Your band-thread

• Please log in to reply
1677 replies to this topic

#1 Glenn

Glenn
  • umbiciles
  • 284 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 10:26 PM

This thread might be pointless, but I'll give it a try. Just tell us what's up with your band right now, or if you had a terrible rehearsal or an extremely badass tight one.

Currently rehearing more than ever. Might have found a bassplayer as well, he lives in Gothenburg though but he's moving too Stockholm in September. Gonna try go book a show or two, with or without bassplayer, just too actually get some where!

#2 bloop

bloop
  • umbiciles
  • 11214 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 10:40 PM

currently my band is taking a break, but we'll be rehearsing again soon I think

as for my solo project I have a new song coming uppp

#3 pavement_

pavement_

if they're our brothers, why can't we eat them?

• umbiciles
  • 364 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 11:13 PM

we went through a wave of firings
rather, i fired everyone that couldn't follow the TWO BASIC RULES WE ALL AGREED ON
1) don't show up high. do that afterwards. otherwise, practice is spent getting high and nothing is accomplished.
2) don't bring your girlfriend
we all were fine with this until one guitar player shows up clearly baked, with his lady. out you go.

now we have two drummers, the other being one i haven't met, and some operatically trained woman who wants to sing for us

#4 exo

exo

Rich Kids don't go rogue

• umbiciles
  • 6761 posts
  • Interests:Women and money.

Posted 11 May 2009 - 11:19 PM

Not entirely sure.

I have some new record coming but I'm too lazy to master it so it's just sitting on my computer. As far as Myr goes, I've been working on an epic track for the past six months. Want to write it before I record it, as I normally do both at the same time.

#5 whalephanthouse

whalephanthouse

Galactonaut

• umbiciles
  • 1352 posts
  • Interests:i fucking drum and do other things too.

Posted 11 May 2009 - 11:58 PM

makin new songs, recording at the end of the month, putting out a split with "daytes", getting new shirts printed, saving for east coast winter tour, circuit bending.

#6 nice

nice

Electric Wizard

• fenomeno
  • 9547 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 12:43 AM

currently looking for some people to play with

#7 tornahdo

tornahdo
  • umbiciles
  • 341 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 01:27 AM

makin new songs, recording at the end of the month, putting out a split with "daytes", getting new shirts printed, saving for east coast winter tour, circuit bending.

daytes? sarah and octopus?

#8 moac

moac
  • umbiciles
  • 6150 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 02:02 AM

after trying to play with so many people in this town, i'm going to go buy a new guitar amp, a mixer and probably another 58 and start to record my own shit. i feel like i have a lot of ideas i can't express to people.

#9 sweetheart

sweetheart
  • umbiciles
  • 1764 posts
  • Nemesis:TLDR

Posted 12 May 2009 - 02:07 AM

i wrote about 10 songs while away at school and now finally goin home to get shit rolling with my band. might need a new drummer though, need someone committed as the rest of us. other than that it should be a great summer. we'll hopefully start playing out in brooklyn and shit.

#10 bloop

bloop
  • umbiciles
  • 11214 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 02:08 AM

after trying to play with so many people in this town, i'm going to go buy a new guitar amp, a mixer and probably another 58 and start to record my own shit. i feel like i have a lot of ideas i can't express to people.

it's definitely refreshing to have your own solo project

#11 POTEM

POTEM
  • umbiciles
  • 236 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 02:15 AM

My band just finished recording a 15 minute ep at the art institute in Vancouver, its just gotta be mastered now. Right now were just tightening up and finishing off a few more songs and were gonna be playing a bunch of shows in June, including a few payed gigs which is pretty cool for me because I've never been payed for playing, mainly because I'm not old enough to play bars yet. One of the bands we're hopefully gonna play with is opening for Portugal. The Man just a few weeks earlier so I have high hopes for a decent turn out at that one. Then after we a play a bunch of shows and whore out our ep as much as we can were taking a 5 month break because I'm going to Europe for two months and right when I get back our bass player is going to Australia for three months.

#12 Abelian

Abelian

Trillionaire

• umbiciles
  • 7252 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 05:29 AM

Wobble's playing their first gig this Saturday, and should be recording new stuff this summer.

#13 bloop

bloop
  • umbiciles
  • 11214 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 05:37 AM

hell yeah

#14 Tamas

Tamas

It's the neeeewwwww

• umbiciles
  • 4507 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 05:55 AM

Want to start like a 10 person hardcore/composed metal band.

Till then, its just me and my drummer as usual.

#15 Vairiant

Vairiant

I like my pockets fat not flat

• umbiciles
  • 9543 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 06:09 AM

My band's singer/bassist unexpectedly (like, a weeks notice) had to move back to his hometown in florida in the height of the stock market crash due to his dad's business. It was a three piece band, so we're in a weird spot. Me and my drummer did a gig by ourselves where I played loop covers with him keeping rhythm, and some original songs acoustically. And I'm playing a looping gig friday by myself. I love playing in a full band with a big, orchestrated sound...we need members to get things up and running again.

same, more or less.

right now we're a four-piece -- two of us living 3 hours away from the other 2 members

I'm optimistic that we'll get time to round-out our sound and demo/record some songs, but the distance issue really sucks. We'd just look for a new bass player/drummer, but both are pretty irreplaceable (brother is our drummer, and the most talented of us).

my goal is to have/record 1-2 songs by the end of the summer, think it can be done.

#16 exo

exo

Rich Kids don't go rogue

• umbiciles
  • 6761 posts
  • Interests:Women and money.

Posted 12 May 2009 - 07:43 PM

This is what demos are for. Make some mockups of the basic structure, rythm, and be as detailed as you can if you have that ready. Program drums if you have to, just make sure you communicate your ideas in a musical way that the rest of the band can understand. It's not easy to play the drum parts you want if you beatbox them, or riff along.

#17 Frodonator

Frodonator

MENTLEGEN

• umbiciles
  • 3556 posts
  • Interests:Gentlemening in public places.

Posted 12 May 2009 - 08:55 PM

Gentlemen (With fellow umbians go to bed Jessica and Clock Strikes At The Heart) looks like it will start gigging fairly soon, we just need to get some more solid rehearsals in.

My other band has just had a major setback, with our bass player being in hospital for six weeks straight now, with no sign of coming out any time soon, but I may have found someone to replace him, which could work out really well.

And as for my own shit, I get distracted too easily to finish a recording off :/

#18 BlindBlindBlind

BlindBlindBlind
  • umbiciles
  • 193 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 10:11 PM

Im in a new band, we're just writing songs, waiting for our course deadline to pass, then planning to record some tracks and get gigs.
We intend to try out a few different style ideas aswell, as atm we're sort of anti-folk, acoustic, mellow music, and we really want to throw some noisey rock, electronic danceable music into it. See how it goes i guess.

#19 whalephanthouse

whalephanthouse

Galactonaut

• umbiciles
  • 1352 posts
  • Interests:i fucking drum and do other things too.

Posted 12 May 2009 - 11:02 PM

yes sir.

#20 tornahdo

tornahdo
  • umbiciles
  • 341 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 01:25 AM

yes sir.

what band are you in and what do you play (if you don't mind me asking)?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users