#2 exo

exo

Rich Kids don't go rogue

• umbiciles
  • 6761 posts
  • Interests:Women and money.

Posted 05 September 2008 - 02:47 AM

Oh yeah, I have some questions:

1. Does anyone know of a pitch shifting plugin that works in real time, and allows you to automate the pitch?
2. What's the best free reverb out there?

#3 broomagik

broomagik

• umbiciles
  • 1808 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 02:17 PM

best free reverb out there is recording in a big room

#4 A picasso blue

A picasso blue

Raging misanthrope with a heart of gold

• umbiciles
  • 2712 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 12:17 PM

When I try to record my acoustic I get, behind the notes, a high perhaps harmonic frequency. No matter how I adjust the recording settings like to increase high end or low end it's still there.

#5 exo

exo

Rich Kids don't go rogue

• umbiciles
  • 6761 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 12:19 PM

Have you tried recording in a different room?

#6 A picasso blue

A picasso blue

Raging misanthrope with a heart of gold

• umbiciles
  • 2712 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 06:57 PM

it requires software that I have on one of two computers. i don't really use the other one since i got my own but i'll try and see it it's different. nowhere in my house is great for acoustics though

#7 Dethkateer

Dethkateer
  • umbiciles
  • 621 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 10:24 AM

best free reverb out there is recording in a big room

Because of this post I think your name is appropriate.

#8 Dethkateer

Dethkateer
  • umbiciles
  • 621 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 10:25 AM

When I try to record my acoustic I get, behind the notes, a high perhaps harmonic frequency. No matter how I adjust the recording settings like to increase high end or low end it's still there.

Maybe it's just a string buzzing that you aren't noticing? What mic are you using?

#9 mr. fingertips

mr. fingertips

say yes

• umbiciles
  • 756 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 07:19 AM

my tip: record with as few mics as possible, just enough to get the job done. I usually do something like two on drums (stereo would be nice I guess), one on guitar (a second if theres just one guitar), none on bass (DI), one for vocals and no crazy complicated plugins on anything.

#10 Robert

Robert

Zur3

• umbiciles
  • 567 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 02:51 PM

My guitar tone sucks, come someone explain "EQ"ing in depth?

#11 Houdini

Houdini
  • umbiciles
  • 2721 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 03:13 PM

Im sure you will find a lot more in-depth answer elsewhere.

#12 exo

exo

Rich Kids don't go rogue

• umbiciles
  • 6761 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 04:16 PM

Hey mixing thread. Three questions for you.

1: Software. I have a pirated version of Acoustica Mixcraft 4. It's alright, but I wouldn't pay money for it. I have used Audacity int he past. I'm really good at using it, but it produces bad quality files. This may be because of me not having a USB interface and just going straight into my computer's microphone jack.

I'm considering getting Sony Acid 7. I'm going to try it first by downloading Acid Express, and if I don't like it I'm going to try Fruityloops. I don't loop really at all, but I might if I get it.

Is there a whole lot of difference between Acid and Fruityloops? Or is Fruityloops just a recording studio a la Acid with a really good looper thrown in?

I recommend getting the best software you can get your hands on. If you have to pirate it, please do. A guy from Steinberg once said that they don't mind amateurs using pirated versions, as the ones who learn the software and want to use it profesionally usually end up buying it anyway. That said, you should buy it if you have the money.

The general rule is that if you know one DAW (Digital Audio Workstation), you can basically operate any of them. However, you should try and use the more powerful ones out there, like Nuendo or ProTools. Although they are harder to use at first, the possibilities they offer as an advanced user really pay off if you stick with it and learn to use it properly. With that said, limitations of simpler DAW's could force you to be more creative. Just a thought.

2: Getting a USB interface is probably mandatory if I want to make good quality sounding music. What do you recommend? I don't have a firewire on my laptop, and I would probably be using basic instrument cables, no MIDI, unless I find a way to record a gutiar with MIDI.

If you have the money, and the hardware, you should just get a Firewire interface instead, as they provice lower latency recording, as well as having generally a higher number of I/O options. Both Broom and myself use M-Audio gear, and we're both very happy with it.

3: Is it possible to record a guitar with MIDI? If so, what kind of cords/hardware do I need, and is it expensive?

What exactly do you mean? MIDI does not transfer actual sound.

#13 exo

exo

Rich Kids don't go rogue

• umbiciles
  • 6761 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 04:18 PM

My guitar tone sucks, come someone explain "EQ"ing in depth?

There are far more to guitar tone than using an EQ. How are you recording guitar?

#14 محمود

محمود

mas que nada.

• umbiciles
  • 1444 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 05:24 PM

i have the feeling that a lot of you are trying to mix without studio reference monitors. they really do make a huge difference

#15 exo

exo

Rich Kids don't go rogue

• umbiciles
  • 6761 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 05:45 PM

i have the feeling that a lot of you are trying to mix without studio reference monitors. they really do make a huge difference

Yes and no. If you have a decent speaker setup with proper bass response, and you know how profesionally produced music sounds on it, you should be able to produce stuff that sounds just as good as you would if you have proper monitors. Not all people are able to do this, though. I'm just saying it can be done.

#16 محمود

محمود

mas que nada.

• umbiciles
  • 1444 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 05:47 PM

but for the majority of people trying to mix, reference monitors are a must, won't you agree?

#17 exo

exo

Rich Kids don't go rogue

• umbiciles
  • 6761 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 05:52 PM

but for the majority of people trying to mix, reference monitors are a must, won't you agree?

Yes, but if you don't know how to produce good sound, I also don't think proper monitors are that much help either. But generally, you're right.

#18 Houdini

Houdini
  • umbiciles
  • 2721 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 07:42 AM

Simen is right. People can get bogged down with getting the "best" equipment where what's really important is your ears ability to know the difference between good and bad. So to speak.

#19 bloop

bloop
  • umbiciles
  • 11214 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 08:09 AM

kind of like taking bad photos with an expensive camera.

or buying a mad pricey guitar and suck at guitar.

#20 Tío Broomy

Tío Broomy

President, Dead Posters Society

• umbiciles
  • 4702 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 06:03 PM

i record and mix with $15 sony headphones

is that bad?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users