488 replies to this topic

#61 Ender

Ender

Your Dad

• umbiciles
  • 3242 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 12:04 PM

I mean post-recording.

you know i was thinking. you could make two tracks of the cymbals, pan them left and right (don't hard pan them, just find where they lay nice in the mix) and on one add like 10-15 ms of delay to fatten it up. this should make it sound like its right in your ear. then maybe usea little reverb on it with very little sustain to push it further back to where you want it. just thought may not work.

#62 wasco

wasco

there will be snacks

• umbiciles
  • 1609 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 12:48 PM

I've fixed that problem, mostly with changes to recording techniques.

#63 Ender

Ender

Your Dad

• umbiciles
  • 3242 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 03:46 PM

I've fixed that problem, mostly with changes to recording techniques.

well you know what they say. "get it right from the start"

thats actually the most important part of production.
getting all your levels and recordings right from the get go.
glad you fixed it.
what did you end up changing?

#64 MACHETE

MACHETE
  • umbiciles
  • 860 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 01:00 AM

Subtractive EQ is fucking essential. LEARN TO DO IT NOW. General advise, high pass everything but the kick and bass. Also additive EQ is used to add presence to a sound in the mix. If you cant improve the clarity of a sound then you recorded it perfectly. Maybe ill post some tunes soon so I dont sound full of shit.

Heres one of the best tutorials ive found

http://www.dogsonaci...threadid=399049

Also read the book on the previous page, my mixing has improved 1000% percent in the last few months thanks to these reading materials

Also heres some links with charts and important EQ info.

http://www.soundonso...s/mar95/eq.html
http://www.soundonso...les/usingeq.asp
http://www.sirgalaha...c/eq-guide.html

#65 Ender

Ender

Your Dad

• umbiciles
  • 3242 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 12:22 PM

Subtractive EQ is fucking essential. LEARN TO DO IT NOW. General advise, high pass everything but the kick and bass. Also additive EQ is used to add presence to a sound in the mix. If you cant improve the clarity of a sound then you recorded it perfectly. Maybe ill post some tunes soon so I dont sound full of shit.

Heres one of the best tutorials ive found

http://www.dogsonaci...threadid=399049

Also read the book on the previous page, my mixing has improved 1000% percent in the last few months thanks to these reading materials

Also heres some links with charts and important EQ info.

http://www.soundonso...s/mar95/eq.html
http://www.soundonso...les/usingeq.asp
http://www.sirgalaha...c/eq-guide.html

dude you rock. that mixing book was pretty sweet, i don't know if i learned all that much. but maybe it made a few things clearer.

#66 knight-errant

knight-errant
  • blue steel
  • 12561 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 12:32 PM

thanks for answering my questions dude, i really appreciate it.

#67 exo

exo

Rich Kids don't go rogue

• umbiciles
  • 6761 posts
  • Interests:Women and money.

Posted 08 January 2009 - 01:04 AM

Subtractive EQ is something I have nightmares about, but it does wonders to a mix.

#68 Ender

Ender

Your Dad

• umbiciles
  • 3242 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 03:16 AM

Subtractive EQ is something I have wet dreams about, it does wonders to a mix.

#69 exo

exo

Rich Kids don't go rogue

• umbiciles
  • 6761 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 05:25 AM

Seriously? I hate it. I mean, I do it all the time, but having everything recorded, I dread going into the lengthy mixing process.

#70 Circle Button

Circle Button
  • umbiciles
  • 7285 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 07:53 AM

i mix as i go along...

sometimes i mix all the instruments before i start writing my melodies and such(i work in FL8)

that way i feel like i can get the vibe going before the song is even written..it just seems to help the interplay of different instruments

maybe i spend too much time with effects and eq during the actual writing process..but it seems to work alright

#71 (3L35714L

(3L35714L
  • umbiciles
  • 444 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 09:25 AM

If I record a really bassy, C-standard tuning guitar, can I add mids to it after the fact or do I need to retune to E and re-record? I did no EQing whatsoever on the mixer or amp, and the microphone is a CAD KBM 412. People were telling me that the guitar lacks mids and I want to know if it was because of my process or just because the guitar itself was detuned so low.

EDIT: I'm with you Cochese. I record everything in tiny musical chunks, probably about in 30-60 second pieces and stitch it together, so I mix everything as I go. I'm really anal and perfectionist about (how it sounds) it too.

EDIT 2: Also, for the eq tutotial that was posted, I went to bugmenot.com and you guys can log on to that dogsonacid forum without registering if you use this information... usr: yamasaki pass: yamasaki

#72 Circle Button

Circle Button
  • umbiciles
  • 7285 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 09:58 AM

I'm with you Cochese. I record everything in tiny musical chunks, probably about in 30-60 second pieces and stitch it together, so I mix everything as I go. I'm really anal and perfectionist about (how it sounds) it too.

most of the time i start out with 3-4 bars...and i'll work on that for a couple hours usually

i work with a sample based guitar vst that is programmed in the midi piano roll

so when i finally get that first 4 bar loop mixed i start copying it into different patterns ands basically creating variations on fly fairly quickly...i realize programming is the opposite of improv..but i try to do it in that spirit

#73 Ender

Ender

Your Dad

• umbiciles
  • 3242 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 11:33 AM

If I record a really bassy, C-standard tuning guitar, can I add mids to it after the fact or do I need to retune to E and re-record? I did no EQing whatsoever on the mixer or amp, and the microphone is a CAD KBM 412. People were telling me that the guitar lacks mids and I want to know if it was because of my process or just because the guitar itself was detuned so low.

EDIT: I'm with you Cochese. I record everything in tiny musical chunks, probably about in 30-60 second pieces and stitch it together, so I mix everything as I go. I'm really anal and perfectionist about (how it sounds) it too.

EDIT 2: Also, for the eq tutotial that was posted, I went to bugmenot.com and you guys can log on to that dogsonacid forum without registering if you use this information... usr: yamasaki pass: yamasaki

well, that sounds like a general guitar tone issue. try fixing that with the amps built in eq and the tone control on the guitar. also a little compression might help. also you might want to play around with different mic placements. in short the closer you place your mic the more bass you get. also the more off center you place the mic on the cone of the amp the more bass you get. also the closer you put the mi to the center of the amp the louder it will be and the more treble charecter your recorded tone will have.

also try cutting some of the bass frequencies to let the mids breathe a bit more. maybe if you still cant get it right you can bump the mids just a bit with eq.

p.s. I used to mix a lot as I went along, its a tempting thing to do. I think after you work with production long enough you are able to envision what the finished result will be after adding some producion to the sound. In the end it is always best to wait until everything is recorded. If you mix as you go along sometimes it is really hard to fix some trouble spots. Mixing as you go along is kind of like just making lyrics to a song as you go along, it is better to have an idea of what you are doing exactly in the big picture than what sounds good that minute. i find that as soon as i add bass if i have been mixing as i a go things get tricky, because the bass effects the overall mix so much most of the time.

#74 (3L35714L

(3L35714L
  • umbiciles
  • 444 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 12:57 PM

it was about a 6-8 inches away, directly centered, and the guitar and amp sound great without adjusting the settings, so its probably just the mic itself and how the sound translates through the mic, mixer, and soundcard

its ok, I already released the EP and I can't fix things after the fact, but from now on I guess I'll try some additional subtractive EQing (already compressed--I at least know how to do that now!). In general, the guitar *wasn't* supposed to be the most prominent instrument, mostly for texture, but if I was going for a more commercial sound I think you definitely gave me the best advice. ;)

EQing is a totally new concept to me.

EDIT: Oh, and I always make up lyrics after the fact. ;) I like the challenge of coming up with something very technical and then having to choose literary devices and phrases that fit will. Despite the fact I killed your analogy, it makes sense.

#75 Circle Button

Circle Button
  • umbiciles
  • 7285 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 01:45 PM

for anyone that uses VSTs..

for mixing guitars and vocals i've been using a free plugin that is awesome(not the only type of eq-ing i do)

check it out:
Back Stage EQ ONE
http://www.mediafire.com/?4zm2lmcizhm

Posted Image

Intended for those who need to get their mix done fast and clean but want to have a lot of control over the sound, Back Stage EQ ONE packs eight controls for adjusting certain characteristics of the sound such as depth, warmth, body, clarity, presence, brightness, punch, and space. Gentle compression is carefully applied to certain frequencies to help remove some common defects in the sound like too much low-rumble and sibilance. Punch and space are non-EQ controls. Punch increases the attack of the sound, while space applies subtle early reflections to reduce the proximity effect. The 4-band stereo effect switches allow you to select which part of the sound to widen. This is useful when trying to move overlapping frequencies of different tracks (eg. moving the low of the vocals to the sides to make way for the kick drums and bass guitar in the center). There's also a send level control which allows you to adjust how much of the total effect will be applied to the original sound.

It's all about character.

Back Stage EQ ONE can also be used to instantly add flavor to your sound. For those who are not afraid to add that extra 'brilliance' or make the sound 'warm and fuzzy' it can't get easier than this. With this free VST effect you can add character to your vocals or guitar solo's in no time. Tired of thin vocals? Increase the 'depth' or the 'body' a little. Is the sound too painful to the ear? Dial down the 'presence' and the 'warmth'. Is your guitar strumming sounding a little dull? Give it some 'brightness'. Are your backing vocals buried? Add some 'clarity'. Is that drum part sounding lame even though it's loud? Let it pack some 'punch'. If you know what you want in your sound, it's easy to get it right.

#76 (3L35714L

(3L35714L
  • umbiciles
  • 444 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 02:16 PM

Cochese-

Thanks, I'll take a look at that!

#77 Ender

Ender

Your Dad

• umbiciles
  • 3242 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 12:47 AM

Seriously? I hate it. I mean, I do it all the time, but having everything recorded, I dread going into the lengthy mixing process.

i don't know, its kind of like a puzzle. its fun, its rewarding. its kind of like sculpting sound.

#78 exo

exo

Rich Kids don't go rogue

• umbiciles
  • 6761 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 01:50 AM

It's rewarding, but it's what I dislike the most about making music. I guess it would be more fun if I didn't suck at it.

#79 (3L35714L

(3L35714L
  • umbiciles
  • 444 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 07:54 AM

yes.. I think I've got this...

*when recording the guitar, turn off the bass and trebel on the mixer and amp*
*when recording the bass, turn off the mids and trebel*
*when recording the vocals, turn off bass and trebel*
*when recording drums, flip shit--there's no fucking way!*

amidoinitrite?

#80 Ender

Ender

Your Dad

• umbiciles
  • 3242 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 09:32 PM

yes.. I think I've got this...

*when recording the guitar, turn off the bass and trebel on the mixer and amp*
*when recording the bass, turn off the mids and trebel*
*when recording the vocals, turn off bass and trebel*
*when recording drums, flip shit--there's no fucking way!*

amidoinitrite?

yes exactly correct. THEE george martin told me himself this is the best way to record music.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users