• Please log in to reply
216 replies to this topic

#201 Vairiant

Vairiant

I like my pockets fat not flat

• umbiciles
  • 9543 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 07:48 PM

Yeah nvm was a mixup, got a LinkedIn invite from Imani Waddy after I got one from AFTA-1, he had the same profile pic that AFTA-1's Pronounced Love LinkedIn account used

also with his new picture with the scarf/hat I kinda just jumped to conclusions/didn't really put it together

I'm pretty sure Aftathoughts was the only thing released on vinyl, don't think it's available anymore though.  I seem to remember pictures of the vinyl for it...

Also searched him on FB when I reactivated mine, had no idea he was on there. 

Hopefully dude adds me & we can be FB-official :daydream:

#202 sep

sep
  • umbiciles
  • 2851 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 10:35 PM

Toy Machines is so good. He's been really diversifying his shit and keeping it fresh, and it all still feels very Afta-1

#203 Abelian

Abelian

Trillionaire

• umbiciles
  • 7252 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 11:39 PM

The Time In Between / Nightlight early single/ep thing was released on vinyl, is all I know. Not sure about Aftathoughts Vol.1, I've never seen that available except as a download. I'm not liking all this multiple bandcamp and album/track title weirdness.

#204 Vairiant

Vairiant

• umbiciles
  • 9543 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 01:34 PM

Yeah that's right, think I mixed those up.  Don't think it was the Aftathoughts on vinyl actually.

And he definitely DIY made all of those F O R M tapes, kinda bummed I didn't get one but don't really have a decent tape deck.

I can't decide what all the factors are for him not releasing his stuff physically, maybe its monetary or because he wants to remain anonymous, or moreover I think he just realized he can make money digital-only.  Or maybe that was all an aftathought (lol c wut).

I'm not sure where that RecordShop link even came from -- it says it's based in Australia so it's all kinds of confusing.

That bandcamp definitely had the majority of his new releases before his official one did though.  But yeah, it's version of Toy Machines is noticeably more lo-fi.

Kinda disheartening with the duplicates, I guess it's a good strategy for making that $$$

Who knows though, maybe he has nothing to do with that bandcamp.

I probably wouldn't have purchased SMWW though had I known the connection before hand, especially since they were in yen and were like $12 an album.

Whatever though, dude deserves it for the amount of his stuff I've shared online over the years.

Can also safely say I wouldn't really even consider buying individual tracks from artists though if I didn't think they were quality.

All of the loose stuff he's released though is all pretty good.

But again, some of the tracks like that TVOOOO or whatever are re-worked old tracks he already made with different names.

Dude kinda just appeared out of the ether, I shared Aftathoughts after I got it from http://strictlybeats.blogspot.com/, and I'm pretty positive that was the first place his stuff showed up online.

That blog is still active too, and has a ton of awesome material you don't really find anywhere else.  Whoever runs that has got some choice connections.  I'm fairly positive it had a slightly different name though before and he/they re-activated it.  I'm pretty sure AFTA-1 submitted it to his site, as the chatbox is always packed with instrumental beatmakers posting to his blog.

Proud of the dude though, just goes to show that if you have quality material it can still find life digital-only.  I doubt he thought he'd be playing at Coachella when he first shared it.

I'd love to really talk to him about how that all worked out, especially the Japan-connection that was present since his inception.  Back when I first emailed him he said he was living in NY and was from CA -- he does a lot of work with Nikko Gray who I know for a fact lives in CA.

Plus all his comeback shows were in CA.

Idk if the Japan thing is a joke or if he really just bounces back and forth.  Really though he just strikes me as a dude who likes to stay out of reach to some degree.

#205 Vairiant

Vairiant

• umbiciles
  • 9543 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 01:51 PM

Yeah nvm that Strictlybeats blog has like 12 contributors

In fact I'm almost certain after the OG SB went down he or they brought it back

Because that SB doesn't have the original Aftathoughts Vol 1 post where I first heard it.

Wouldn't be surprised if they aped it and made it their own, it was an awesome blog when it first went up.  And I remember the guy who ran it made some post saying he was closing it or something.  Wouldn't be surprised if all those contributors just made it their own after being fans of his page.

Because as I remember he used to write/discuss the albums he was sharing, this new version is basically album art and the albums.

Either way I'm positive that was the first place he shared it, aside maybe releasing it in Japan first.  I'm almost thinking he released it physically in Japan too though, but maybe it was just the EP.

#206 sep

sep
  • umbiciles
  • 2851 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 03:45 PM

yeah, this is the version of Aftathoughts we got (the digital version) - http://www.discogs.c...release/1604683

apparently later that year he put it out as a CD too, in Japan - http://www.discogs.c...release/1423048

#207 sep

sep
  • umbiciles
  • 2851 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 04:29 PM

I want AFTATHOUGHTS VOL.2, tho

#208 Vairiant

Vairiant

• umbiciles
  • 9543 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 10:22 AM

Word, still think it might be my favorite.

Lighthouse is really awesome though.

Some of the tracks in H (eye) land I don't listen to as much but rly dude hasn't had a bad release, imo.

#209 sep

sep
  • umbiciles
  • 2851 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 02:57 PM

Aftathoughts is definitely a classic, and FORM is a masterpiece.

yeah he's consistently dope

#210 ghost falseswipe haunting book thread

ghost falseswipe haunting book thread
  • umbiciles
  • 1038 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 08:50 PM

Lighthouse is so intricate, mysterious, and beautiful.  Maybe the most awe-inspiring album of the year for me, even if it isn't the one I listen to the most.  I would LOVE to buy a vinyl copy and look at that artwork while it plays.

#211 sep

sep
  • umbiciles
  • 2851 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 12:28 PM

love the track "Mother Moon"

#212 Vairiant

Vairiant

• umbiciles
  • 9543 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 10:15 AM

wish I had a way to save the "mother earth" song he posted on some blog :L 

was another 15 min track

another newb

https://afta1.bandca...danced-with-you

vry nice

#213 Vairiant

Vairiant

• umbiciles
  • 9543 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 09:56 AM

new live album

http://afta1.bandcamp.com/album/7-7-15

has a few new tracks, one I'm on now is really nice

sum1 plz buy and share I am broke rn D:

#214 sep

sep
  • umbiciles
  • 2851 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 11:07 AM

yah I dug the fourth track

been revisiting Aftathoughts and FORM lately, timeless shit imo

#215 Vairiant

Vairiant

• umbiciles
  • 9543 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 04:49 PM

the video of that live album is pretty sweet too

thought dude was lighting a massive joint but throughout the set he lights a crystal and places it on his music equipment, lol.

curious how if even possible how that effects the sound

pretty sweet though

his little dance moves are the best lol

#216 sickatriz

sickatriz
  • umbiciles
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:skeletons

Posted 28 August 2015 - 11:00 AM

i never stopped loving this guys stuff.  i can't believe he's so prolific now after all this time.  thx for the uploads bruh

#217 sep

sep
  • umbiciles
  • 2851 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 10:12 AM

love Afta-1 forever

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users