**General Production and Mixing Discussion**

• Please log in to reply
493 replies to this topic

#481 sep

sep
  • umbiciles
  • 2851 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:48 AM

lol I deleted the post because I re-listened and it sounded fairly okay. Wasn't expecting a reply that quick.

but yeah your reply makes sense, thanks :] I'm gonna make sure the mix sounds great on my crap speakers first.

#482 Circle Button

Circle Button
  • umbiciles
  • 7285 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:38 AM

can anyone recommend some good plugins for orchestral sounds?
strings, woodwinds, brass, percussion, whatever.
i wanna give creating some big sounds a shot.

No such thing

No plugin is going to be able to recreate those sounds. It will always come out sounding cheap.

You have to use samples for strings and brass and percussion unless you don't mind them sounding synthetic.

So either record your owns ounds, chop up other tracks, or purchase one of those royalty free soundfount packages you can find all over the internet.

If you need something basic to get you going right away try this:

#483 Abelian

Abelian

Trillionaire

• umbiciles
  • 7252 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:44 PM

It depends what you mean by "plugin" - you can buy banks of very high quality sound recordings of orchestral instruments. Like 50 gigs worth of files. They're expensive and highly usable. (I'm bettin these are what you had in mind when you said samples rather than plugins.)

But yeah, small-sized plugins that modulate existing sounds aren't gonna be able to give reasonable orchestral timbres.

#484 nice

nice

Electric Wizard

• fenomeno
  • 9547 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:09 AM

I started interning at Echo Mountain Studios recently. Here are some pics of the place

Spoiler

#485 tnáchouu

tnáchouu
  • umbiciles
  • 764 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:09 AM

oh fuck that looks great haha i hope you get to do some cool shit in there

#486 nice

nice

Electric Wizard

• fenomeno
  • 9547 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:13 PM

EMI mixer originally from Abbey Road

Posted Image

I recorded a metal band over the weekend. I'd like to upload the rough mix and get some feedback from some of you good people. Maybe later this week.

#487 Circle Button

Circle Button
  • umbiciles
  • 7285 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 11:01 AM

Oh yeah, I have some questions:

1. Does anyone know of a pitch shifting plugin that works in real time, and allows you to automate the pitch?
2. What's the best free reverb out there?

If you're using FL studio you don't even need a plugin to automate pitch in real time...there is no latency like there are with pitch shifting plugins..mostof them are cpu hogbs...in FL Studio you can just twist the pitch knob in the sampler and record automation (knob can be set for how many semitones you want to be able to pitch shift)

I have tons of reverb plugs and I'm not really completely happy with any of them...some sound really good, but it just depends on the source material. Each plugin I have seems to have it's own unique strengths and weaknesses

i record and mix with $15 sony headphones

is that bad?

In theory, very bad...but I do the same thing...just uplug them once in a while..and if you can still here all the instruments coming out of your tiny laptop speakers as well as your headphones, then you're probably doing a good enough job mixing.

#488 nice

nice

Electric Wizard

• fenomeno
  • 9547 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:25 AM

i record and mix with $15 sony headphones

is that bad?

In theory, very bad...but I do the same thing...just uplug them once in a while..and if you can still here all the instruments coming out of your tiny laptop speakers as well as your headphones, then you're probably doing a good enough job mixing.

Someone recommended these headphones to me. I'm thinking about ordering a pair, the reviews look real good

#489 sep

sep
  • umbiciles
  • 2851 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:49 PM

Can anyone recommend a good, free guitar amp simulation plug-in (audio unit)?

I want to get some decent, tasty fuzz sounds with my electric at home

edit: just downloaded a bunch but they were all a bit TOO fuzzy haha. Guess the best way is to just mike a real amp

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users