly

Ableton no1 fan boy. :ohay:

#82 bloop

bloop
  • umbiciles
  • 11214 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 05:56 AM

man i've totally figured out this automation thing now
new doors unlocked :smile:

#83 bodgers

bodgers
  • umbiciles
  • 1025 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 06:14 AM

man i've totally figured out this automation thing now
new doors unlocked :smile:

it saves growing those other 6 arms eh? :biggrin:

#84 exo

exo

Rich Kids don't go rogue

• umbiciles
  • 6761 posts
  • Interests:Women and money.

Posted 20 January 2009 - 06:37 AM

also simen, I would have to disagree with your implication that Ableton is not a proffesional DAW. It was considered more experimental up untill Live 7 but then they gave it the same 32bit floating sound engine as all the other DAWs there is no reason what so ever that Ableton would not give you the same results as the Big boys. Ableton are blurring the edge between studio work and live work. The other DAWs just dont compete when it comes to creativity and simplicity.

your sincerly

Well, I get what you're saying, and I see where you're coming from. I guess I just feel it's better to have absolute control, even if the learning curve is very steep.

#85 Ratking

Ratking

We go S - T - U - P - I - D.

• umbiciles
  • 1195 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 10:59 PM

I just got the addictive drums that someone was talking about earlier in this thread... Holy shit... I almost want to go buy the actual thing now. I found a solid rip, but this is something worth having for reals. This shit is incredible. I am really really impressed.

#86 Ender

Ender

Your Dad

• umbiciles
  • 3242 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 01:44 AM

your sincerly

Well, I get what you're saying, and I see where you're coming from. I guess I just feel it's better to have absolute control, even if the learning curve is very steep.

ableton is a toy at best from my experiences. i would never want to spend hours mixing in it, and just because it finally has decent resolution doesnt mean its going to give you the same results as other DAWs. its a nice light weight program. it's not worth the money, it's not worth downloading when its a lot easier to download something better. i just don't get why people like it. i guess maybe if it was my first DAW i might have thought it was cool compared to other ones. but seriously you can not think it even comes close to cubase/nuendo, logic, or pro tools.

ableton is just a prosumer program on crack. end of story.

#87 Ender

Ender

Your Dad

• umbiciles
  • 3242 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 01:46 AM

Can someone explain to me in very simple terms how to rewire Reason to Ableton, and what I can do with it?

there is no simple way to explain it. im sure there are youtube videos and help tutorials in the program. but with it you can create mixdowns of both your ableton material and reason material at the same time. using the midi data and instruments in reason with ableton. this gets difficult when mixing tho.

#88 bodgers

bodgers
  • umbiciles
  • 1025 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 04:31 PM

Can someone explain to me in very simple terms how to rewire Reason to Ableton, and what I can do with it?

its a piece of piss to do. but i am doing this from memory so apologies if ive missed something.

Start ableton up.

once thats loaded start up reason.

Create something in reason for eg redrum and make sure its wired into the mixing desk in reason.

crate a simple pattern on the redrum and leave it looping round.

Go to ableton where you adjust the volume or pan of a channel theres a drop down box, on the drop down menu the redrum youve created should be listed. select it.

enable the audio (like you would a guitar etc) and you should hear the loop.

bobs your uncle, fannys your aunt.

what it does is enable you to do is abit harder to explain in simple terms.. you can use reason.. in synch with ableton.. so forget about the arrangement window in reason and you should see all the midi information in the ableton window. it stops you having to bounce all the reason stuff into audio, so you can adjust it later etc, and use all the rack units in reason in ableton.

hope that makes sense.

#89 bodgers

bodgers
  • umbiciles
  • 1025 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 04:37 PM

ableton is a toy at best from my experiences. i would never want to spend hours mixing in it, and just because it finally has decent resolution doesnt mean its going to give you the same results as other DAWs. its a nice light weight program. it's not worth the money, it's not worth downloading when its a lot easier to download something better. i just don't get why people like it. i guess maybe if it was my first DAW i might have thought it was cool compared to other ones. but seriously you can not think it even comes close to cubase/nuendo, logic, or pro tools.

ahahaha let me know how the sound mixing on the new project comes along.. what is it your working on at the minute?

the hobbit? U2s new album? oh.. your not are you? why the obsession for pro tools when your just recording your farts?

I agree with this

ableton is the best program for live electronic performances
i will not disagree that there are much better options for producing
but id rather just create it all in ableton

and when I get to the level where it matters I'll let the professionals record me. Maybe I'll give you a call.

#90 MACHETE

MACHETE
  • umbiciles
  • 860 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 05:39 PM

your sincerly

Im sorry but a good engineer will perform a good mix on anything with decent eq and compression, just beacuse you use pro tools or cubase doest mean your recordings or mixing is going to be any better.

Ableton is a toy lol, Ive used all the other DAWs and they give no better or worse results when recording and mixing its only personal preference, the workflow in Ableton is far beyond the other DAWS.

#91 MACHETE

MACHETE
  • umbiciles
  • 860 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 05:50 PM

there is no simple way to explain it. im sure there are youtube videos and help tutorials in the program. but with it you can create mixdowns of both your ableton material and reason material at the same time. using the midi data and instruments in reason with ableton. this gets difficult when mixing tho.

there is a simple way of explaining it if you jsut want to work with audio

Open Ableton
Open Reason
Select Reason as the audio in on any audio channel and ARM THE TRACK
You will here Reason and can record the audio

You can control Reason via midi through aswell , I just work in audio , theres some youtube VIDs on that, its fairly simple but you have to play with the wiring in reason.

#92 Ender

Ender

Your Dad

• umbiciles
  • 3242 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 12:38 AM

your sincerly

Im sorry but a good engineer will perform a good mix on anything with decent eq and compression, just beacuse you use pro tools or cubase doest mean your recordings or mixing is going to be any better.

Ableton is a toy lol, Ive used all the other DAWs and they give no better or worse results when recording and mixing its only personal preference, the workflow in Ableton is far beyond the other DAWS.

false, seriously especially with the programs running 64 bit float these days.
also certain programs color the audio in different ways, and will also read/record the information in different ways. im not going to get into the mechanics of it all. simply put different DAWs give different sounds, simple as that. There have been numerous tests where the same sine waves were altered in exactly the same way and treated in exactly the same way with the same signal processing in different DAWs and there were very clear differences in the output and quality.

im gonna say one last thing on that note about ableton, and then ditch this thread because its an appreciation thread after all.

but ableton strips away a lot of things that are unnecessary for its aims and goals. A lot of the under the surface stuff that the big boys have, and stuff that the guys that made ableton knew their users wouldnt miss and knew they wouldnt even know what they were missing. Im not an expert on this stuff, but a lot of my friends are recording arts majors, digidisign certfied people, people who know what they are talking about, and we sit around geek out of on this stuff all day long. There is a good reason very few great albums are being done on ableton.

and as far as live stuff, reaper just upgraded and kicks the shit out of ableton.

lastly i think ableton is for lazy musicians, who could care less what their end product sounds like.

#93 bloop

bloop
  • umbiciles
  • 11214 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 01:52 AM

Yeah I'm with n00dcats

fuck you homies i love my ableton

#94 bloop

bloop
  • umbiciles
  • 11214 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 01:54 AM

lastly i think ableton is for lazy musicians, who could care less what their end product sounds like.

this is pretty wrong

#95 Ender

Ender

Your Dad

• umbiciles
  • 3242 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 01:37 AM

i sometimes really hate you music production buffs
its about the music
not the production
atleast for me
ill write songs
and if someone likes them enough to think they matter
ill have someone produce it for me
its not about being lazy

its about interests of different aspects of music creating
/2 cents

har. songwrting is 2000 times more important to me than production.

also that sounds pretty lazy to me. "im too lazy to learn how to do it myself so ill just see if someone else will do it for me, cause ultimately i don't really care."

i mean thats fine, ableton, garage band, pro tools, fruity loops, a 4track recorder are all fine for making demos, or recording ideas. and if thats all you are doing then thats great. i do all my demos in garage band because its such a light quick program.

if all you are doing is making songs to eventually have someone produce later, why would you do it in a program like ableton? its expensive, and is a pretty heavy program for what it sounds like you are doing..

with everything set aside, i really am having trouble understand all the ableton love. the only thing i can ever come up with is, it has a bunch of lazy presets, it restricts your control, in order to guide you into a better end product with little work.

i mean seriously what are they going to do next create a program that analyzes your waveforms when you record them and then decide the best compression and mix parameters for you, while also quantizing and autotuning all your mistakes. cause seriously it sounds like people would just eat that up, which is really sad.

#96 Ender

Ender

Your Dad

• umbiciles
  • 3242 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 01:39 AM

Yeah I'm with n00dcats

sepoe i think ableton is great for the music you make. you are one of the few people i understand why they use it. much love.

#97 fantôme nu

fantôme nu

• umbiciles
  • 1715 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 01:44 AM

i do all my records in garageband

are you saying that i'm just producing 'demos' ???

well that's shit, man

#98 bloop

bloop
  • umbiciles
  • 11214 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 01:46 AM

Yeah I'm with n00dcats

sepoe i think ableton is great for the music you make. you are one of the few people i understand why they use it. much love.

oh, cool. Yeah I mean, it's great for ambient music and that's all I really know.

#99 Ratking

Ratking

We go S - T - U - P - I - D.

• umbiciles
  • 1195 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 07:28 AM

There is really nothing wrong with it for any bedroom musician, I don't get all the hate. I mean if I was paying money, I would expect someone to have a setup like the one in my parents basement or better (probably better, depending on what I was paying.), but for making shit alone in your room. Ableton is more then enough. Plus who ACTUALLY uses the presets in ableton anyways? I don't I just use it cause the interface is easy to fuck with, especially the clip view and shit, and since I don't have the latest upgrade of Pro Tools, it is the best thing I have access to for doing midi shit. Pro Tools prior to the most recent release is probably the most shitty thing I have ever tried to do midi in. It is a joke; it was kinda an after thought almost.

#100 Anavidovic

Anavidovic

Banned

• Poster Hall of Fame
  • 4479 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 08:54 AM

ratking you sly motherfucker

you avoided all of the NOOB ABLETON USER hate because youre a sneaky rattish fuck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users