Photo

DRONE BRO

• Please log in to reply
239 replies to this topic

#41 Guest_'chillwave'_*

Guest_'chillwave'_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2009 - 02:46 PM

I'm probably biased but these bands seem like they took some method and style from Black dice and tried to smooth it out, taking some wall of sound and feedback techniques from Fennesz and Tim Hecker
I would consider something like "Allegory of Allergies" drone but all the newer emeralds is too experimental and distant from the basis of what drone should be

Drone, to me, is swells and waves.

i've always kinda felt that the lighter less trebbly~ and more atmospheric hums was just the other side to the texturally abrasive 'blackdice'+feedback/walls of sound. never really seperated them when it came to the genre. c where ur comin from

#42 Ratking

Ratking

We go S - T - U - P - I - D.

• umbiciles
  • 1195 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 06:49 PM

i'm currently listening to Solar Bridge & i'm digging the hell out of it, this is next:

Posted Image

Emeralds

Yeah, Solar Bridge is definitely dope, I have fallen asleep to that many of time as of late.

this thread gives me a headache
most of the artists on here aren't drone
most of them would fit better in the ambient thread
some of them (like emeralds, growing, and a lot on ratkings list) I wouldn't consider ambient or drone in general
drone also DOES consider bands like boris and instrumental drone
and if I made a giant list of artists I love no one would truly care
I think I just quit mumblings

I've never heard eternal tapestry
Robedoor, kinda like growing and emeralds, certainly has stuff I would consider drone (their split with Pocohaunted comes to mind)
Most of the stuff around like that reminds me more of noise than anything.
I have a pretty strict definition of drone though
and I definitely don't consider Fennesz or Tim Hecker drone

I guess that's the thing, for me there's lots of "noise" that I would say is drone, and lots of drone I would call "noise." Although, I feel my definition is fairly strict as well here. There is just this certain aesthetic I look for, that many of those have and share. If you wanna be super picky in this situation though (as it seems you are) then I guess My Cat Is An Alien, Daniel Menche, and Bee Mask are really the only ones I listed that are "truly" drone. And then maybe not even Bee Mask and My Cat Is An Alien (except in the case of one of the splits with Steven R. Smith's group Thuja).

I also strongly disagree with the Black Dice statement, regarding all these other artists (and noise in general) that's almost like calling them "the kings of noise" which despite the fact that I like Beaches and Canyons, I find that borderline offensive. I think they are strongly overrated, not as innovative as people might think (just happened to gain popularity for some outrageous reason). But I guess the statement above "I think." Really says it all. That is precisely all it is. Just what I think. I guess if you made a list of artists you love, I (being no one) might not truly care. But that'd be just what I think.

P.S. Not trying to be a dick. I probably would actually like a lot of them. You like hella good shit, I am just sayin' what I think. Also, nice to see you posting. I don't read or post much, so I have yet to see such from you, but it's good you're back!

#43 Vairiant

Vairiant

I like my pockets fat not flat

• umbiciles
  • 9543 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 01:51 AM

would rec echoes of yul from my page

not strictly drone but ppl in this threat would probably enjoy

#44 Siddhis

Siddhis

ALL ROBOTS

• umbiciles
  • 1181 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 03:47 AM

this thread gives me a headache
most of the artists on here aren't drone
most of them would fit better in the ambient thread
some of them (like emeralds, growing, and a lot on ratkings list) I wouldn't consider ambient or drone in general
drone also DOES consider bands like boris and instrumental drone
and if I made a giant list of artists I love no one would truly care
I think I just quit mumblings

PLEASE upload something that you do consider drone, if this thread is missing the mark so much I'd love to be educated. (make a 'best of' list though, a large one would be intimidating, i mostly ignored ratking's list for that reason) 80% of the ambient on my computer is shit i've cherry-picked from your blog, so i'd wholly admit how much of an amateur i am in this whole realm of music. i rely on threads like this to school me

what would you consider robedoor and eternal tapestry? i'm really curious.

that Eternal Tapestry you posted was def not drone. the production was absolute shit too.
this thread seems to be leaning towards drone that's rooted in the Noise scene. Super limited cassette releases and shit production drive me up the wall. i'd love it if someone pointed me towards bands/act that have great production and albums that aren't handmade CDrs/cassettes

#45 ron

ron

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( ͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜

• otter madness
  • 13629 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 04:17 AM

herod should come into this thread to say none of these bands are drone

#46 Amrk.

Amrk.

The Fool

• umbiciles
  • 3942 posts
  • Interests:Meanwhile.

Posted 11 October 2009 - 04:21 AM

shorty should come into this thread and act like a b1tch

#47 ghost

ghost
  • sweater kid
  • 7421 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 04:35 AM

It's the same thing as me going into a metal thread and recommending hardcore to tizzy
I listen to the stuff every once in a while but I'm not gong to have a bunch of artists that he's going to enjoy and hasn't heard of before
It's my favorite genre so my elitism is coming out

#48 Tamas

Tamas

It's the neeeewwwww

• umbiciles
  • 4507 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 04:49 AM

I listened to Axolotl and it felt like the music was everywhere so thats what drone is to me

kthxbai

#49 Abelian

Abelian

Trillionaire

• umbiciles
  • 7252 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 04:52 AM

I don't much about the genre, but here are a few artists I would consider drone:

Steve Roach
William Basinski
Charlemagne Palestine
Vidna Obmana
Deepspace
Celer
Boris
Sunn O)))
La Monte Young

edit: Axolotl kinda

#50 ghost

ghost
  • sweater kid
  • 7421 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 05:02 AM

Vidna Obmana

hell yeah

#51 Abelian

Abelian

Trillionaire

• umbiciles
  • 7252 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 05:03 AM

I'm on the lookout for more of his stuff by the way.. I'm pretty sure you have loads so if you could hook up a couple of your favorites it'd be awesome.

#52 sep

sep
  • umbiciles
  • 2851 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 05:13 AM

I'm with shorty, I don't associate things like Fennesz and Tim Hecker with drone music. While ambient music can use drones I find that drone music focuses more on minimalism and drawn-out drifting tones. I think. That's what I pick up from comparing Celer's Capri with something like Ocean Fire or Black Sea, both of which use drones but are a lot more textured and dynamic.

anyway, I second abelian's request.

#53 Guest_'chillwave'_*

Guest_'chillwave'_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2009 - 01:55 PM

i'm going to go out on a limb and say that ratking is the resident drone head here. his list is legit.

#54 Ratking

Ratking

We go S - T - U - P - I - D.

• umbiciles
  • 1195 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 05:43 PM

that Eternal Tapestry you posted was def not drone. the production was absolute shit too.
this thread seems to be leaning towards drone that's rooted in the Noise scene. Super limited cassette releases and shit production drive me up the wall. i'd love it if someone pointed me towards bands/act that have great production and albums that aren't handmade CDrs/cassettes

You're interested in the wrong genre then. I mean, it isn't all terrible production wise, but like 90% of it is not the greatest of production quality.

Go listen to Daniel Menche, on the reals yo, if you want "real drone" with fairly decent "production quality," I guess

#55 Sonson

Sonson

Im covered in BEEEESS

• umbiciles
  • 5736 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 06:14 PM

Guys, I think we can all pretty much agree that Radiohead is da dronez

#56 Siddhis

Siddhis

ALL ROBOTS

• umbiciles
  • 1181 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 01:52 AM

ever since this thread i've really been getting into Emeralds.

Allegory of Allergies is what most people agree is some modern masterpiece.
it's tits.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/8s5p0q

(the file is huge b/c it's 320 kbps and almost two hrs long)

#57 stray dreams

stray dreams

the genie head has power in the tower of dreams

• ∞Δ∇Δ∞
  • 5684 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 02:14 AM

ever since this thread i've really been getting into Emeralds.

Allegory of Allergies is what most people agree is some modern masterpiece.
it's tits.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/8s5p0q

(the file is huge b/c it's 320 kbps and almost two hrs long)

yeah dude Emeralds are the shit. download the album What Happened. The song "Living Room" is beautiful

#58 Siddhis

Siddhis

ALL ROBOTS

• umbiciles
  • 1181 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 04:08 AM

yeah dude Emeralds are the shit. download the album What Happened. The song "Living Room" is beautiful

already did that.
seriously, i've even ordered a copy of Solar Bridge, which i'm waiting for in the mail, and i'm waiting for them to release Emeralds on CD, which they should soon. They said it "will be out by the time the snow is falling" (I hate it when bands are ambiguous like that)

#59 stray dreams

stray dreams

the genie head has power in the tower of dreams

• ∞Δ∇Δ∞
  • 5684 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 04:11 AM

haha word

wish i had enough money to buy music all the time like that haha

#60 RADIO FREE METSOULTH

RADIO FREE METSOULTH

SADASSA SYLVIA

• umbiciles