chiastic slide

• lentic catachresis
  • 17006 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 11:24 AM

i'll delete this thread pretty soon, but i'd like to hear some suggestions

thanks in advance

#2 Cocks 'n' Asses

Cocks 'n' Asses

Cocks 'N' Asses Everybody... Cocks 'N' Asses.

• umbiciles
  • 755 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 11:37 AM

Well it would probably help if you gave us a price range... Ibanez DE7 is probably the better of cheap delays, and also the Boss DD3. They are both digital delays. There are a shiteload of delays out there. Let us know the max you are willing to spend, and i'll give you my recommendations.

#3 Ender

Ender

Your Dad

• umbiciles
  • 3242 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 12:21 PM

ive been thinking about having my memory man modded for tap tempo.

im a big fan of certain memory mans, some are good some arent.
true analog delays are expensive as hell. Digital should be more than enough for anyone in a live setting.

#4 autodidact

autodidact

SLOTHTRONAUT

• umbiciles
  • 13945 posts
  • Nemesis:light, happiness

Posted 14 October 2009 - 12:53 PM

well that's fucking vague.
i love my dd20.

#5 Cocks 'n' Asses

Cocks 'n' Asses

• umbiciles
  • 755 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 01:45 PM

Not all analog delays are expensive. Or at least ridiculously overpriced. The new EHX Memory Boy and Memory Toy are really cheap, imo. I think the new Memory Boy sounds pretty awesome. And there is also the MXR Carbon Copy (another fairly cheap analog delay). Malekko are bringing out the 919 analog delay soon. It has modulation, and tap tempo and is about $275US (i really want this!). And if tap tempo is something you are not fussed about, they also have the 616 which is fairly cheaper (still analog). The DD20's delays are alright, and it has a looping feature aswell. Fairly good value. Same with the Boss DD7 that i own. I'm not big on its delays and i only really use the analog sim, reverse, and 40 second loop feature. But for that i think it's quite good. The other delays settings on it are too bright. I also have an EHX Deluxe Memory Man which i think is absolutely awesome. Probably my favourite pedal i own. I love warm delay and the degradation of the notes much more than digital delays, even though there are some pretty decent analog delay simulators. Also have a Boss DD3 which has been on my board for years and years now. It's decent for the price. I never use the effect on it's own though. Only as a second delay to my EHX DMM. But for that it's good because the trails are still warm from it running after the EHX DMM in my chain. The EHX Stereo Memory Man w/ Hazarai seems to quite a good digital delay that is really good for noise making. Has quite a few settings available and looper function aswell. There is the Line6 DL4, which i did once own. It is a delay modeller, though i didn't really like the delays. The looper function on it is brilliant though. Also incredibly unreliable and not really worth it overall, imo.

If you're just starting out and not looking to spend alot of money and get a ton of features, then the Ibanez DE7 is probably the way to go. Boss DD3 right behind that. If you are wanting to spend more and have certain features in mind then just let us know. It's a big market out there.

#6 whatever man

whatever man
  • umbiciles
  • 2747 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 02:48 PM

As far as digital delays go - Ibanez DE7 and Danelectro Danecho are two nice sounding simple, low cost delays. Boss DD20 has tons of features, 4 memory presets, a tone knob, tap tempo and a basic looper. Digitech Digidelay is also pretty cool, but the switches are renowned for being a bit dodgy. I don't know a damn thing about analog delays so I won't even go there.

Are you gonna give us something more to work with? It would be much easier to recommend something if you told us what you were looking for.

#7 static

static

chiastic slide

• lentic catachresis
  • 17006 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 09:55 PM

yeah sorry about that... as far as price goes, i can't bring myself to spend over, say, $150 for any pedal (except my ring mod... lol)

i don't really want anything digital because it generally sounds like shit imo, so if there's a reasonably priced analog out there, i'd take that. i'm not completely closed to digital suggestions, though.

#8 Cocks 'n' Asses

Cocks 'n' Asses

• umbiciles
  • 755 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 10:16 PM

EHX Memory Boy - $98 Memory Boy

I definately wouldn't say that anything digital generally sounds like shit. Perhaps to your ears, but there are some awesome digital delays out there. But as for analog under $150, the Memory Boy seems like a pretty damn good option. You could even afford an expression pedal with the left over money.

EDIT: Oh, and there's the Malekko 616 aswell, which looks awesome! $149 Malekko 616

I'd be torn between the two.

#9 Cocks 'n' Asses

Cocks 'n' Asses

• umbiciles
  • 755 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 10:26 PM

Actually, i'd personally go for the 616.

#10 static

static

chiastic slide

• lentic catachresis
  • 17006 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 12:23 AM

ok well i just bought the memory boy.... thanks for that recommendation

was gonna go for the more expensive one but i had to replace my phase 90

#11 Ender

Ender

Your Dad

• umbiciles
  • 3242 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 12:46 AM

memory boy is great.

#12 sep

sep
  • umbiciles
  • 2851 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 02:31 AM

can someone explain the difference between analog and digital here

#13 Ender

Ender

Your Dad

• umbiciles
  • 3242 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 02:48 AM

analog delays are either based on tape, tube, or solidstate technology.

digital delays are produced from a microchip.

most common these days is the solidstate bucketbrigade type of analog delay. such as the memory mans, mxr carbon copy and a few other ones, these are not as flexible as the digital delays but often yield a superior tone, and to my ears sound more musical. tape and tube echo units are usually extremely big and bulky and are extremely rare, or reissued for a very high price. Usually very faulty as well.

digital delays usually emulate these other types of delays, and sometimes have their own effects.

i would never given the option use a digital delay or delay vst(other than fattening a signal, or you want a strictly digital sound) for studio use, they don't sound nearly as nice, on record. In a live setting digital delays are fine and work great.

in short, analog comes from circuitry and digital comes from a microchip.

#14 trans anus express

trans anus express

Word Creator. Period Enthusiast. Man. Mom.

• umbiciles
  • 6023 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 02:54 AM

i dk if it's any good but i've been meaning to get this:

http://guitars.music...edal?sku=153058

not only do i need a new delay, but i really want a looper so i can play with myself

#15 static

static

chiastic slide

• lentic catachresis
  • 17006 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 03:36 AM

i really want a looper pedal as well, but they're goddamn expensive

#16 autodidact

autodidact

SLOTHTRONAUT

• umbiciles
  • 13945 posts
  • Nemesis:light, happiness

Posted 15 October 2009 - 03:46 AM

eh, i got my rc20xl off ebay for under $150.

#17 Ender

Ender

Your Dad

• umbiciles
  • 3242 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 05:50 AM

thanks for clearing that up mammal.

so now i am left wondering. what constitutes one as analog and one as digital.

other than sound and suppressing clock noise etc.

when would a circuit board begin to be described as digital.

#18 Ender

Ender

Your Dad

• umbiciles
  • 3242 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 06:07 AM

oh right. thanks for clearing that up.

so would a lo-fi delay on my digital delay unit still count as analog then?

lo fi is so raven.

#19 Ender

Ender

Your Dad

• umbiciles
  • 3242 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 06:19 AM

oh right of course. minus the bear has them, they must be raven. DUH!

#20 Ender

Ender

Your Dad

• umbiciles
  • 3242 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 06:20 AM

A bucket-brigade analog delay can, technically, be viewed as a half digital, half analog device.

A digital delay digitizes (bits) the delay signal, in an analog delay, the signal remains analog (voltage). That is the main distinction. Both use forms of memory, though rudimentary in the case of analog, to create delay.

that clears up a lot of things for me. thanks deer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users