Theme Settings

Slate Cloud Plum Berry Lime Orange

Photo

The Official Jam Thread!

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Cocks 'n' Asses

Cocks 'n' Asses

Cocks 'N' Asses Everybody... Cocks 'N' Asses.

• umbiciles
  • 755 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 08:55 PM

I thought it would be cool to have a thread purely dedicated to talking about jams peeps have had, or are going to have. Whether in a band or individually. How do you like to jam? Completely improv? Structured? Pre-organised? Do you even like to jam?

If there are clips and recordings, they too can be posted along. I've actually got some from a jam a had a while ago, which im about to get into things again, and me and my friend are going to begin working those songs again, which were completely improvised at the time. I listen back to them now and see so much potential, i can't believe they just sat away. So when i can find the time to up them all up, i shall do. Some definate gold in there.

I don't really know if there is another thread like this, or if it is even worthwhile. But none-the-less...

Here is The Official Jam Thread!

GO!

#2 Guest_panopticonpeter _*

Guest_panopticonpeter _*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2009 - 09:09 PM

fish sux

#3 whatever man

whatever man
  • umbiciles
  • 2747 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 09:12 PM

Rod Lewis, Clock Strikes and I are planning to have a jam at some point which will be comprised of piano accordion, ukulele, mandolin and twelve string acoustic guitar. Not sure when we'll get this happening and with who, but it's going to be a beautiful sound.

I'm a big fan of the pure improv jam - but they are always a lot more fun to play than to listen to. Also a fan of putting a "jam" section somewhere within a structured song for live playing. It can be hard to do and do well, but it can sound sooooooo good when it comes together.

I love jamming though... and would probably be a far shittier guitar player if I hadn't done so much of it over the years. Listening to, augmenting, complementing, building on what the other people are playing is a skill that takes a lot of work to get good at... and no, I don't profess to be particularly good at it. :/

lol phish - i have heard maybe 60 seconds total of this band's music in my life. phish might = jamming, but jamming definitely >>> phish.

#4 ninboy

ninboy

Sluggard

• umbiciles
  • 4168 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 10:07 PM

19th Jewlie

#5 ???

???
  • umbiciles
  • 3695 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 11:47 PM

i hate when bands jam for live shows, the whole "jam band" genre bores the shit out of me, but during rehearsals i like to jamm

my old band recorded this 24 minute improv jam and it was pretty sweet, gotta find that recording

#6 POTEM

POTEM
  • umbiciles
  • 236 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 12:13 AM

There used to be this thing in my town every second Tuesday called Off the Grid. It was essentially just a jam that this jazz guitarist organized in the local art center and a bunch of random people would just show up with their instruments (usually two or three guitars a bass, a flute, a percussionist or two, a harp and depending on the day a sax and maybe a few trumpets)and improvise for two hours. Sometimes there would be fifteen people sometimes just three. I would usually go to watch but I also played a handful of times. It was a sweet experience because I would get to play with a lot of older people with tonnes of experience. It was also good ear training because it was completely unstructured. Sometimes we would end up playing crazy ass free jazz sometimes something really post-rockish and sometimes just a random mess. This might still go on but the band Im in now practices on Tuesdays so I can never go anymore.'

#7 bloop

bloop
  • umbiciles
  • 11214 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 12:59 AM

i hate when bands jam for live shows, the whole "jam band" genre bores the shit out of me, but during rehearsals i like to jamm

#8 fun guy

fun guy

fucking

• rider of chill waves
  • 15014 posts
  • Interests:BBBBBBBBB
    BBBBBBBBB
    BBBBBBBBB
    BBBBBBBBB
    BBBBBBBBB
    BBBBBBBBB
    BBBBBUTTS
  • Nemesis:LIFE

Posted 03 March 2009 - 01:16 AM

You guys, sometimes....
The "jam band" as it is today is lame, sure, but to say something like that? "I hate when bands jam for live shows," Really?
That's like saying "I don't like jazz and improvisation." Oh, no thank you, I'd prefer it if every live show was just a recreation of the sounds as they appear on record.
bleh, jamming is cool in live shows.
Maybe not jam bands, though......phish is quite lame....

#9 palp

palp

don't let your retinas burn up

• umbiciles
  • 5874 posts
  • Interests:reeling in cracks

Posted 03 March 2009 - 01:16 AM

i like to do it and i like to listen to it

jamming with people is best, obv, but jamming by yourself can be fun too

although sometimes i jam by myself for 3 hours and then i feel like an idiot

hey i'm an idiot, sup

when i jam by myself it's usually much more idgaf than with people

cause i'm the only one who has to hear it

#10 fun guy

fun guy

fucking

• rider of chill waves
  • 15014 posts
    BBBBBBBBB
    BBBBBBBBB
    BBBBBBBBB
    BBBBBBBBB
    BBBBBBBBB
    BBBBBUTTS

Posted 03 March 2009 - 01:17 AM

There used to be this thing in my town every second Tuesday called Off the Grid. It was essentially just a jam that this jazz guitarist organized in the local art center and a bunch of random people would just show up with their instruments (usually two or three guitars a bass, a flute, a percussionist or two, a harp and depending on the day a sax and maybe a few trumpets)and improvise for two hours. Sometimes there would be fifteen people sometimes just three. I would usually go to watch but I also played a handful of times. It was a sweet experience because I would get to play with a lot of older people with tonnes of experience. It was also good ear training because it was completely unstructured. Sometimes we would end up playing crazy ass free jazz sometimes something really post-rockish and sometimes just a random mess. This might still go on but the band Im in now practices on Tuesdays so I can never go anymore.'

That sounds really cool.

#11 fun guy

fun guy

fucking

• rider of chill waves
  • 15014 posts
    BBBBBBBBB
    BBBBBBBBB
    BBBBBBBBB
    BBBBBBBBB
    BBBBBBBBB
    BBBBBUTTS

Posted 03 March 2009 - 01:18 AM

hey i'm an idiot, sup

oh hey me too lol

#12 bloop

bloop
  • umbiciles
  • 11214 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 01:24 AM

The only jam band I like is Acid Mothers Temple, but a lot of their material is bad

I like a lot of improvised music, like supersilent, but I wouldn't say they're a jam band

#13 bloop

bloop
  • umbiciles
  • 11214 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 01:31 AM

Oh, no thank you, I'd prefer it if every live show was just a recreation of the sounds as they appear on record.

also jamming is not the only way of making a live show different. there are many other ways of making it sound new on stage. for example, kayo dot apparently play songs slower so they don't come off as rushed as they do on record (bld). thus making things more "airy" and focused, basically better. according to what people have said, thoughz.

#14 fun guy

fun guy

fucking

• rider of chill waves
  • 15014 posts
    BBBBBBBBB
    BBBBBBBBB
    BBBBBBBBB
    BBBBBBBBB
    BBBBBBBBB
    BBBBBUTTS

Posted 03 March 2009 - 01:31 AM

You guys, sometimes....
The "jam band" as it is today is lame, sure, but to say something like that? "I hate when bands jam for live shows," Really?
That's like saying "I don't like jazz and improvisation." Oh, no thank you, I'd prefer it if every live show was just a recreation of the sounds as they appear on record.
bleh, jamming is cool in live shows.
Maybe not jam bands, though......phish is quite lame....

no it's not the same, rock jams are wanky and noodly-doodly while jazz and experimental and other improvisation is awesome if the musicians that do it are.
like mars volta jams are usually boring, but supersilent improv sessions are the bee's knees. jazz and improvised music is different, because it's not about "jamming" and fucking around, it's about listening to the others, considering what you're doing, and use improvisation as a compositional tool and stuff. basically rock improvisation is different, it's usually about having fun and not really thinking about what you're doing. some are good at it, like AMT, because they use cool alien sounds and stuff, but some are bad.

In the terms of this thread, to jam means to improvise and play shit. It has nothing to do with how noodly it is.
I know you just felt like slipping that bit in to let everyone know you don't like TMV but it was irrelevant. I like TMV and Supersilent and AMT!! gasp
The bit in the middle there is pretty much just wrong :pardon:
People could argue that "jamming" in whatever kind of music ie rock is communication between musicians, and just like any other form of improvisation.
So, it's not as simple as that....

hey i'm an idiot, sup

oh hey me too lol

sup

:ohay:

#15 bloop

bloop
  • umbiciles
  • 11214 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 01:40 AM

I do differentiate between jamming and other forms of improvisation, I don't think all of them should just be referred to with one word, "jamming"

And I don't dislike TMV, I dislike their jamming. Too long and wanky, with some random guys behind there pretty much doing nothing compared to certain other members of the band.

#16 Guest_koreasilver_*

Guest_koreasilver_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2009 - 01:46 AM

I just generally play along until some sort of idea sets in, and from there on I try to focus on that general idea.

#17 nice

nice

Electric Wizard

• fenomeno
  • 9547 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 01:48 AM

improv jamming is the greatest. I find that it is much easier for me to come up with song idea unless I am playing with people. improvised jams are usually where I discover new ideas.

#18 nice

nice

Electric Wizard

• fenomeno
  • 9547 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 01:53 AM

I can get down with some jam bands. Mainly the Allman Brothers and the Grateful Dead but that's not what this thread is about.

#19 tnáchouu

tnáchouu
  • umbiciles
  • 764 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 02:30 AM

i dig it
always have and always will
live it shud be done with care and a lot of selflessness so to speak
thats with my drummer friend
after min 5 it is 'improv' or 'jammin' or watever ya'll wanna call it

#20 static

static