Search the forums

Theme Settings

Slate Cloud Plum Berry Lime Orange

Photo

I'm a hack, an idiot, a no-talent, rotten, piece of shit.

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 McGuyver

McGuyver
  • umbiciles
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 08:16 AM

Yeah I'm with Walden, I doubt this guy is actually making/winding his own string sets here. Though his posting does make me want to go out and test a bunch of different string type combos to get a good tension across the board. I just don't really like the idea of spending $50 on strings because you only need one from each pack of six, and I'm skeptic to buy anything from anyone who has a site that looks like it was made in 1995 by a teenager :lol:

#22 Guest_koreasilver_*

Guest_koreasilver_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2009 - 08:52 AM

I'll order 5 sets of the 10 gauge flatwounds with a plain third and report back to you guys. I don't have any strings left in the house and after exams I'm going to be installing new pickups on my tele amongst other things so I need strings anyway. Even if I only buy 5 packs, I'll still end up saving a bit of money compared to buying strings from the local stores since flatwound packs are expensive as hell in the stores around me.

#23 Ender

Ender

Your Dad

• umbiciles
  • 3242 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 10:21 AM

you can buy packages of individual guitar strings.

i bought a bunch of As and high Es, because i seem to break those the most.

but in theory you could figure out what string tensions you want, buy them as packs of 10 individual strings and just buy the strings you need. simple.

#24 McGuyver

McGuyver
  • umbiciles
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 05:54 AM

Do all brands generally allow that Walden? I thought of that right after I posted the above post. I think it may be worth looking into to find a good "custom" set.

Btw wtf is a plain third?

#25 Guest_koreasilver_*

Guest_koreasilver_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2009 - 06:33 AM

Do all brands generally allow that Walden? I thought of that right after I posted the above post. I think it may be worth looking into to find a good "custom" set.

Btw wtf is a plain third?

An unwound "G" string. Basically all flatwound sets have a wound "G" string. I love flatwounds and ever since I bought my first flatwound set I've only ever used flatwounds, but I've always tried to find flatwound sets with an unwound third.

Yeah, I could just figure out the exact gauges that I want for strings and buy sets of individuals, but if this guy's strings are actually good then I'll end up saving money and have some convenience of just having a set packed up.

#26 Ender

Ender

Your Dad

• umbiciles
  • 3242 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 08:13 AM

yes almost all the big companies allow their strings to be bought individually. And depending where you buy them from this can sometimes be a cheaper way to do it.

#27 autodidact

autodidact

SLOTHTRONAUT

• umbiciles
  • 13945 posts
  • Nemesis:light, happiness

Posted 10 December 2009 - 01:36 AM

, space age materials, colored strings, some freeze them and claim to change the molecular composition, and now the craze with condom covered strings and on and on. They are desperate to come up with something new ... The string sets you buy at the store are a bunch of mindless snake oil products with the incorrect tensions.

Hahahaha, this guy is too much. Has anyone ever see any of that highlighted shit, and what the hell is with the second part? I don't see any companies wasting their production money on it.

i spent a few minutes unsuccessfully trying to decode yr sentence, but the freezing/molecular composition thing is a dig at DM Blue Steels ("Cryogenic processing re-aligns the molecular structure to make a more brilliant, longer lasting string", says their site), and the condom thing is a dig at elixirs, i think. and snake oil just means bullshit. which you know. i hope.

#28 Guest_koreasilver_*

Guest_koreasilver_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2009 - 10:06 AM

I ordered 5 sets of flatwounds last night. The shipping was really cheap so as long as these strings are decent I've gotten a pretty decent deal for strings. I'll report here about the strings when they arrive and I'm done with exams.

#29 Ender

Ender

Your Dad

• umbiciles
  • 3242 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 10:58 AM

honestly after my strings have been on for a few days, as long as they arent completely shitty strings and they are the right size it doesnt matter what brand they are. to me at least. acoustic strings is a different thing all together.

guitar strings are reletively cheap though, i went to go buy some violin strings at this violin shop in town and the cheapest strings they had where 100 dollars.

#30 static

static

chiastic slide

• lentic catachresis
  • 17006 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 11:49 AM

think i'll stick with d'addario for now

#31 Guest_koreasilver_*

Guest_koreasilver_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2010 - 08:13 PM

Alright, so I strung up my guitar today with the strings I got. Now, I can't really say much about how the strings actually sound because I put in new pickups which are just on a completely different level from my original MIM tele pickups, but unplugged, the strings sound pretty balanced in how audible they are, and the wound strings, particularly the low e-string, feel tighter, which is a good thing.

The quality of the strings are just normal. In fact, the strings are so similar, maybe even the exact same strings as the d'addario flatwounds that I was using before. I actually think he uses the same strings as d'addario but with different gauge strings ordered the way he wants.

So were they worth it? I guess. If he uses d'addario strings, then I actually got packs of flatwound strings for a lower price, same quality, and an unwound 3rd. Maybe later on I'll find better quality strings and put together my own custom set of strings, but that will definitely cost me more, and I'll have to figure out what gauges I'm supposed to get for each string.

#32 whatever man

whatever man
  • umbiciles
  • 2747 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 03:04 AM

So I finally ordered some strings from this dude, and they arrived today.

I had to modify the locking tuner on my PRS to accept the huge low E string, but that was easy enough with a dremel and a steady hand.

First of all, these strings cost me less per set than if I'd bought them in a guitar shop - so I figured they were worth a try for that reason alone, if no other.

Second... I really, REALLY like the feel of these sets! My PRS stays in a dropped tuning, so I ordered his "Drop D 11" set for it. They are amazing. This is the first time I have used a set specifically designed for a drop tuning, and the extra tension on the low string is incredible. The guitar responds much evenly across the board and it just feels right.

I put the low 6 from a 7 string set (yeah, we tune down to C lol) on my tele and it is also feeling and sounding great.

Given the feel of the strings and their price, I have to say that I am definitely a fan. This dude just got himself a longterm customer. :baconator:

#33 GLG

GLG

Wyckyd Sceptre

• umbiciles
  • 7390 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 10:21 AM

I guess I don't quite pick up on how the tension varies even when using the same string gauge.

Because yes, I could just order each individual gauge in bulk and save money. But what makes the ZOG .046 different from a D'Addario .046? How does the ZOG .013 have more tension than an Ernie Ball .013?

#34 static

static

chiastic slide

• lentic catachresis
  • 17006 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 11:32 AM

recently switched to XL flat wound chromes, gotta say they are working wonderfully

#35 whatever man

whatever man
  • umbiciles
  • 2747 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 01:59 AM

I guess I don't quite pick up on how the tension varies even when using the same string gauge.

Because yes, I could just order each individual gauge in bulk and save money. But what makes the ZOG .046 different from a D'Addario .046? How does the ZOG .013 have more tension than an Ernie Ball .013?

I think you missed the point. The strings themselves are no different to ordinary strings. In fact, I'm quite sure he just bulk purchases the same commercial strings that get sold under other labels (I did once hear that there are basically like three factories that mass produce strings and most of the "big" companies just buy from there and brand them - but i honestly don't know how much truth there is to that). They probably ARE D'Addarios. It's the string sets that are the difference. The packaging doesn't even tell you what gauge strings they are - I guess he wants to keep his secret.

What he's getting at is to get the feel/tension consistent from one string to the next, the lower strings need to be much bigger gauge than in most standard sets. The strings I got from him are like the light top/heavy bottom strings that you would buy from anyone else, except the low strings are even heavier.

So were a standard "10 set" would be .010 .013 .017 .026 .036 .046
A ZOG "10 set" would be something like (guessing here) .010 .014 .020 .034 .042 .052

The drop D set that I got from him has a slightly disproportionate looking low D(E?) string as it is meant to be at a slightly higher tension than the A string... and being tuned that much further down requires a bigger string to achieve this tension. I have never before played a guitar in drop d that felt like this. When playing in drop D I've always had to pull my picking slightly and not been able to lay into the low string like I could the others, without it flabbing out and sounding terrible. This problem is now non-existent on that guitar. The extra tension on the low string really makes it a joy to play, and adds considerable chunk to the tone.

I know it all sounds like something that only an obsessive nut would care about... and if his prices weren't good, I doubt I would have bothered... but after having played the string sets this dude puts together I have to say that I am a convert.

#36 GLG

GLG

Wyckyd Sceptre

• umbiciles
  • 7390 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 08:17 AM

I think you missed the point. The strings themselves are no different to ordinary strings. In fact, I'm quite sure he just bulk purchases the same commercial strings that get sold under other labels (I did once hear that there are basically like three factories that mass produce strings and most of the "big" companies just buy from there and brand them - but i honestly don't know how much truth there is to that). They probably ARE D'Addarios. It's the string sets that are the difference. The packaging doesn't even tell you what gauge strings they are - I guess he wants to keep his secret.

What he's getting at is to get the feel/tension consistent from one string to the next, the lower strings need to be much bigger gauge than in most standard sets. The strings I got from him are like the light top/heavy bottom strings that you would buy from anyone else, except the low strings are even heavier.

So were a standard "10 set" would be .010 .013 .017 .026 .036 .046
A ZOG "10 set" would be something like (guessing here) .010 .014 .020 .034 .042 .052

The drop D set that I got from him has a slightly disproportionate looking low D(E?) string as it is meant to be at a slightly higher tension than the A string... and being tuned that much further down requires a bigger string to achieve this tension. I have never before played a guitar in drop d that felt like this. When playing in drop D I've always had to pull my picking slightly and not been able to lay into the low string like I could the others, without it flabbing out and sounding terrible. This problem is now non-existent on that guitar. The extra tension on the low string really makes it a joy to play, and adds considerable chunk to the tone.

I know it all sounds like something that only an obsessive nut would care about... and if his prices weren't good, I doubt I would have bothered... but after having played the string sets this dude puts together I have to say that I am a convert.

Ah. I was under the impression that he maintained the same gauges. Probably because of how crazily he worded it all. I'm definitely interested in trying some out. And like you said, they're not poorly priced. I'm used to playing 012s, so I may go for the 011 set. Unfortunately, he doesn't have 011s in the extra optimized. But I don't think it'll really matter. My biggest concern is the tone of the unwound G. I've been playing with a wound G for probably 4 years, and I honestly don't much care for the tone of an unwound G. It's not a huge deal, but we'll see.

#37 whatever man

whatever man
  • umbiciles
  • 2747 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 08:48 AM

Just ask him about it - he has more stuff available than what's advertised on the page. I got two packs of a set that's not even listed. :blink: I emailed him before I ordered, describing the tuning we use and asked him what he recommended, and his suggestions are (so far) on the money.

He's a pretty weird guy, but he's cool. He told me he was disappointed that I play a PRS because I sound like a smart guy. I didn't tell him about the Ibanez shred guitar.

:lolser:

#38 GLG

GLG

Wyckyd Sceptre

• umbiciles
  • 7390 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 10:11 AM

Just ask him about it - he has more stuff available than what's advertised on the page. I got two packs of a set that's not even listed. :blink: I emailed him before I ordered, describing the tuning we use and asked him what he recommended, and his suggestions are (so far) on the money.

He's a pretty weird guy, but he's cool. He told me he was disappointed that I play a PRS because I sound like a smart guy. I didn't tell him about the Ibanez shred guitar.

:lolser:

Hahaha.

#39 sep

sep
  • umbiciles
  • 2851 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 11:37 PM

Is this the general guitar strings thread? Thread name should be edited, imo.

I use 0.13 flatwounds I think. I love them, they feel really nice playing (almost like a fretless guitar/bass) and give me the warm, mellow tones I want. They're also relatively hard to bend, something I usually avoid in my playing anyway.

#40 whatever man

whatever man
  • umbiciles
  • 2747 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 03:04 AM

Thread was intended for discussion of Zachary Optimized Gauge strings as per the first post and most of the discussion.

I'm five days in with mine and still loving them. Playing anything that involves skipping from string to string (especially if it includes hammering on) really highlights the benefit of having a consistent feel from one string to the next. Also, I can't really be sure... but I think bar chords are easier to play?

The other guys in my band played my guitars one night last week and were both pretty impressed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users