Search the forums

Theme Settings

Slate Cloud Plum Berry Lime Orange

Photo

I'm using Urban Dictionary in an academic essy...

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Cocks 'n' Asses

Cocks 'n' Asses

Cocks 'N' Asses Everybody... Cocks 'N' Asses.

• umbiciles
  • 755 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 09:43 PM

This is either going to get me good marks, or completely destroy any chance i have of passing...

I'm writing a paper on the definitions of the term "mad" and the varying contexts which it is being used. Most of it is to be written using "thefreedictionary.com", and since we are allowd to incorporate its slang meaning, Urban Dictionary seemed like a good resourse for slang of the younger generation.

I dunno, i have a feeling this is going to kill me...

#2 ninboy

ninboy

Sluggard

• umbiciles
  • 4168 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 09:44 PM

Should be a mad essay.

#3 useded

useded
  • umbiciles
  • 686 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 09:44 PM

you are the master...

..Of possible fail.

#4 castrati

castrati

ωαρίων

• offal fellator
  • 3325 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 09:45 PM

i can has essy?

#5 musek

musek

words + pictures + data + maps

• umbiciles
  • 1267 posts
  • Interests:comics, veggies, urbanism, bicycles, inclusive fiscal diversity

Posted 29 March 2009 - 10:01 PM

4. essay

a mexican dude
Hey essay, who you tryin to get crazy with? don't you know i'm loco!!!

#6 Babdrag Ltd.

Babdrag Ltd.

b(r)oom bap-tist

• umbiciles
  • 1032 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 10:24 PM

use the OED, bro

it might cost money, but i've got it

so even if you're against it, i'm gonna
post this for you

-__________________-

mad (1) n.

1. A maggot or grub; esp. the larva of a blowfly, which causes a disease (cutaneous myiasis) in sheep. Also in pl.: the disease caused by the larva; strike.

2. An earthworm.

mad (2) n.

1. With pl. concord. With the: mad people as a class.

2. regional and colloq. (chiefly U.S.). Fury, anger; a fit of anger. Phrase to have a mad on. Formerly freq. in to get one's mad up.

mad, adjective

1. Of an animal: abnormally aggressive; spec. (esp. of a dog) suffering from rabies, rabid.

2. Of a person, action, disposition, etc.: uncontrolled by reason or judgement; foolish, unwise. Subsequently only in stronger use (corresponding to the modern restricted application of sense 4a, from which it is now often indistinguishable): extravagantly or wildly foolish; ruinously imprudent.

3. a. Of a person: carried away by or filled with enthusiasm or desire; wildly excited; infatuated. With about, after, for, of, on (chiefly Brit.), over, upon, with.

b. Chiefly Brit. With infinitive: wildly desirous (to do something).

c. Freq. used as the second element in adverbial noun compounds, as music-mad, poetry-mad, sex-mad, etc.

4. a. Of a person: insane, crazy; mentally unbalanced or deranged; subject to delusions or hallucinations; (in later use esp.) psychotic.

b. Causing madness. Obs. rare.

c. Of wind, a storm, the sea: wild, violent.

d. Of behaviour, speech, etc.: that resembles that of an insane person; suggestive or symptomatic of insanity.

5. Of a person: stupefied with astonishment, fear, or suffering; dazed. Obs.

6. a. Of a person: beside oneself with anger; moved to uncontrollable rage; furious.

b. Angry, irate, cross. Also, in weakened sense: annoyed, exasperated (with against, at, with, etc.). Now colloq. (chiefly N. Amer.) and Brit. regional.

7. a. Of a person: lacking in restraint; (wildly) unconventional in demeanour or conduct; marked by irresponsible gaiety; violently exuberant, outrageous, chaotic. Now freq. of an action, disposition, etc.

b. Characterizing a temporary state of fear, panic, etc.: frenetic, unrestrained, extreme.

c. slang (orig. U.S. in African-American usage). Used as a general term of approbation: (a) remarkable, appealing, exciting, wild; excellent, cool; (b) (in later use, as modifier, with stronger implications of extremity or abundance): unrestrained, total; copious, profuse; much.
Originally associated with U.S. jazz music, the term enjoyed a revival in Britain and the United States in the 1990s, esp. among participants in the dance-music and rave culture of the 1990s.

8. Fervent with poetic or divine inspiration. Now literary.

9. colloq. [After Special uses 2a.] Of an animal, esp. a cow: suffering from spongiform encephalopathy.

PHRASES

P1. like mad: (literally) in the manner of one who is mad; (hence) furiously, with excessive violence or enthusiasm; now often (colloq.) in weakened sense, as an intensifier: greatly, to a high degree. Also like any mad, for mad.

P2. Proverbial phrases.

a. as mad as Ajax Obs.

b. as mad as a brush (see BRUSH n.2 Additions).

c. as mad as a buck Obs.

d. as mad as a goose Obs.

e. as mad as a (March) hare (see HARE n. 1b, MARCH n.2 Compounds 2).

f. as mad as a hatter [see mad hatter n. at Special uses 3.]

g. as mad as a hornet N. Amer.

h. as mad as May butter

i. as mad as a meat axe (chiefly Austral. and N.Z.).

j. as mad as a (cut) snakeAustral.

k. as mad as a tup Eng. regional.

l. as mad as a weaver Obs.

m. as mad as a wet hen

P3. to go (also fall, run) mad

a. lit.

b. fig.

c. to drive mad: see DRIVE v. 17b.

d. to go mad (about, for, over, etc.): to allow oneself to be carried away by enthusiasm or excitement.

SPECIAL USES

S1. Parasynthetic.

mad-blooded adj.

mad-humoured adj.

mad-mooded adj.

mad-pated adj.

S2. a. mad cow disease n. colloq. (chiefly Brit.) bovine spongiform encephalopathy, a progressive, fatal disease of the central nervous system of cattle, prominent signs of which are unsteadiness of gait and behavioural abnormalities.

b. mad disease n. (a) humorous (in nonce-uses), an imaginary affliction of a specified animal, person, etc., esp. one causing unusual or erratic behaviour; (b) colloq. spongiform encephalopathy of the named species.

S3. mad hatter n. [after the name of the eccentric host at the ‘mad tea-party’ in Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (1865); in this, and in the phrase mad as a hatter (see Phrases 2), the allusion is to the effects of mercury poisoning sometimes formerly suffered by hat-makers as a result of the use of mercurous nitrate in the manufacture of felt hats] a highly eccentric or crazy character (freq. in mad hatter's tea party).

mad itch n. Veterinary Med. pseudorabies (Aujeszky's disease), esp. in ruminants and other species in which intense pruritus is a prominent feature (see PSEUDORABIES n. 2).

mad mick n. [rhyming slang] orig. and chiefly Austral. a pick, a pickaxe (see also quot. 1935).

mad minute n. Army slang a minute of rapid rifle-fire or frenzied bayonet-practice.

mad money n. colloq. money for use in an emergency or in any unexpected eventuality; money that is surplus to one's normal requirements and which may be spent on a whim.

mad nightshade n. [after post-classical Latin solanum manicum, Middle French solanum furieux] Obs. deadly nightshade, Atropa belladonna.

Mad Parliament n. [after post-classical Latin insane Parliamentum (see quot. 1274)] Eng. Hist. (a name given to) the meeting of the barons at Oxford in 1258, which passed the ‘Provisions of Oxford’.

mad scene n. Theatre a scene depicting the insanity of one of the characters in a play, opera, etc.

mad scientist n. a scientist who is mad or eccentric, esp. so as to be dangerous or evil: a stock figure of melodramatic horror stories; freq. attrib.

madtom n. any of various small North American freshwater catfishes of the genus Noturus (family Ictaluridae), which can inflict wounds with the poisonous spines in their pectoral fins.

DERIVATIVES

mad-like adj.

mad, verb

1. intr.

a. To be or to become mad; to act like a madman, rage, behave furiously. Obs. (arch. in later use).

b. To become infatuated. With after, upon. Obs.

c. Phrase to go (also run) madding. Cf. MADDING n. Obs.

2. trans. To make mad; to madden, make insane; to make foolish (obs.); to bewilder, stupefy, daze (obs.); to infuriate, enrage. Now chiefly U.S. colloq.: to exasperate.

mad, adverb

1. In a strange or unusual manner. Obs. rare.

2. a. Furiously, with excessive violence or enthusiasm; to the point of madness. Now usually in weakened sense, as an intensifier: greatly, excessively, extremely, very. Now regional and colloq. (esp. in African-American usage).
Recorded earliest in compounds.

b. mad in love: fervently or passionately in love. Now colloq.

COMPOUNDS

C1. (In sense 2a.)

mad-blazing adj.

mad-hardiness n. Obs. rare

mad-hardy adj. Obs. rare

mad-hungry adj.

mad-merry adj. Obs.

mad-proud adj. Obs. rare

C2. mad keen adj. orig. Sc. very keen, wildly enthusiastic.

#7 castrati

castrati

ωαρίων

• offal fellator
  • 3325 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 11:38 PM

OED rules

the entry on "fuck" is pretty epic

#8 Joan Holloway

Joan Holloway

Whatever could be on your mind?

• umbiciles
  • 17607 posts
  • Interests:Cats

Posted 29 March 2009 - 11:39 PM

I'm sure you'll do fine.

One of my favourite stories involves how I did a first year philosophy essay using wikipedia as my main source and got a High Distinction. The only negative comment I got on that paper was "do NOT reference wikipedia".

#9 The Dharma Bum

The Dharma Bum

insert trendy insightful quote here

• umbiciles
  • 1728 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 11:58 PM

http://www.urbandict.....0Street Sweep

#10 Kablam

Kablam

blahblahblah i'm a kittycat

• bubble head nurse
  • 7764 posts
  • Interests:mean muggin'

Posted 30 March 2009 - 12:00 AM

LOL WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!

#11 Shakedown Street

Shakedown Street

Sunset Limited

• umbiciles
  • 5540 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 12:02 AM

Using the urban dictionary which is mostly a comedy website, or wikipedia which is user generated content is pretty retarded, unless you are writing a paper that is about the fallacy of pop culture. Im not sure what grade level you are in, but i think at any level i would fail you for using illegitimate sources. You may as well fucking cite umbilicalblisters.com and say you found the term used different ways on the message board that you talk on.

#12 useded

useded
  • umbiciles
  • 686 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 12:53 AM

:boxxy:

#13 Grain Belt Premium

Grain Belt Premium
  • STEROID POSTING SQUAD
  • 13699 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 12:57 AM

I wrote the greatest essay about the great gatsby in highschool

I used internet speak and abbreviations

I also gave every character a nickname so if you didn't read the first paragraph you wouldn't know what the fuck I was talking about

I wish I still had it, I got like a B or something.

#14 static

static

chiastic slide

• lentic catachresis
  • 17006 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 01:00 AM

we have this old dictionary at my house and one day i came across 'fart', which was defined as:
"A slight explosion between the thighs."

#15 Shakedown Street

Shakedown Street

Sunset Limited

• umbiciles
  • 5540 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 01:25 AM

I wrote the greatest essay about the great gatsby in highschool

I used internet speak and abbreviations

I also gave every character a nickname so if you didn't read the first paragraph you wouldn't know what the fuck I was talking about

I wish I still had it, I got like a B or something.

if you are suppose to write in a different style or theme that doesnt fit traditional writing that is one thing. but to use non scholarly sources just seem like a lame theme to me.

#16 Remedy Malahide

Remedy Malahide

Do not punish yourself; you deprive the world of its purpose.

• umbiciles
  • 11429 posts
  • Nemesis:hippies

Posted 30 March 2009 - 09:48 AM

we have this old dictionary at my house and one day i came across 'fart', which was defined as:
"A slight explosion between the thighs."

hahahaha that's lovely

#17 Babdrag Ltd.

Babdrag Ltd.

b(r)oom bap-tist

• umbiciles
  • 1032 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 09:59 AM

OED rules

the entry on "fuck" is pretty epic

my current english professor supposedly worked for the OED
at some point and he did the entry for mother fucker

look the shit up

#18 robbie

robbie

paint the black hole blacker

• umbiciles
  • 4149 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 10:15 AM

don't do it

i would never consider it

#19 indie as muk

indie as muk

#89 Type:Poison Species:Sludge

• umbiciles
  • 1185 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 10:18 AM

speaking of essays

im so sick of fucking essays

im currently working on 3 diff ones and will have even more to do before the month is up

i like writing

but FUCK!

#20 bird

bird

who invited steve? that dude's a cunt...

• umbiciles
  • 7060 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 10:19 AM

LOL WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!

someone make a thread for funny sex things like this. lols will be had by all unless you are a ccotton headed ninny muggins

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users