Devin Townsend

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 whatever man

whatever man
  • umbiciles
  • 2747 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:07 PM

Can't believe that this guy hasn't rated a mention (beside having done some remixes for some band) in this whole forum.

Dude is a crazy canadian genius who got his start performing vocals for Steve Vai (lol) and has gone on to create some awesome albums. Strapping Young Lad are pretty heavy, at times industrial sounding metal. Ocean Machine has some really chill moments and gets a bit prog-ish at times. Infinity is a headphone mindfuck. Ziltoid The Omniscient is a sci-fi comedy concept record that DT played everything on. All are pretty crazy.

I've had Infinity for years after hearing a track on the radio one night and being floored by it's almost impenetrable wall of sound. It's a really intense, and at times creepy album. Devin is also a producer and definitely not shy of using a bunch of tracks to get what he wants to hear.

I am told that City is the definitive SYL album - I'm listening to it for the first time right now and enjoying it. Infinity, Ziltoid and Ocean Machine albums are all worth checking out too.

I just found a link for Ziltoid The Omniscient - check it out if you like crazy metal with a sense of humour (sorry, it's neither grimm nor kvlt). It's a pretty cool album and fairly representative of all aspects of the man's work.

#2 Guest_panopticonpeter _*

Guest_panopticonpeter _*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:21 PM

saw a video of Strapping Young Lad's and wanted to check them out.
now i can.
lol.

wtf

#3 Noir.

Noir.

w23wer

• umbiciles
  • 639 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:39 PM

I fucking love Devin and all his projects. Ki leaked, I haven't heard it yet. This thread just reminded me to find it.

#4 Count Grishnackh

Count Grishnackh

ist krieg

• umbiciles
  • 366 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 11:33 PM

city is so awesome

get this

Posted Image

#5 Meccaroy

Meccaroy

sdrawkcab sdaerht daer I

• umbiciles
  • 3788 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 10:10 AM

Devin is fucking awesome:

Link to new album Ki

http://rapidshare.co...98/DTP.rar.html

GTBJ: i did talk on The Knitting Circle about Ziltoid and i really love that album as you said explores all sides of his music.

D/Ling Ki right now so excited to hear some new material from him. i believe this album is rather soft

#6 heyitsthatguy

heyitsthatguy
  • umbiciles
  • 543 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 10:18 AM

waiting for Ki on CD, no idea why
City is fucking awesome, though I think my favorite album by him is Terria

#7 Drunken

Drunken

Fading Fast

• The One & Only
  • 13327 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 10:43 AM

DARKEST HOUR

#8 Meccaroy

Meccaroy

sdrawkcab sdaerht daer I

• umbiciles
  • 3788 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 11:33 AM

Listening to Ki right now and i have to say this is pretty solid album.

#9 Evolutionary Sleeper

Evolutionary Sleeper
  • umbiciles
  • 67 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 01:03 PM

I'm not a big fan of his solo stuff, but I love Ki.

SYL are awesome.

#10 Meccaroy

Meccaroy

sdrawkcab sdaerht daer I

• umbiciles
  • 3788 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 01:30 PM

Finished Ki and it's fucking great.

#11 POTEM

POTEM
  • umbiciles
  • 236 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 02:30 PM

Ya he's awesome. He's harsh the only real good local metal guy us B.C. kids have to look up to. Word has it that him and Gene Hoglan sometimes hang out at the Cobalt in Vancouver, which is this really greasy ass metal bar, but I've never seen either of them there, neither has anyone I know, even though i have friends who play there almost every second week.

#12 whatever man

whatever man
  • umbiciles
  • 2747 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 08:45 PM

Link to new album Ki

GTBJ: i did talk on The Knitting Circle about Ziltoid and i really love that album as you said explores all sides of his music.

D/Ling Ki right now so excited to hear some new material from him. i believe this album is rather soft

Ooh - thanks man! I'm downloading this right now. Looking forward to hearing it - I'm really getting right back into DT's stuff at the moment. Infinity has been a long time favourite, but I don't think I've heard anything by him that I have disliked. I really enjoy the softer stuff - I like his sense of melody and he always seems to find a way to make things sound... well... freaky.

#13 Meccaroy

Meccaroy

sdrawkcab sdaerht daer I

• umbiciles
  • 3788 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 05:41 AM

Link to new album Ki

Ooh - thanks man! I'm downloading this right now. Looking forward to hearing it - I'm really getting right back into DT's stuff at the moment. Infinity has been a long time favourite, but I don't think I've heard anything by him that I have disliked. I really enjoy the softer stuff - I like his sense of melody and he always seems to find a way to make things sound... well... freaky.

You're going to fucking love this album then.

I have not heard much of his solo material apart from Ziltoid, Synchestra ( which if you have not heard you should.... amazing) I still cant get over how good his vocal range is. It really floors me everytime. Do you have a link for infinity? I saw on his myspace some other ambient albums he has done, Devlab & Hummer. Really want to find them and have a listen.

EDIT: Dev Discography

#14 whatever man

whatever man
  • umbiciles
  • 2747 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 09:43 AM

I have Infinity on CD, so if that discography link has it at a crappy bitrate, I'd be happy to rip and upload for you at whatever bitrate you like. It's an amazing album, and best heard on headphones - I think a poor rip would really kill some of the subtlety on it.

Listened to a bit of Ki last night and really enjoyed it. Need to hear it on good speakers or cans for a proper listen. I'll check out Synchestra too.

#15 Meccaroy

Meccaroy

sdrawkcab sdaerht daer I

• umbiciles
  • 3788 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 09:48 AM

I have Infinity on CD, so if that discography link has it at a crappy bitrate, I'd be happy to rip and upload for you at whatever bitrate you like. It's an amazing album, and best heard on headphones - I think a poor rip would really kill some of the subtlety on it.

Listened to a bit of Ki last night and really enjoyed it. Need to hear it on good speakers or cans for a proper listen. I'll check out Synchestra too.

Yeah i am in the middle of grabbing it now.

I grabbed Devlab and Hummer first cos i was intrigued...... Dev lab is in comparison to Omar and Jeremay ward album........that is all.

Hummer on the other hand is a nice ambient album.

Looking forward to hearing infinity.

#16 Drunken

Drunken

Fading Fast

• The One & Only
  • 13327 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 10:00 AM

DARKESTHOURDARKESHOURDARKESTHOUR

#17 Meccaroy

Meccaroy

sdrawkcab sdaerht daer I

• umbiciles
  • 3788 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 10:24 AM

DARKESTHOURDARKESHOURDARKESTHOUR

link me bitch face

#18 Evolutionary Sleeper

Evolutionary Sleeper
  • umbiciles
  • 67 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 01:20 PM

I really like the production on Ki.

#19 Meccaroy

Meccaroy

sdrawkcab sdaerht daer I

• umbiciles
  • 3788 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 01:49 PM

K so after listening to this album allot scince grabbing it i believe this to be one if not the best release Dev has put out.

Production is fucking A, Music is great. flow of the album is a great ride. Love it.

Also Jessica can you up Infinity in a 320 rip. the one i got was balls sounded awesome but rip was balls

#20 whatever man

whatever man
  • umbiciles
  • 2747 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 09:23 PM

Just went looking for the CD and it must be out in the car - I will do this in the next couple of days. Will post the link in this thread for others to check out too - it's a great album. Completely crazy and unlike anything else I've ever heard, but a great album.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users