• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#1 Ender

Ender

Your Dad

• umbiciles
  • 3242 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 10:22 AM

Write a piece of music that contains as near to only one color as possible. Color being timbre. Similar timbre is allowed, for instance the low and high end of a piano, or a string quartet. Possibly a couple of guitars. Or a single voiced piece. You decide.

submissions will be next tuesday. good luck everyone

#2 ???

???
  • umbiciles
  • 3695 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 10:45 AM

heres mine. its just one fingerpicked electric guitar track with some subtle echo on it. starts off classical, then it gets folky, then jazzy

the color of water
http://filebox.me/view/mttk6c22z

#3 Taco

Taco
  • umbiciles
  • 1147 posts
  • Nemesis:Crumpy

Posted 30 November 2009 - 11:44 AM

The quality of my piece depends highly on when I get tapes in the mail.

#4 Ender

Ender

Your Dad

• umbiciles
  • 3242 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 01:07 PM

magnetic tapes? to record with? what year is this?

#5 knight-errant

knight-errant
  • blue steel
  • 12561 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 01:20 PM

thinking about doing vocalz

#6 ???

???
  • umbiciles
  • 3695 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 01:24 PM

hey doods i would appreciate some feedback on my submission :D

#7 knight-errant

knight-errant
  • blue steel
  • 12561 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 01:44 PM

i liked it.

#8 ???

???
  • umbiciles
  • 3695 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 01:51 PM

thanx yo

#9 knight-errant

knight-errant
  • blue steel
  • 12561 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 01:57 PM

if you made an album of stuff like that i would listen to it

#10 Ender

Ender

Your Dad

• umbiciles
  • 3242 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 03:36 PM

i would have liked it better without all the smeary reverby and delay.

it kind of tookawaya from the preciseness of the piece. impressive playing.

#11 exo

exo

Rich Kids don't go rogue

• umbiciles
  • 6761 posts
  • Interests:Women and money.

Posted 30 November 2009 - 03:40 PM

This will be tougher for those of us who try to layer things a bit more than a simple solo track. I almost wish the requirements were that you had to use more than one instrument. That would make this more challenging.

#12 ???

???
  • umbiciles
  • 3695 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 04:57 PM

i would have liked it better without all the smeary reverby and delay.

it kind of tookawaya from the preciseness of the piece. impressive playing.

i think that the echo effect worked really well for the first half of the piece but it does kinda make the second half a little sloppy and noisy sounding when i start strumming chords and playing walking basslines. its hard to tell for me cause when i listen to it i only hear what i know i played.

if your interested in hearing the original, here is the same piece without any effects

http://filebox.me/view/h7cc79pzu

#13 Ender

Ender

Your Dad

• umbiciles
  • 3242 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 11:57 PM

oooh yea i liked that much better. maybe boost the bottom mids to get the bassline to thump out. pretty darn good. im excited to hear the rest of everyones.

and exo, there is no reason you can't multitrack instruments and do overdubs and stuff. I think doing this will show and will make for a better piece.

#14 uuu

uuu
  • umbiciles
  • 9394 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 01:31 AM

I think what he meant was that pieces for solo instruments shouldn't be allowed, and in a way I agree.

#15 sep

sep
  • umbiciles
  • 2851 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 01:47 AM

yeah i don't know if recording a piece using one instrument would be a challenge as far as using only one timbre goes, i think having at least two layers should be required, just to make it less easy

#16 Ender

Ender

Your Dad

• umbiciles
  • 3242 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 02:25 AM

using only electronic instruments is easier too, should we not allow those either???

The point of this challenge is to strip away the concern for tonal varience to place a higher value on that of composition and arrangement.

If you think you can make an effective piece of music using only one instrument then do that. If you think using more will yield a better piece then go for it. These are creative challenges not technical challenges, difficulty really shouldn't be a factor.

...unless you guys want difficult challenges... i have a bunch of ideas that i threw out because they were just too difficult and how far too stringent requirements.

#17 sep

sep
  • umbiciles
  • 2851 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 03:02 AM

no, fair enough. it's all good.

#18 Taco

Taco
  • umbiciles
  • 1147 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 03:17 AM

Would anyone be interested in putting money in this?

In my fantasy football league everyone put in 20$ at the start of the year and it's caused everyone to pay a shitload of attention to football and really get into it. I've spent like 80 hours reading about and watching football since I joined the league and I think it could have the same effect on these song challenges.

We could vote on an array of like 5 challenges that we all think are most fair and then schedule them accordingly. If we all put in 10$ we could give 1$ from each person to the winner of each week's challenge and then give 80% to the overall winner at the end and 20% to the runner up.

You guys probably don't want to do this at all but I would definitely be up for this.

Money always increases quality.

#19 Abelian

Abelian

Trillionaire

• umbiciles
  • 7252 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 03:40 AM

My gut tells me that's not such a good idea. As soon as anybody would lose any money, commence the bitchin about the subjectivity of music and all that.

#20 Taco

Taco
  • umbiciles
  • 1147 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 03:52 AM

Yeah that's the only thing I could see a problem with. We could try to get 3rd party judges and make anonymous entries or something.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users