• Please log in to reply
330 replies to this topic

#21 GLG

GLG

Wyckyd Sceptre

• umbiciles
  • 7390 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:25 AM

The V4 fills in the same niche as the Twin Reverb, and the Showman Head was like $700 more expensive, so the choice was kinda obvious for me.

Neither of my Showmans even cost me $700 TOTAL. Cabs included, I got everything for $1600. I don't know anything about the specific Showman you had seen (what year, condition, etc.), but that sounds ridiculously overpriced.

#22 Guest_koreasilver_*

Guest_koreasilver_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:27 AM

Wait, you got two Showman heads AND two cabs for $1600?

WHAT THE FUCK?

Oh, and this was two and a half years ago in Canadian dollars, so it's more of something like $600 American in that day or something? But still, where the hell did you find a deal like that?

#23 ???

???
  • umbiciles
  • 3695 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:27 AM

i got really lucky with my twin, i got it for like 400 from my dads coworker who found it in his attic and didnt even play guitar

#24 GLG

GLG

Wyckyd Sceptre

• umbiciles
  • 7390 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:33 AM

i got really lucky with my twin, i got it for like 400 from my dads coworker who found it in his attic and didnt even play guitar

Nice. My Fender Twin Reverb Reissue was only $500. I found it on the Harmony Central Ads from a guy who got it as a graduation gift and took up bass a month later. Play time < month.

When I decided to move on to try out different things, I sold it for $600.

PROFIT.

#25 Guest_koreasilver_*

Guest_koreasilver_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:34 AM

That's a pretty awesome deal.

#26 GLG

GLG

Wyckyd Sceptre

• umbiciles
  • 7390 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:39 AM

Wait, you got two Showman heads AND two cabs for $1600?

WHAT THE FUCK?

Oh, and this was two and a half years ago in Canadian dollars, so it's more of something like $600 American in that day or something? But still, where the hell did you find a deal like that?

I bought them at separate times.

The first one I bought last year. It was both the head and the matching 1x15 cab. They were both in pretty damn good shape, but they apparently weren't moving, so the tag was $900.

I bought the 2x12 next. It has the Drip-Edge as well, but the grille clothe has a gash in it and the speakers weren't originally, so I paid about $175 for it no tax.

I just recently bought the head. It looks more beat up than my other one, but it belonged to the amp tech of the store from which I bought it, and I know he took care of it. It was marked originally at $750, but they had it on sale for $600, and I talked them down to about $550.

So, all in all, closer to $1700. But still, "WHAT THE FUCK" is fitting. I still can't believe it myself.

However, I've had to put about $400 into new speakers for everything (poor wiring and mismatched impedance caused them to blow).

And even still, $2000 for a stereo rig of two vintage amps... I can't complain.

#27 Guest_koreasilver_*

Guest_koreasilver_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:41 AM

What speakers did you get for your 2x12 cab? I'm trying to figure out what I should put into mine, so I've been asking around a bit for the past few months.

#28 GLG

GLG

Wyckyd Sceptre

• umbiciles
  • 7390 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:50 AM

What speakers did you get for your 2x12 cab? I'm trying to figure out what I should put into mine, so I've been asking around a bit for the past few months.

I ended up going with Weber's California speakers. One AlNiCo and one Ceramic.

It was between those and getting two NeoMag speakers, which use a stronger magnet, so they're noticeably lighter. They're supposed to sound like the AlNiCo speakers. If you want to mix AlNiCo and ceramic, the price is about the same as two NeoMags.

His speakers are GREAT. I know several boutique amp makers who use his stuff, and I know several other musicians that have amps with his speakers in them. Haven't heard a bad thing.

#29 eulogy

eulogy

Disco Flight

• umbiciles
  • 382 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 07:06 AM

My main amp is a 1971 Traynor YBA-3 Custom Special 130 watt head, into a no name 2x12 cabinet. I play open back cabs.
My at-home practice amp is a 1978 Marshall Powercell. It is a 100 watt combo with a single Celestion speaker. Killer amp. I love it.

Recently, I acquired a Traynor 2x15 cabinet at a used store near my home for 125$. The serial number dates back to 1966. The speakers are original and in great shape.

And finally, my most recent purchase was a 1971 Traynor VVM-3 Voicemate SS PA/Guitar Amp. it's a weird motherfucker. 4 inputs with individual volume controls, a master volume, treble and bass, and reverb settings for each input. Alas, it's lacking a reverb tank, I might get one in the future.

However, it is an 8 ohm amp, and I only have 4 ohm cabs. I need to get a new cab :]

#30 nice

nice

Electric Wizard

• fenomeno
  • 9547 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 09:00 AM

I would LOVE to get and Ampeg V4. It seems like it would be a great contrast to my Blues Jr.

Someday I will find one

#31 Ender

Ender

Your Dad

• umbiciles
  • 3242 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 11:07 AM

im happy with my blues jr. i do wish it got a little bit louder clean. I might do some mods on it so its not so hot.

#32 Kurt Russell

Kurt Russell
  • umbiciles
  • 188 posts
  • Interests:Books. Movies. Music (making/listening). Working at the hospital.

Posted 14 April 2009 - 12:54 PM

i really really want an Orange stack

Posted Image

yeaaaaaaahhhh

In a few days I will have the head thats on the very top of that stack, but only one 4x12....thats little overkill imo. BTW that pic is actually on my desktop now.

#33 hellecaster

hellecaster
  • umbiciles
  • 661 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:13 PM

Nice. My Fender Twin Reverb Reissue was only $500. I found it on the Harmony Central Ads from a guy who got it as a graduation gift and took up bass a month later. Play time < month.

When I decided to move on to try out different things, I sold it for $600.

PROFIT.

my deluxe reverb was only $250 i am soo lucky on that one

#34 whatever man

whatever man
  • umbiciles
  • 2747 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:33 PM

My Orange is back up and running! The problem was a melted plastic connector for the heater wiring circuit. The cool amp repair dude replaced all of them with solder contacts and installed a small fan just behind the tubes to stop the air around them heating up and just sitting there - which it most definitely does, due to the case design.

Hopefully my amp will now run a bit cooler and it won't hurt to turn it off (no joke) and it won't have any more problems with stuff melting inside it (has happened before).

Can't wait to crank the shit out of it tonight with my new pickups! :D

#35 Cocks 'n' Asses

Cocks 'n' Asses

Cocks 'N' Asses Everybody... Cocks 'N' Asses.

• umbiciles
  • 755 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:42 PM

I spent $3500aud on my amp about 5 years ago. Bought it off my guitar teacher. He bought two of these from Melbourne, one for himself, one to sell. Each one is custom (aesthetically), so they cost just over $5000aud brand new for both the head and cab. My teacher began selling one of the amps to a student of his, and after the dude had paid $1000aud he dissapeared and my guitar teacher never heard from him. The dude didn't actually have the amp, and it never got used apart from maybe the odd test run here and there. So i was offered it for the $3500aud, $1000aud off because the guy had already payed that (then dissapeared), then another $500-700aud off because it couldn't be considered brand new. And seeing as a month prior to that i was given a whole lot too much money, i jumped on the offer immediately! The head alone costs more than what i payed for the whole thing, and it was all in BRAND NEW condition. So it was a big score for me. I fuckin' love the hell out of my amp! When it's cranked it sounds rediculously awesome!

As for other amps i'd like to have, i would have to say anything from Bad Cat and Matchless. I wouldn't be complaining with either of those...

#36 tornahdo

tornahdo
  • umbiciles
  • 341 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 03:22 AM

just got a sovtek mig 50 model 001 head and a beat up marshall 1960B cab w/ 75 watt speakers! sounds like a dream... now i've gotta find a 2X12 cab to practice with.

#37 GLG

GLG

Wyckyd Sceptre

• umbiciles
  • 7390 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 03:45 AM

just got a sovtek mig 50 model 001 head and a beat up marshall 1960B cab w/ 75 watt speakers! sounds like a dream... now i've gotta find a 2X12 cab to practice with.

I've always heard great things about those amps. And I've liked what I've heard (of other people playing them), but I've never played one myself.

#38 Kurt Russell

Kurt Russell
  • umbiciles
  • 188 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 05:51 AM

FUCK YES! my AD140 came today, Now i just need to pick out a cab for it.

#39 eulogy

eulogy

Disco Flight

• umbiciles
  • 382 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 06:39 AM

Awesome dude! Congratulations!

Take a picture!

#40 Kurt Russell

Kurt Russell
  • umbiciles
  • 188 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:26 AM

will do, should be up by tomarrow, cause im fucking lazy and looking at all the wonderfullness of this shit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users