Posted 08 November 2008 - 11:40 PM

fo sho? that's cool, i liked that the most anywayz

now i just need 60 bux

#42 knight-errant

knight-errant
  • blue steel
  • 12561 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 01:38 PM

gaise i need a laptop under 400 bones that can run pro tools without stopping every 2 seconds tellign me to increase my buffer size

#43 baby broomy

baby broomy

• umbiciles
  • 1346 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 07:10 PM

i want to do something distinct on this new record
that i'm about to record over christmas vacation

something as far as recording or sound goes

some strange method or style of getting stuff recorded

any suggestions?

#44 wasco

wasco

there will be snacks

• umbiciles
  • 1609 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 08:17 PM

Exo, how could I make distant cymbals sound closer??

#45 wasco

wasco

there will be snacks

• umbiciles
  • 1609 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 08:41 PM

I mean post-recording.

#46 exo

exo

Rich Kids don't go rogue

• umbiciles
  • 6761 posts
  • Interests:Women and money.

Posted 26 November 2008 - 07:38 AM

You can try and gate them. I imagine it's the natural reverb that gives them this sound. Also, if you mix the cymbals wider, they will appear to sound closer, but be careful as not so separate them from the overall kit sound.

#47 wasco

wasco

there will be snacks

• umbiciles
  • 1609 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 02:32 PM

I'll try gating them I guess, although that seems impractical off the top of my head.

And my cymbals are panned fully. For some reason I always have terrible stereo space on my drums even though the mics are far away and they're fully panned.

#48 exo

exo

Rich Kids don't go rogue

• umbiciles
  • 6761 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 03:38 PM

Are you sure you're not having phase issues?

#49 wasco

wasco

there will be snacks

• umbiciles
  • 1609 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 05:15 PM

That seems likely. How do I know for sure though?

#50 exo

exo

Rich Kids don't go rogue

• umbiciles
  • 6761 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 05:53 AM

There are a lot of good phase guides on the internet, but it's fairly easy to compare waveforms to see if they don't match up.

#51 moac

moac
  • umbiciles
  • 6150 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 08:15 PM

3:1 ratio rule has never failed me when distancing mics

#52 Marionette

Marionette

¡¡¡ make me a effing mod duncan ¡¡¡

• umbiciles
  • 2586 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 09:10 PM

i want to do something distinct on this new record
that i'm about to record over christmas vacation

something as far as recording or sound goes

some strange method or style of getting stuff recorded

any suggestions?

im making a record right now that is just me on banjo recorded through a cheap tape recorder.
i put that on my computer then record tracks over it to make it sound more full.
a layer of banjo, some guitar, tmbourine, harmonica etc.

it sounds really distinct.

but thats my idea.
don't use it.

or do. i dont mind

#53 Houdini

Houdini
  • umbiciles
  • 2721 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 02:29 PM

Going to be crafting my sample kit tomorrow.

Two condensers, one fat and one pencil. Record each part of my kit separately as best I can, import into Logic so I have my own drumkit perfectly recorded wherever I go.

#54 knight-errant

knight-errant
  • blue steel
  • 12561 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 02:25 AM

guise i need to soundproof my room

the room is basically my attic and i already like the acoustics of it

the only concern i really have is i don't want too make too much noise for my neighbors and such because im also going to use it as a practice room.

i'm looking at this foam BUT I NEED HALP

#55 exo

exo

Rich Kids don't go rogue

• umbiciles
  • 6761 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 03:35 AM

Going to be crafting my sample kit tomorrow.

Two condensers, one fat and one pencil. Record each part of my kit separately as best I can, import into Logic so I have my own drumkit perfectly recorded wherever I go.

How are you going about with velocity?

#56 Ender

Ender

Your Dad

• umbiciles
  • 3242 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 03:40 AM

im about to clear up a bunch of questions

#57 MACHETE

MACHETE
  • umbiciles
  • 860 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 03:51 AM

I read this book and its was like finding the wizards manual of slaying dragons

BEHOLD !!!!

the art of mixing

http://www.scribd.co...e-Art-of-Mixing

#58 Ender

Ender

Your Dad

• umbiciles
  • 3242 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 04:11 AM

When I try to record my acoustic I get, behind the notes, a high perhaps harmonic frequency. No matter how I adjust the recording settings like to increase high end or low end it's still there.

are you getting this even when you are not recording the guitar?

just cut the freq with a filter.

my tip: record with as few mics as possible, just enough to get the job done. I usually do something like two on drums (stereo would be nice I guess), one on guitar (a second if theres just one guitar), none on bass (DI), one for vocals and no crazy complicated plugins on anything.

that might be nice for demos. thats all though.

and stereo micing the drums? i say go with three if you arent going to fully mic the kit. overhead snar and bass.

Hey mixing thread. Three questions for you.

1: Software. I have a pirated version of Acoustica Mixcraft 4. It's alright, but I wouldn't pay money for it. I have used Audacity int he past. I'm really good at using it, but it produces bad quality files. This may be because of me not having a USB interface and just going straight into my computer's microphone jack.

I'm considering getting Sony Acid 7. I'm going to try it first by downloading Acid Express, and if I don't like it I'm going to try Fruityloops. I don't loop really at all, but I might if I get it.

Is there a whole lot of difference between Acid and Fruityloops? Or is Fruityloops just a recording studio a la Acid with a really good looper thrown in?

2: Getting a USB interface is probably mandatory if I want to make good quality sounding music. What do you recommend? I don't have a firewire on my laptop, and I would probably be using basic instrument cables, no MIDI, unless I find a way to record a gutiar with MIDI.

3: Is it possible to record a guitar with MIDI? If so, what kind of cords/hardware do I need, and is it expensive?

1.pirate something nice. for pc i like cubase, pretty easy to pirate pretty powerful program.

mac its pretty easy to pirate logic.

protools is a bitch to pirate. digidesign knows what they are doing.

2. if your lap top has a pci card slot you can add firwire to it i beleive. use firewire if you can. if not make sure you computer is a beast to make up for the latency that comes with usb. (there are lots of good guides on the net for tweaking your comp)

3. yes you can get midi pickups for your guitar. most suck. some rock. if you are going to do this and actually make it work get ready to drop some $$$

Yeah, I have an Mbox 2. I've been recording with it since March, and I mean, that's happened. But it usually happens once or twice and then I can continue recording. However, when I tried to do it yesterday, I tried for at least a half-hour, to no avail.

sounds like a RAM issue to me. if you are maxed and still recieving that problem. maybe try unistalling and defragmenting. and then maybe making some more tweaks. could be wrong on this.

Guys, recommend me a mixer under 100-150 bones

so far i've liked these

http://pro-audio.mus...-802?sku=631263
http://pro-audio.mus...ixer?sku=630263

i have no previous experience with mixers but i plan to record up to 7/8 instruments (drums, bass, guitar, vocals, percussion, keys, clarinet, and possibly saxophone)

if you are needing this for recording, then you are better off saving up and getting an input that can carry that many signals and just recording it all and mixing it later. its worth saving up for.

gaise i need a laptop under 400 bones that can run pro tools without stopping every 2 seconds tellign me to increase my buffer size

yea right. sorry. im pretty sure pro tools would eat anything that cheap. seriously pro tools is serious business unlike most other DAWs. pro tools will seriously fry your computer if it isnt up too it. my friend is digidesign certified and gave me the whole break down on it.

guise i need to soundproof my room

the room is basically my attic and i already like the acoustics of it

the only concern i really have is i don't want too make too much noise for my neighbors and such because im also going to use it as a practice room.

i'm looking at this foam BUT I NEED HALP

soundproofing is extremely difficult, most of the time much more so than most people think. sound will find a way to get out if its there. kind of like a bottle of water with a hole in the bottom. just like the water in the bottle its always going to find a way out. this makes soundproofing a really difficult job. for creating something that is completely sound proof you almost need to build that room from scratch. eggshells on the wall might cut out some of the higher frequencies, but arent going to do anything for the low frequencies, which are most likely what you are neighbors a hearing anyways and are giving them headaches. in my experience, a little public relations goes a long way. go talk to your neighbors explain to them you are not trying to annoy them you are just trying to do what you live for. maybe work out some times that would be better for them for you to play music. maybe they go to church on sunday mornings and wont be around during that time. or maybe they work at night and when you are playing during the day thats when it really bothers them, i don't. but if they at least have a face to put with the music then they are more likely to work with you and ultimately make both of you happier. if nothing else this might buy you some time while you prepare to get it sound proofed.

well thats my two cents.

also as far as mixing goes a few tips i have picked up a long the way.

1. as you are mixing and starting to EQ everything, draw yourself some graphs where all the frequencies are lying. the #1 killer too having a good mix is having a huge lump of sound over one frequencies. going and cutting a lot of your tracks that are lumping around that frequency can really clean up your mix.

2. watch the bottom end on your reverb, i hear so many shitty recordings that just are soaked with bottom end on the reverb, it sounds shitty, cut those frequencies.

3. stereo effects are your friend. but can be a bitch to mix.

4. also make graphs of where everything is sitting in the mix, and where they move too with automated panning. i usually do this with tracing paper and colored markers. sometimes, it easier to see certain things than hear it, but a good ear always wins out. this is also a lot easier to look at and tell rather than most of those lame ass little sliders that most DAWs do.

#59 Circle Button

Circle Button
  • umbiciles
  • 7285 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 11:34 AM

also as far as mixing goes a few tips i have picked up a long the way.

1. as you are mixing and starting to EQ everything, draw yourself some graphs where all the frequencies are lying. the #1 killer too having a good mix is having a huge lump of sound over one frequencies. going and cutting a lot of your tracks that are lumping around that frequency can really clean up your mix.

2. watch the bottom end on your reverb, i hear so many shitty recordings that just are soaked with bottom end on the reverb, it sounds shitty, cut those frequencies.

3. stereo effects are your friend. but can be a bitch to mix

4. also make graphs of where everything is sitting in the mix, and where they move too with automated panning. i usually do this with tracing paper and colored markers. sometimes, it easier to see certain things than hear it, but a good ear always wins out. this is also a lot easier to look at and tell rather than most of those lame ass little sliders that most DAWs do.

this is some really good advice...i feel that making graphs would improve my mixes tenfold...i usually see my music visually in my head as it is

cutting of frequences is such a huge thing and it is hard to do right

from what i undertand you should never really be boosting anything..just cut

but if you do boost a small range of frequencies those same frequencies should be cut somewhere else in the mix.
for me this is huge when trying to make your basslines work with your kick drums(this is where i think i am going to use your idea of making graphs)

#60 wasco

wasco

there will be snacks

• umbiciles
  • 1609 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 11:50 AM

I read this book and its was like finding the wizards manual of slaying dragons

BEHOLD !!!!

the art of mixing

http://www.scribd.co...e-Art-of-Mixing

Thanks, this looks useful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic