Theme Settings

Slate Cloud Plum Berry Lime Orange

Photo

HIP-HOP CONVENTION

• Please log in to reply
3073 replies to this topic

#1 sheff

sheff

I just checked in to see what condition my condition was in.

• umbiciles
  • 741 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 07:36 PM

Posted Image

Hello! and welcome to The Comatorium's first ever hip-hop convention for the uniformed. I Hottnikkels will be your host for the evening and what an exciting and informative evening it will be. We have an all-star line-up of some of the comatoriums best and brightest members that will be voicing their opinions on the benefits of listening to hip-hop music and why one would be best to not dismiss an entire genre of music and especially one as creative and promising as the genre of hip-hop. This convention is inspired by the realization that a large number of Comatoriums feel that this genre has nothing to offer and is only about bling-bling, degrading women, and violence. This convention's not saying you have to like hip-hop, but rather that you should respect it and understand that it's just as promising and authentic as any other art-form or musical genre. Our speakers for the evening are myself, Nivius, Dr. Fong, and Stalktheground 11. (Note: some of these posts have been edited to fit into the context of this convention, but no words have been added and the points remain the same)

Well without further adue our first speaker will be Nivius and our good friend and jazzman Agrajag has infromed me that he has prepared an introduction speech.

Oh damn. Nivius is about to come in and start ripping you up, Brace yourselfÂ

umm................ *clears throat* thank you for that Agrajag mellow.gif

Hip hop is in many ways the most innovative and consistently evolving music genre around, as well as the newest. So yeah, you've got The Game and 50 Cent, but for those guys there is a creative flank, as is the case with ABSOLUTELY ANYTHING.

Check it;
Unsatisfied with 50? Listen to MF Doom.
Don't dig The Game? Try Blackalicious.
Absolutely hate Eminem? Please. get to Aesop Rock.
Craving for some creative rap in the mainstream? Outkast.

I can name more shitty rock acts than I can rap acts.

Well put Nivius, a man of few words, but he knows how to get to the heart of an argument. And that was nice of you to show your support Stalks. Well I suppose I'll go next.

The possibilities with rap are as endless as any other genre. I don't see why people continue to single out the genre of hip-hop as something less substantial or less promising than any other artform. Hip-hop has the ability to incorporate anything and everything a person chooses to fuse it with. Just because YOU don't see a huge amount of variety in alot of hip-hop doesn't mean it isn't happening. Hip-hop is the youngest of all the popular genres, it's only been around for 20 years and it's been evolving and growing since it's birth just like every other genre of music. Hip-hop can go where ever you can take it, and you can be as creative as your mind will allow you to be, you don't have to sample or loop anything, you can put together a rock band and make hip-hop music, you can put together a jazz trio and make hip-hop music, you can put together a damn polka group and make hip-hop music if you want to, or you can fuse all of those genres together and make hip-hop music and you could stay true to the form and retain the essence and spirit thats existed in hip-hop since the beginning. American popular rock didn't start until the late 40's and it was 20 years after that when Sgt. Pepper was released and made people aware of all of it's possibilities. I'm already aware of hip-hop's potential and thanks to the open-mindedness of the youth, all of the great music to be inspired by, and p2p internet sharing the most creative minds of this young and already impressive genre are still yet to be seen.

Thank you, Thank you. Please take your seats, you're all to kind.

Up next we have not Dr. dre, not Dr. doom, but your one and only lovable Dr. Fong.

QUOTE(DrFong241 @ Feb 13 2005, 01:23 AM)
You need to rip your head from your ass and try to open your ears to some genuinely innovative music, rock and roll borrows from itself all the time, but since you need a reason to condemn an entire genre you can't accept it's being done in rap. Hip hop is the most vocally based music form, it relies on a person being actually talented at writing lyrics and following a poetic meter. I repeat, take your head out of your ass, then listen to some music you've never heard before, read a book, then kill yourself.

AND ITS ORIGINAL

QUOTE(Stalktheground11 @ Feb 13 2005, 10:33 AM)
Fong, that burn was very nice. Worthy of five golf claps.

QUOTE(itchy @ Feb 13 2005, 12:59 PM)
Fong I love you.

Well, well, well, looks like Fong's got a few supporters. Well put my friend your cander is offensive, enlightening, and hilarious all at the same time and you have my admiration.

Closing things out tonite we have our resident intellectual and occasional funnyman Mr. Stalktheground11.

QUOTE(Stalktheground11 @ Dec 24 2004, 07:34 PM)
To be quite honest, there is more of a sense of discovery, independence, freshness, and relevance to hip hop than there is in rock right now. Even currently good bands like The Arcade Fire and Broken Social Scene exist on the basis of foundations laid by bands before them whereas hip-hop is the only medium with something to say. Just because there is much bullshit on the radio does not constitute the dismissal of an entire genre.

I don't give a damn what anybody says but as tough as it was to write Deloused in the Comatorium, it was probably as tough to bring together Shades of Blue or Madvillainy. In fact, I'd argue there is more of an intellectual sense of criticism in hip-hop than there ever was in rock. Rarely, excluding the lyrical dryness of certain bands during the punk era, has there been a rock band with the same weight lyrically - rock bands seem to only criticize society in terms of their musical approach. With hip-hop, the ideas are substantiated by the music and then subsequently prevalent in the wordplay and furthermore, through sampling, hip-hop always can retain a fresh identity. If anything rock is more visceral and less thought out than rap, so I don't want to hear anymore of this bullshit about the lack of intellect in hip-hop. A couple of bad apples on the radio don't ruin rock music - I don't see why the same shouldn't hold true for hip-hop.

QUOTE(JenniferGrahm @ Dec 24 2004, 07:58 PM)
WOW, CAN YOU SAY WNED?

Seriously though, well said.

That WAS well said and that concludes our first ever hip-hop convention for the uninformed, but wait, I know alot of you are thinking well I'm hearing all of these great things, but where can I find these albums and what are they. Well your in luck cause here are a few good hip-hop albums to download and I encourage others to add onto this list with their own posts.

Deltron 3030 - Deltron 3030
MF Doom - MM Food
Blackalicious - Blazing Arrow
Binary Star - Masters Of The Universe
Madvillain - Madvillainy
Haiku D'Etat - Haiku D'Etat
The Pharcyde - Bizarre Ride To The Pharcyde
Dalek - Absence
Mos Def - Black on Both Sides
A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Marauders
Prefuse 73 - One Word Extinguisher
Slum Village - Fantastic Vol. 1
Count Bass D - Dwight Spitz
Cannibal Ox - The Cold Vein
Gnarls Barkley - St. Elsewhere
Jneiro Jarel - Three Piece Puzzle
Aceyalone - All Balls Don't Bounce
Time Machine - Slow Your Roll
Panacea - Ink Is My Drink
Subtle - For Hero: For Fool
J Dilla - Donuts
King Gheedorah - Take Me To Your Leader
Flying Lotus - 1983
Dr. Octagon - Dr Octagonacologyst
Q-Tip - Kamaal The Abstract
Dj Shadow - Endtroducing
DM (Danger Mouse) and Gemini - Ghetto Pop Life
Organized Konfusion - Organized Konfusion
The Roots - The Roots Come Alive
Boom Bip & Doseone - Circle
Outkast - Stankonia
RjD2 - Deadringer
Souls of Mischief - 93 Till Infinity
Aesop Rock - Labor Days
Cage - Hell's Winter
Jurassic 5 - Power In Numbers
Nas - Illmatic
Digable planets - Reachin
Yesterday's New Quintet - Angles Without Edges
Blackstar - Blackstar
De La Soul - De La Soul Is Dead
Madlib - Shades of Blue
Common - Resurrection
Quasimoto - The Unseen
The foreign Exchange - Connected
13 and God - 13 and God
Cyne - Evolution Fight
DangerDoom - The Mouse and The Mask
Gza - liquid swords
Edan - Beauty and the Beat
Sound Directions - The Funky Side Of Life

Please feel more than free to post this link anytime you feel it's necessary, and hopefully this convention will save some of us alot of time and energy in the future.

#2 charles

charles

academic excellence

• umbiciles
  • 17896 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 09:16 PM

i'm hoping to see all the old school convention greats here.

#3 prose before hos

prose before hos
  • umbiciles
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 09:17 PM

How's the new Nas?

#4 wasco

wasco

there will be snacks

• umbiciles
  • 1609 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 09:20 PM

This thread isn't the same without the epic introduction.

#5 rpmlem

rpmlem
  • umbiciles
  • 7258 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 09:23 PM

How's the new Nas?

i like it. though i must have played it out a little since i haven't listened to it for a week or so.

#6 charles

charles

academic excellence

• umbiciles
  • 17896 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 09:46 PM

who wrote the new intro anyway?

#7 nice

nice

Electric Wizard

• fenomeno
  • 9547 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 10:02 PM

http://thecomatorium...php/t35596.html someone copy the old intro or something.

#8 nice

nice

Electric Wizard

• fenomeno
  • 9547 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 10:03 PM

but yeah I've been listening to Immortal Technique lately I am going to his show next week.

#9 trans anus express

trans anus express

Word Creator. Period Enthusiast. Man. Mom.

• umbiciles
  • 6023 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 01:21 AM

but yeah I've been listening to Immortal Technique lately I am going to his show next week.

I'm going to immortal tech tomorrow

and maybe Nas / Talib on friday, but it's expensive so, idk

#10 ron

ron

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( ͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜

• otter madness
  • 13629 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 01:27 AM

dear sheff, please edit first post:

Posted Image

Hello! and welcome to The Comatorium's first ever hip-hop convention for the uniformed. I Hottnikkels will be your host for the evening and what an exciting and informative evening it will be. We have an all-star line-up of some of the comatoriums best and brightest members that will be voicing their opinions on the benefits of listening to hip-hop music and why one would be best to not dismiss an entire genre of music and especially one as creative and promising as the genre of hip-hop. This convention is inspired by the realization that a large number of Comatoriums feel that this genre has nothing to offer and is only about bling-bling, degrading women, and violence. This convention's not saying you have to like hip-hop, but rather that you should respect it and understand that it's just as promising and authentic as any other art-form or musical genre. Our speakers for the evening are myself, Nivius, Dr. Fong, and Stalktheground 11. (Note: some of these posts have been edited to fit into the context of this convention, but no words have been added and the points remain the same)

Well without further adue our first speaker will be Nivius and our good friend and jazzman Agrajag has infromed me that he has prepared an introduction speech.

Oh damn. Nivius is about to come in and start ripping you up, Brace yourselfÂ

umm................ *clears throat* thank you for that Agrajag mellow.gif

Hip hop is in many ways the most innovative and consistently evolving music genre around, as well as the newest. So yeah, you've got The Game and 50 Cent, but for those guys there is a creative flank, as is the case with ABSOLUTELY ANYTHING.

Check it;
Unsatisfied with 50? Listen to MF Doom.
Don't dig The Game? Try Blackalicious.
Absolutely hate Eminem? Please. get to Aesop Rock.
Craving for some creative rap in the mainstream? Outkast.

I can name more shitty rock acts than I can rap acts.

Well put Nivius, a man of few words, but he knows how to get to the heart of an argument. And that was nice of you to show your support Stalks. Well I suppose I'll go next.

The possibilities with rap are as endless as any other genre. I don't see why people continue to single out the genre of hip-hop as something less substantial or less promising than any other artform. Hip-hop has the ability to incorporate anything and everything a person chooses to fuse it with. Just because YOU don't see a huge amount of variety in alot of hip-hop doesn't mean it isn't happening. Hip-hop is the youngest of all the popular genres, it's only been around for 20 years and it's been evolving and growing since it's birth just like every other genre of music. Hip-hop can go where ever you can take it, and you can be as creative as your mind will allow you to be, you don't have to sample or loop anything, you can put together a rock band and make hip-hop music, you can put together a jazz trio and make hip-hop music, you can put together a damn polka group and make hip-hop music if you want to, or you can fuse all of those genres together and make hip-hop music and you could stay true to the form and retain the essence and spirit thats existed in hip-hop since the beginning. American popular rock didn't start until the late 40's and it was 20 years after that when Sgt. Pepper was released and made people aware of all of it's possibilities. I'm already aware of hip-hop's potential and thanks to the open-mindedness of the youth, all of the great music to be inspired by, and p2p internet sharing the most creative minds of this young and already impressive genre are still yet to be seen.

Thank you, Thank you. Please take your seats, you're all to kind.

Up next we have not Dr. dre, not Dr. doom, but your one and only lovable Dr. Fong.

QUOTE(DrFong241 @ Feb 13 2005, 01:23 AM)
You need to rip your head from your ass and try to open your ears to some genuinely innovative music, rock and roll borrows from itself all the time, but since you need a reason to condemn an entire genre you can't accept it's being done in rap. Hip hop is the most vocally based music form, it relies on a person being actually talented at writing lyrics and following a poetic meter. I repeat, take your head out of your ass, then listen to some music you've never heard before, read a book, then kill yourself.

AND ITS ORIGINAL

QUOTE(Stalktheground11 @ Feb 13 2005, 10:33 AM)
Fong, that burn was very nice. Worthy of five golf claps.

QUOTE(itchy @ Feb 13 2005, 12:59 PM)
Fong I love you.

Well, well, well, looks like Fong's got a few supporters. Well put my friend your cander is offensive, enlightening, and hilarious all at the same time and you have my admiration.

Closing things out tonite we have our resident intellectual and occasional funnyman Mr. Stalktheground11.

QUOTE(Stalktheground11 @ Dec 24 2004, 07:34 PM)
To be quite honest, there is more of a sense of discovery, independence, freshness, and relevance to hip hop than there is in rock right now. Even currently good bands like The Arcade Fire and Broken Social Scene exist on the basis of foundations laid by bands before them whereas hip-hop is the only medium with something to say. Just because there is much bullshit on the radio does not constitute the dismissal of an entire genre.

I don't give a damn what anybody says but as tough as it was to write Deloused in the Comatorium, it was probably as tough to bring together Shades of Blue or Madvillainy. In fact, I'd argue there is more of an intellectual sense of criticism in hip-hop than there ever was in rock. Rarely, excluding the lyrical dryness of certain bands during the punk era, has there been a rock band with the same weight lyrically - rock bands seem to only criticize society in terms of their musical approach. With hip-hop, the ideas are substantiated by the music and then subsequently prevalent in the wordplay and furthermore, through sampling, hip-hop always can retain a fresh identity. If anything rock is more visceral and less thought out than rap, so I don't want to hear anymore of this bullshit about the lack of intellect in hip-hop. A couple of bad apples on the radio don't ruin rock music - I don't see why the same shouldn't hold true for hip-hop.

QUOTE(JenniferGrahm @ Dec 24 2004, 07:58 PM)
WOW, CAN YOU SAY WNED?

Seriously though, well said.

That WAS well said and that concludes our first ever hip-hop convention for the uninformed, but wait, I know alot of you are thinking well I'm hearing all of these great things, but where can I find these albums and what are they. Well your in luck cause here are a few good hip-hop albums to download and I encourage others to add onto this list with their own posts.

Deltron 3030 - Deltron 3030
MF Doom - MM Food
Blackalicious - Blazing Arrow
Binary Star - Masters Of The Universe
Madvillain - Madvillainy
Haiku D'Etat - Haiku D'Etat
The Pharcyde - Bizarre Ride To The Pharcyde
Dalek - Absence
Mos Def - Black on Both Sides
A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Marauders
Prefuse 73 - One Word Extinguisher
Slum Village - Fantastic Vol. 1
Count Bass D - Dwight Spitz
Cannibal Ox - The Cold Vein
Gnarls Barkley - St. Elsewhere
Jneiro Jarel - Three Piece Puzzle
Aceyalone - All Balls Don't Bounce
Time Machine - Slow Your Roll
Panacea - Ink Is My Drink
Subtle - For Hero: For Fool
J Dilla - Donuts
King Gheedorah - Take Me To Your Leader
Flying Lotus - 1983
Dr. Octagon - Dr Octagonacologyst
Q-Tip - Kamaal The Abstract
Dj Shadow - Endtroducing
DM (Danger Mouse) and Gemini - Ghetto Pop Life
Organized Konfusion - Organized Konfusion
The Roots - The Roots Come Alive
Boom Bip & Doseone - Circle
Outkast - Stankonia
RjD2 - Deadringer
Souls of Mischief - 93 Till Infinity
Aesop Rock - Labor Days
Cage - Hell's Winter
Jurassic 5 - Power In Numbers
Nas - Illmatic
Digable planets - Reachin
Yesterday's New Quintet - Angles Without Edges
Blackstar - Blackstar
De La Soul - De La Soul Is Dead
Madlib - Shades of Blue
Common - Resurrection
Quasimoto - The Unseen
The foreign Exchange - Connected
13 and God - 13 and God
Cyne - Evolution Fight
DangerDoom - The Mouse and The Mask
Gza - liquid swords
Edan - Beauty and the Beat
Sound Directions - The Funky Side Of Life

Please feel more than free to post this link anytime you feel it's necessary, and hopefully this convention will save some of us alot of time and energy in the future.

#11 narcissus

narcissus

narkissos

• umbiciles
  • 2964 posts
  • Nemesis:narcissus

Posted 23 July 2008 - 06:43 AM

epic.

#12 Vairiant

Vairiant

I like my pockets fat not flat

• umbiciles
  • 9543 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 07:21 AM

#13 narcissus

narcissus

narkissos

• umbiciles
  • 2964 posts
  • Nemesis:narcissus

Posted 23 July 2008 - 07:36 AM

sup var

#14 sheff

sheff

I just checked in to see what condition my condition was in.

• umbiciles
  • 741 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 08:13 AM

I would have, but this place seems to lack the feature of editing thread titles.

#15 Guest_panopticonpeter_*

Guest_panopticonpeter_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2008 - 08:18 AM

I'm going to try and spend more time here.
expand my musical horizons

#16 bodegas

bodegas
  • ROC PILE
  • 3694 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 08:31 AM

pin plz

#17 Vairiant

Vairiant

• umbiciles
  • 9543 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 08:33 AM

sup narci and all

hopefully nikks and some others make it back -- he suggested I get this before the coma died so if anyone else wants to check it out:

Posted Image
Reks - Grey Hairs

#18 nice

nice

Electric Wizard

• fenomeno
  • 9547 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 09:09 AM

is it good? Good looking album cover. I will check it out

#19 rpmlem

rpmlem
  • umbiciles
  • 7258 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 11:06 AM

i want the real Madvillainy 2.

this is really expensive and if its just a remix album it shouldnt be called Madvillainy 2 in my opinion.

#20 Tamas

Tamas

It's the neeeewwwww

• umbiciles
  • 4507 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 11:26 AM

130?

I loves me some Madvillain, but I'm gonna have to think about this one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users